Killed my d800e

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?
Killed my d800e
Apr 6, 2013

Just dropped by d800e with a sigma 50-500 OS on the front of it onto a tiled floor

The lens has broken at the lens mount into two parts and the camera won't switch on at all. It looks like the viewfinder are took the brunt of the blow as the viewfinder cover has separated at one corner from the body.

hopefully not terminal for lens or camera, but surely expensive

what is amazing is how little damage there is to the body given ht it fell from 4 feet onto clay tiles.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Killed my d800e
In reply to WIMorrison, Apr 6, 2013

before anyone else gets negative with this....I am sorry for hearing this happened to you. This hurts every single time we hear of something like this taking place. I wish you the best and hope you get up and running soon. I hope you have insurance that covers this specifically.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?

Ouch. My condolences. Sounds terminal to me.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?

That totally sucks. Check with your Credit Card company. Some will insure purchases, although often there are monetary limits. Also, if this happened in your home, it may be covered by homeowners insurance.

Good luck!

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
overniteman
Regular MemberPosts: 488
Like?
In reply to Joe Porto, Apr 6, 2013

Ugh!

Anker BergSonne
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?

WIMorrison wrote:

Just dropped by d800e with a sigma 50-500 OS on the front of it onto a tiled floor

The lens has broken at the lens mount into two parts and the camera won't switch on at all. It looks like the viewfinder are took the brunt of the blow as the viewfinder cover has separated at one corner from the body.

what is amazing is how little damage there is to the body given ht it fell from 4 feet onto clay tiles.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Remember that the IRS allows casualty loss deductions. Not sure what the rules are any more, but worth checking.

Dropped a lens once. Taught me an expensive lesson.

Anker

Anker BergSonne's gear list:Anker BergSonne's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?

I'm curious if you use a camera strap on the camera or a hand strap?

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,450Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anker BergSonne, Apr 6, 2013

Me 2 £500 for a Nikon 70-200 VR I and feel sorry for the op.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D7100 +47 more
lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 988Gear list
Like?

That totally sucks. Did you have insurance on it.Out of all the comments no one asked.?. Just wondering...

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?

Man, hate to hear this.  Sorry for your loss.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,770Gear list
Like?
In reply to CraigBennett, Apr 7, 2013

Man sorry to hear this.  I have been looking for some system to carry my camera other than a neck strap.  Some of the more interesting one involve putting a fitting into the tripod mount and the hook that fitting into a vest, belt, etc.  That looks to me to be an accident waiting to happen as the screw can easily work loose.

I'm still looking.  It's better to have a tired neck than a busted camera and lens.

Hope they can get it fixed.  The lens sounds like toast - maybe they can salvage the camera.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Event_shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?
In reply to WIMorrison, Apr 7, 2013

I can't tell you how many times I'm used to "releasing" my camera with both hands and letting the strap catch it as common practice. The problem comes in when the strap is NOT around my neck. Time for quick hands and grabbing the strap inched before it hits the ground

aperturegeorge
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, Apr 7, 2013

Wow that hurts.I dropped my D800 from about a foot high, bent the hotshoe
when it hit the tiled floor.Sent it in, Nikon deemed it impact damage which voids all warranty.

So 700.00 later camera was repaired, and now is back onto the factory warranty.Good luck with your camera, I hope it isn't a total write off, or you can claim it with your house insurance,and have it replaced with a new one.My D800 has to go back in with exposure and auto focus issues.Sometimes it is better not to repair, because it can plauge you with problems with it in the future.

aperturegeorge
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Giordano, Apr 7, 2013

With My D800 I used a thin leather camera strap and when I reached into the backpack I didn't see it blended in with the other black backpack straps and stepped on it, the camera hit the floor when I lifted it.I will not use any strap any more because I shoot with a tripod and this was a costly mistake on my part.Does anyone use their camera on a tripod with a strap or is there a better designed one for using it on a tripod.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to aperturegeorge, Apr 7, 2013

I've used Optech and Tamrac straps that have quick-release snaps on strap, near the camera.   You can easily pop the bulk of the strap off, leaving a couple of 'danglers' on the camera.  I generally remove the strap this way when shooting from a tripod.

I've standardized now on the Tamrac straps, because they have a padded suede shoulder pad.  It doesn't slip, and I carry the camera over one shoulder usually.   The optechs not only slid off, they stretch so much the camera bounces terribly if you jog.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the sympathy, it was an easy error to make whilst mounting it on a tripod, therefore no strap hanging around my neck - though I have to say that I find straps a pain in the but as I have caught them more than once and almost pulled a camera onto the floor because of them.

I guess that the lesson is simple, pay attention to what your doing and don't hold detailed conversations at the same time as you are handling £4000 worth of gear!

Tomorrow the argument will start with the insurance company as they are bound to try and find some way of not paying.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
orchidblooms
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?

WIMorrison wrote:

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

sorry to hear this

i had a similar experience...

d800e grip zeiss 15

i was setting camere with l-plate into acratech gp-s 'screw plate'

tightened the plate knob - let go - boom - faster than i could react - camera fell from chest height... to concrete sidewalk... = dropped like a 8,000.00 rock...

instantly $8000 crashed to concrete - bounced off corner of grip flipped up and over - onto lens hood - then started to spin like an out of control pirouette...  i grabbed reached down, as fast as i could - while stiull spinning... and picked it up - heart pounding

no idea what happened - i had set the l-plate into the head plate... and there was tension on the screw... - ( iwas in a hurry to get a shot)....

needless to say the head is back at acratech - getting inspected and the screw plate released with a lever lock plate - (new product for acratech)

after this mishap...  i am saving for an arca c cube....

i now use a lanyard off a point-n-shoot style camera on one lug - and first loop this over tripod before mounting - this lanyard has a cinch down on it...

i am very fortunate - only bent lens hood and scuff on the MB-D12 and no other discernible damages -

these 'accidents' happen literally in a blink of an eye

i have all of my gear in a seperate line item value based addon to my insurance policy - even includes my serengetti and maui jim sunglasses... for 'working in the field'...

hope your repair goes well for you

P.

-- hide signature --

Phillip "Iggy" Murphy http://phillipmurphy.com
ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

mtmike
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to orchidblooms, Apr 7, 2013

Your post gives me the shivers--my sincere condolences.  I recently purchased a BosStrap for my D800e before our Disney trip.  The selling point for me for this shoulder strap over e.g., Black Rapid and others is that it attaches to the metal post on the camera where the neck strap used to attach rather than the tripod socket.  The pitch I was given is that the metal post is "engineered" to hold the dangling weight of the camera whereas the tripod socket isn't.

BTW--I once killed my Minolta film camera when I used the timer to take a picture of myself.  I balanced the camera on a fence post, ran back through the gate into focal position and gasped as the gate swung shut behind me--and you know the rest!

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,532Gear list
Like?

Ouch.  I once killed a Canon S100 when I tipped the tripod it was on over....right onto the hard tile floor.

I've actually had camera straps cause issues.  Once I grabbed a camera out of the bag and the strap caught on part of the bag and the camera popped out of my hand and hit the ground.  Another time the strap caught caught a door knob when it wasn't over my shoulder and popped out of my hand again and onto the hardwood floor.  Both of those times there was no damage...visible or otherwise, thankfully.

I now use straps that can be quickly unclipped from the camera when I'm not using them and have switched to straps that have slides built into them so I can use the camera with the strap on my shoulder without it sticking and grabbing at my clothing.

One of my favorites is the Gordy's.  Simple, light, yet really strong leather.  Not the best for lugging a heavy camera for long periods though.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
orchidblooms
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?
In reply to mtmike, Apr 7, 2013

mtmike wrote:

Your post gives me the shivers--my sincere condolences.  I recently purchased a BosStrap for my D800e before our Disney trip.  The selling point for me for this shoulder strap over e.g., Black Rapid and others is that it attaches to the metal post on the camera where the neck strap used to attach rather than the tripod socket.  The pitch I was given is that the metal post is "engineered" to hold the dangling weight of the camera whereas the tripod socket isn't.

BTW--I once killed my Minolta film camera when I used the timer to take a picture of myself.  I balanced the camera on a fence post, ran back through the gate into focal position and gasped as the gate swung shut behind me--and you know the rest!

mtmike i was ooh so fortunate...  the zeiss products, built like a sherman tank...

i think if i had been sing a 'cheepie' grip - could have been a different story...

i inspected everything - pinched the zeiss' hood back...

and then - attached again, with success to the acratech... and took this series for my first planned HDR with NIK app.. (you see the sidewalk...? yes that is where camera fell)

btw acratech has new clamp plate with safety lock...

when i get my gp-s back i will re-evealuate the usefulness of the 'rig' - if i deem it to be less than safe.. do-or-die - i will sell whatever i have to and get an arca c1 cube

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=83

-- hide signature --

Phillip "Iggy" Murphy http://phillipmurphy.com
ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads