F900EXR - I'm in love

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
Gingertwist
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: F900EXR dynamic range example
In reply to nicknd99, Apr 12, 2013

Hi,

I picked up the F900 last night. Not quite sue about it just yet.

Not sure if this is possible, but does anyone know if there is a way to have the focal point mode move when framing a picture so it is not just focused in the centre? I like to be able to manually move the focus on certain areas of the frame.

thank you

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gingertwist, Apr 12, 2013

Gingertwist wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if this is possible, but does anyone know if there is a way to have the focal point mode move when framing a picture so it is not just focused in the centre? I like to be able to manually move the focus on certain areas of the frame.

You can try tracking mode, and you can try multi mode. The former should allow the focus point to follow the subject and the latter will often correctly guess the subject ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Gingertwist
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Apr 12, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Gingertwist wrote:

Hi,

You can try tracking mode, and you can try multi mode. The former should allow the focus point to follow the subject and the latter will often correctly guess the subject ...

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the quick response Kim.

I was actually wondering if it could be manually moved. For example if I wanted to focus on one spot on the upper left side of the frame or middle right etc. I would like to be able to manually move the focus to those spots. I am coming from my DLSR and am always moving the focal point around.

Richard Southworth
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

Nope, not on this P&S.  About the best you can do is center on the desired focus object, half-press and re-compose.

Richard Southworth

Richard Southworth's gear list:Richard Southworth's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1
Gingertwist
Like?
In reply to Richard Southworth, Apr 12, 2013

Richard Southworth wrote:

Nope, not on this P&S.  About the best you can do is center on the desired focus object, half-press and re-compose.

Richard Southworth

Thank you Richard.

I hate to say it, but so far I am not really liking this camera. I think I have to fiddle around with it some more and go outside to shoot some pics. I've only used it indoors and it's not quite what I thought it would be. To be fair though I am so used to pictures from my DSLR. I'll play with it thru tomorrow then if still not happy will return it.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,275
Like?
travel zoom

Gingertwist wrote:

ok, I know it has only been a few days, but are you still in love with this camera? I have been researching the travel zoom category and am so confused now, that I just want to know does it take fabulous pictures?

I don't think the pictures are any better than a Fuji F200EXR or Canon S90, in comparable zoom range, at base ISO. Those old CCD cameras were great.

However the F900EXR is a lot more fun to shoot. The zoom lens has mondo telephoto range, shooting speed is good, and controls are very effective. Also, high ISO is usable though not as good as from larger sensors.

If you don't want to learn your camera's quirks, you would be better off with a different brand.

CAcreeks
Like?

Gingertwist wrote:

Why don't you look for a camera that can set focus point on a touch screen?

I know the recent Panasonic M43 models, such as GF5 and GF6, can do this. I don't follow P&S models besides Fuji.

Richard Southworth
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

Ginger,

I understand your concerns, I'm not completely happy with the Fuji interface myself.

I like the way Canon does their interface, except the SX260 was so bad performance wise I would not recommend it.  I'd say wait and see what the SX280 does, but it's also "cursed" with a f6.8 lens at the long end.

My Pansonic ZS15 is a good camera for the price, interface is complete, can use flexi-zone for focus, etc.  My problem with their more expensive models is they've upped the mp count, although perhaps you can still downsize it as per the Fuji.  However, none of the Pany pocket long zooms include raw capability.

So there you have it, it's hard to find a pocket long zoom that feels right to a DSLR shooter, have to go with the S110 or LX7 or something similar to get good control.

Richard Southworth

Richard Southworth's gear list:Richard Southworth's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Re: F900EXR - I'm in love
In reply to Richard Southworth, Apr 12, 2013

Richard Southworth wrote:

Amazon prime is dangerous, free two day shipping and cheap ($4) one day ship.  Thursday I read that Adobe and Fujifilm had jumped into bed together, and being primarily a raw shooter type that was all the push required, pulled the trigger and Friday started taking pictures with my blue (it was a few dollars cheaper than the black) F900EXR.

I am the owner of a S100, G15 and ZS15, as well as some m43 gear, used to be heavy into Nikon DSLRs.  This little Fuji compact packs more into less than any other camera I've owned.  I have it set up whereby EXR and P mode are more or less equivalent, except I get 8mp 13mb raws from EXR and 16mp 26mb raws from P.

The noise is very well controlled, for both raw and jpg (light touch on NR for high ISO jpg), IS works well IMO at long focal lengths, color is good, and wonderfully ACR accepts both size raws and produces good results.

I'm not much into video, but full HD at 60fps seems ok, and even the pano mode is cute.  Grab one of these little gems, I checked out several pocket long zooms and this is easily the best I've found.

Richard Southworth

I just opened the wallet (again) and got the F900EXR as well ... it was KLs site that helped me decide so when I get mine I can't wait to shoot with it. I have the G15 and am considering the XF1 as a pocketable replacement for mostly indoor shooting.

-- hide signature --

Don't feed or mess with the crazy person ... just take a photo and walk away ... just walk away man!

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,550Gear list
Like?
Re: why not to use multi area
In reply to CAcreeks, Apr 12, 2013

I experimented with this mode with prior HS series models and found that multi area was of no use to me because:

1) using multi area makes focusing harder- there is much more hunting to find focus. PDAF may alleviate this in bright light conditions but in low light this will be a huge problem with multi area.

2) you cannot tie exposure to point of focus- even if you use spot metering it will ALWAYS meter off the center of the frame.

Best bet is to just focus and recompose with half shutter press- you can even do this with continuous focus turned on- the half shutter press will freeze focus to that point and then just recompose.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
CAcreeks
Like?
wrong info about Photometry
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 12, 2013

First part of your sentence is true.

Second part of your sentence is not true. Photometry can be set to Multi (auto scene recognization, what I use), Spot (very similar to center, as you say), or Average (compromise for entire frame).

Perhaps FTF has had discussions of these settings. I don't recall.

alexisgreat wrote:

2) you cannot tie exposure to point of focus- even if you use spot metering it will ALWAYS meter off the center of the frame.
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,550Gear list
Like?
Re: wrong info about Photometry
In reply to CAcreeks, Apr 12, 2013

Multi, you mean matrix? that's the only multi setting I have and it uses 256 areas across the frame, it isnt tied to the point of focus.  What I am talking about is ONLY having the exposure tied to the point of focus, and my camera cannot do that (and no HS or F series can, as far as I know.)  I dont use multi matrix- it results in overexposure.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gingertwist, Apr 13, 2013

Gingertwist wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Gingertwist wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the quick response Kim.

I was actually wondering if it could be manually moved. For example if I wanted to focus on one spot on the upper left side of the frame or middle right etc. I would like to be able to manually move the focus to those spots. I am coming from my DLSR and am always moving the focal point around.

Yes, i do that too ... But not with fuji compacts. My Panasonic m4/3 cams do that focus and shoot by touch trick, but not these compacts ... Pretty old school unfortuately

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads