Help please on converting AVCHD to MP4

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions
MintTheCandy
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Help please on converting AVCHD to MP4
Apr 6, 2013

Hi everyone.. sorry im a noob at this.. i cant seem to find a free converter from AVCHD to MP4.. does anyone know of any free software without putting watermarks on the movie? please help.. im on win7.. i plan to upload some of my movies to youtube.. and does anyone know what format does vimeo accept? really sorry for noob questions..

ANSWER:
KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
Re: Help please on converting AVCHD to MP4
In reply to MintTheCandy, Apr 6, 2013

MintTheCandy wrote:

Hi everyone.. sorry im a noob at this.. i cant seem to find a free converter from AVCHD to MP4.. does anyone know of any free software without putting watermarks on the movie? please help.. im on win7.. i plan to upload some of my movies to youtube.. and does anyone know what format does vimeo accept? really sorry for noob questions..

Hi,

This is what I use:

Handbrake

It's free and it works like a charm.  I use it to convert the movies to .mkv files, but there is an option for .mp4.  The best part is that it meets both of your criteria:  it leaves no watermark and it's absolutely FREE.  Enjoy.

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knallberto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to KennyXL, Apr 6, 2013
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Apr 6, 2013

Yup, I use freemake converter also. It can handle almost any file, even subtitles. You can also make a movie slide show of your pictures with music.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Shiroa
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

my favourite

any-video-converter.com

dont know if it does convert avchd to mp4 though

MintTheCandy
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?

Thanks for the quick response guys!

wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
Knallberto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to wwwOKCOMEONcom, Apr 6, 2013

haha, other programs are FREEEEEEEEEE! and gooooood! and 100x more simple, and just 0.00 !

But you are free to become an Adobe supporter, hehehe, and wasting your time.

Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Apr 9, 2013

I use IVI from the mac app store, works perfectly.  I turned on the 2 pass option for the highest quaility and I am very happy with it.  It is not as good as avchd but better than the default MP4 built into the camera.

The app costs $9.99

J

Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to MintTheCandy, Apr 9, 2013

Vimeo will accept your files without converting.

AVCHD should be same as .mts

I have recorded my daughter in kindergarden, Here is my sample 1080@60p

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Sammy388
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to MintTheCandy, 7 months ago

It seems like you have a few options...you can rely on a free download like Handbrake or pay for an audio converter. It also depends on which type of computer you have. I personally use Handbrake (but I have a mac). I've never used Handbrake on a pc so I'm not sure how functional it is. I've converted things with it no problem but I've never converted AVCHD files. I say just download it and try:) Hope this helps (and hopefully it works for AVCHD!)

cheers!

joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Settings for Handbrake

Even though this is marked as "Answered", I still want to offer some suggestions.

I have a NEX-3N which shots AVCHD at 24p/60i. For less judder, I opt for 60i. However, the video is interlaced which does not play well in some video player. In addition, the files are too big for archive.

I opt for the highly recommended Handbrake. It indeed is very fast and easy to use. After some investigation, I come up with the following setting:

(Based on "High Profile")

Under Video Quality, Constant Quality, I choose RF 22 (default 20)

Under Audio, I removed AC3 Passthru (not sure what it is for, but I only need 1 audio stream), leaving AAC (CoreAudio) / 160 kbps.

Click on the Picture Settings on top, I click "filter" and choose "Weak" Denoise.

That's it! The final image is about half the size (depends on complexity) of original and de-interlaced.

The above setting is based on Mac. But I think PC version should be similar, perhaps a different audio codec. I tried the converted video on a PC with Windows Media Player and it plays well.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Kirino
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: Settings for Handbrake
In reply to joe6pack, 7 months ago

Handbrake re-encodes the file. Reducing the quality of it. Some thing like MKVToolnix will wrap the AVCHD into a MKV format. It will take 5 seconds and you won't lose quality.

MP4 doesn't have as great tools. You'll need to demux (separate) the video and the audio streams then use MP4box to put them together into a MP4 format. Then hopefully it will be in sync.

Kirino's gear list:Kirino's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kirino, 7 months ago

Kirino wrote:

Handbrake re-encodes the file. Reducing the quality of it. Some thing like MKVToolnix will wrap the AVCHD into a MKV format. It will take 5 seconds and you won't lose quality.

I don't get it. What is the benefit of doing the wrapping?

Remember, the handbrake conversion I described also de-interlaces the video. Making it better for consumption.

MP4 doesn't have as great tools. You'll need to demux (separate) the video and the audio streams then use MP4box to put them together into a MP4 format. Then hopefully it will be in sync.

I don't think I get this one either. Doesn't AVCHD need demuxing as well?

Lots of cell phones are shooting in MP4 as default format now, I could only expect more support for MP4. On the other hand, AVCHD is a format owned by Sony and Panasonic. And IMO, AVCHD directory structure is awful.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,773
Like?
In reply to Kirino, 7 months ago

Kirino wrote:

mkv is a completely pointless format, there is zero need for it.

last time i looked, youtube wouldn't accept it as an upload, which was the purpose of this thread.

demuxing is non-destructive, unlike re-encoding.

i've never had a sync problem with any demuxing/muxing tool that i've used over the years.

-- hide signature --

dan

osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,773
Like?
In reply to joe6pack, 7 months ago

joe6pack wrote:

Kirino wrote:

I don't get it. What is the benefit of doing the wrapping?

Remember, the handbrake conversion I described also de-interlaces the video. Making it better for consumption.

practically all software tools will de-interlace, even youtube will do it when you upload interlaced video... possibly not with comparable quality, tho, i'd guess.

so-called "wrapping" just means that the actual audio/video streams are not changed, which means that there is no loss in quality.

you only want to re-encode the video one time, and that's when it is exported off of the editing timeline.

unfortunately youtube/vimeo/ect will re-encode it, but there isn't anything you can do about that.

I don't think I get this one either. Doesn't AVCHD need demuxing as well?

the actual demuxing procedure is not relevant to any format.

for example, when you export video from the editing timeline, and you are re-encoding it for upload, there will always be a demuxing/muxing step in there... so demuxing is very common.

Lots of cell phones are shooting in MP4 as default format now, I could only expect more support for MP4. On the other hand, AVCHD is a format owned by Sony and Panasonic. And IMO, AVCHD directory structure is awful.

sounds like you are on a mac?

regardless, once you learn where the actual video/audio stream is located, there is zero need for the avchd directory structure... you can access the data directly, just like any other format... it's no different than digging down through the DCIM\100MSDCF folders to get at your pictures.

primitive and cheap software may require you to go through the directory structure, but that's not very common, and it's certainly not how professional editing apps handle it.

-- hide signature --

dan

Riquez
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, 7 months ago

Knallberto wrote:

haha, other programs are FREEEEEEEEEE! and gooooood! and 100x more simple, and just 0.00 !

What a silly comment. Premiere is a superb tool which make video editing & converting formats easy and enjoyable. It is the choice of professionals. You are of course welcome to using free converters. I suppose you rather use MS paint than photoshop?

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
MiL0
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
In reply to Riquez, 7 months ago

Riquez wrote:

Knallberto wrote:

haha, other programs are FREEEEEEEEEE! and gooooood! and 100x more simple, and just 0.00 !

What a silly comment. Premiere is a superb tool which make video editing & converting formats easy and enjoyable. It is the choice of professionals. You are of course welcome to using free converters. I suppose you rather use MS paint than photoshop?

Can you recommend a file format that I can convert my AVCHD files into for easy editing in Adobe Premiere? When I edit AVCHD files natively, it grinds me i7-4930k cpu to a halt! I read somewhere that this because the AVCHD files cause Premiere to use 32bit Quicktime which is a massive bottleneck.

If I use HandBrake, what's the recommended codec to convert to? (for maximum quality and colour grading possibilities)

Thanks in advance

Ramius
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?

You know you can set the camera to record in Mp4 instead of AVCHD right? Check out the movie settings.

QuangFoto
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to MiL0, 7 months ago

If all you do is converting, use one of the free apps others suggest.  Otherwise, my suggestion would be use Vegas Pro to edit the .MTS files directly without converting to MP4 first. After editing is complete, you can render the final output to any format you want.  A legitimate copy of Vegas Pro runs about $200 on ebay.  It really boils down to what how serious you want when it comes to video.  Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro are other powerful apps you might want to look into, if interested.

QuangFoto's gear list:QuangFoto's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D60 Nikon D80 NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads