Can a 600EX-RT work as master with a Yongnuo YN560-II as slave?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions
rkhpedersen
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?
Can a 600EX-RT work as master with a Yongnuo YN560-II as slave?
Apr 6, 2013

I got my 600EX and it works very well I have to say. If I want to add a slave will it work with the YN560?

ANSWER:
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,500Gear list
Like?
Re: Can a 600EX-RT work as master with a Yongnuo YN560-II as slave?
In reply to rkhpedersen, Apr 7, 2013

rkhpedersen wrote:

I got my 600EX and it works very well I have to say. If I want to add a slave will it work with the YN560?

Yes, if you use the 600EX (RT) as an optical master.

With the 600EX in manual power mode use S1 mode for the YN-560-II.

You can even do E-TTL with the 600EX (not that I can think of any possible reason for doing that) while the YN-560-II fires in S2 mode.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rkhpedersen
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?
Thanks
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
..but only half the story!
In reply to rkhpedersen, Apr 8, 2013

Hi, What Sailor Blue says is correct!

But he's presuming that you have no interest in using many of the features of your expensive 600Ex-RT. Like its ability, in combination with the camera body, to remotely adjust a slave unit's Manual power output and do that with or without HSS. There are others . . .

If you havn't already bought a Yn 560 II, I would pause and do far more research before buying. Yn make units that could be closer to your needs, not to mention other manufacturers.

Cheers, Donald

Yan Duval
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 8, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

You can even do E-TTL with the 600EX (not that I can think of any possible reason for doing that) while the YN-560-II fires in S2 mode.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Is the S2 mode really reliable with Canon E-TTL?  I'd be happy to use YN units to light a background when I use my 420 EX E-TTL only flash.  I could also use my T4i as a master in optical mode without problem.

-- hide signature --

Yan

Yan Duval's gear list:Yan Duval's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
In reply to Yan Duval, Apr 8, 2013

Hi, S2 mode, driving a remote slave, (Nissin calls it SD mode) will work with/from a single camera mounted (or ETTL cord mounted) ETTL Speedlite - some of the time. I would not rely on it.

Using your T4i's pop-up controller is a different thing. If you are then using Canon Wireless Light/IR type to both control (FEC) & trigger your off-cam 420Ex, then S2 will hardly ever work, as Canon Wireless uses a more complex coded pre-flash signal.

Yan Duval
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
Thx!
In reply to ScratchDisk, Apr 8, 2013
-- hide signature --

Yan

Yan Duval's gear list:Yan Duval's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,500Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Apr 9, 2013

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi, S2 mode, driving a remote slave, (Nissin calls it SD mode) will work with/from a single camera mounted (or ETTL cord mounted) ETTL Speedlite - some of the time. I would not rely on it.

Using your T4i's pop-up controller is a different thing. If you are then using Canon Wireless Light/IR type to both control (FEC) & trigger your off-cam 420Ex, then S2 will hardly ever work, as Canon Wireless uses a more complex coded pre-flash signal.

Not so.

The Yongnuo flash units are made to work properly if you use E-TTL, and it doesn't make any difference if the E-TTL flash is a built-in flash, a camera mounted one like a 430EX II, 580EX II, or a 600EX-RT, or if the E-TTL flash is off-camera and connected to the camera by an E-TTL cord.

Basically in the S2 mode the YN-560-II ignores the E-TTL pre-flashes then it fires when the main flash occurs a short time later.

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II Manual Flash (new upgraded ‘mark II’ version)

Having said all that, I totally agree with ScratchDisk that you would be ignoring all those not so wonderful E-TTL features of the Canon flash units if you used a 600EX-RT in combination with the YN-560-II, and you should be doing this.

The only time any brand of TTL is useful is when the flash to subject distance is constantly changing, and then the exposures will only be correct a small percentage of the time.

Every time the ratio of subject to background in the image changes the TTL exposure will change.  Every time the subject's clothing or background changes the TTL exposure changes.  You wind up having to tweak the exposure in camera and in post processing for almost all TTL images.

When you are doing off-camera flash work with a fixed subject to flash distance you don't want the exposure changing every time you change the ratio of subject to background or the subject's clothing or background changes. You want to be working in full manual mode - both camera manual exposure mode and manual flash power mode.  That way you will get consistent exposures and save yourself a lot of effort and time in post processing.

-- hide signature --

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads