LR 4.3 to 4.4 upgrade installation problems/question

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,049
Like?
LR 4.3 to 4.4 upgrade installation problems/question
Apr 6, 2013

I am a MacBook Pro Ratina and LR 4.3 user, will be getting the Fuji X100S for my girl friend in a few weeks for birthday present, and saw the new LR4.4 adds support for that camera, as well as for my Sigma 35 F1.4, so I downloaded it and installed it, however, when I called up the LR, it is still the 4.3, and I went into "application" folder and I saw no update was made with today's day, anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong? it seems to go it went thru the installation process just fine, downloaded the 448 MB update from Adobe, double clicked on the downloaded installation file,  then a separate window popped up with the one "Adobe Photoshop LightRoom4.pkg" and a readme pdf file, clicked on the .pkg file and it brings up the installation screen, followed the instruction on the screen, entered password, at the end of the installation I got  something like "LightRoom is successfully installed" with a big green check mark, so everything seems to going fine, but even after I rebooted the system version 4.4 is still nowhere to be found, still running 4.3, can anyone help? Thanks.

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: LR 4.3 to 4.4 upgrade installation problems/question
In reply to Dan_168, Apr 6, 2013

Probably can't be much help, just pointing out the obvious.

1) Perhaps you had the old 4.3 installer in your downloads folder too, and clicked on that by accident.

The 4.4 update is called: Lightroom_4_LS11_mac_4_4.dmg

2) You can sometimes end up with two Applications folders, depending on how you install things. The main one is the /Applicactions folder at the drives root. The other is /Applications in you user directory. Check if one install has gone into your users Applications folder.

-Najinsky

Dan_168 wrote:

I am a MacBook Pro Ratina and LR 4.3 user, will be getting the Fuji X100S for my girl friend in a few weeks for birthday present, and saw the new LR4.4 adds support for that camera, as well as for my Sigma 35 F1.4, so I downloaded it and installed it, however, when I called up the LR, it is still the 4.3, and I went into "application" folder and I saw no update was made with today's day, anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong? it seems to go it went thru the installation process just fine, downloaded the 448 MB update from Adobe, double clicked on the downloaded installation file,  then a separate window popped up with the one "Adobe Photoshop LightRoom4.pkg" and a readme pdf file, clicked on the .pkg file and it brings up the installation screen, followed the instruction on the screen, entered password, at the end of the installation I got  something like "LightRoom is successfully installed" with a big green check mark, so everything seems to going fine, but even after I rebooted the system version 4.4 is still nowhere to be found, still running 4.3, can anyone help? Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dandaman
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?

The Adobe Updater ran and told me it had updated from 4.3 to 4.4, and I also found I still had 4.3 .  A couple days later I went to MacUpdate.com and through them to Adobe.com where I downloaded and ran the update manually.  That worked.  I have no idea why the updater ran apparently normally but installed nothing the first time.  It did *not* install anything to either Application folder.  ???

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,091
Like?
In reply to dandaman, Apr 6, 2013

I've never seen a User level 'Applications' folder, only the original 'at the top' one.  Usually the installer will ask you what disk to install it on so dblcheck that.

There is no 'updater' for LR.  Only the entire shebang .dmg.  The Adobe Updater only handles CreativeSuite so maybe you saw Camera Raw going from 7.3 to 7.4.

Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470
Like?

On my mac the update took me to the 4.3 not the 4.4 install. Try http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/4.x/Lightroom_4_LS11_mac_4_4.dmg

-- hide signature --

Doug

Dan_168
Like?
In reply to Doug R, Apr 7, 2013

Doug R wrote:

On my mac the update took me to the 4.3 not the 4.4 install. Try http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/4.x/Lightroom_4_LS11_mac_4_4.dmg

-- hide signature --

Doug

I tried both link from the above and the DP Review link and downloaded the dmg file again and still have no luck, anyone else have any idea? what makes me confused is the whole installation  went thru fine, and at the end I even have a screen saying Application installed successful.

Howard Moftich
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, Apr 7, 2013

rename the LR that exists in /Applications to something else and try a reinstall.  That way hyou can easily tell if *something* new got installed.

Dan_168
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 7, 2013

Howard Moftich wrote:

rename the LR that exists in /Applications to something else and try a reinstall.  That way hyou can easily tell if *something* new got installed.

Good idea. I tried a few different things this morning.

1. I deleted the whole "adobe Photoshop LightRoom 4.app" from application folder, then run that downloaded 4.4 dmg file, the application got installed, and when I tried to call it up, it ask for serial number, hummm, I purchased the application from Mac App Store so I don't have a CD or box so I don't have serial number written down anywhere.

2. I tried to rename the current version 4.3 folder to something else, then run the version 4.4 dmg file again, the installation went thru fine again and at the end system says application install successful but when I looked at the application folder, I didn't see any update show up there based on date and time stamp. so what is going on?? I have never had this kind of issue before, so I am totally lost there.

Anyone else have any idea?

Dan_168
Like?
How do I find my serial number?
In reply to Dan_168, Apr 8, 2013

Can anyone give me a hint where do I find the serial number for my LR4.3? I purchased that via Apple App Store so I don't have any CD or box or anything. thanks.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,217
Like?
Here is the solution for you

Dan_168 wrote:

1. I deleted the whole "adobe Photoshop LightRoom 4.app" from application folder, then run that downloaded 4.4 dmg file, the application got installed, and when I tried to call it up, it ask for serial number, hummm, I purchased the application from Mac App Store so I don't have a CD or box so I don't have serial number written down anywhere.

I think I know what your problem is. Your are trying to update a version of LR that was purchased through the Mac App Store with an updater that was made for the version downloadable from Adobe's website.

In short, open the Mac App Store app and select the Updates 'tab'.

Although functionally the same, their license verification check is obviously different. For the version that you have this done through Apple (ie, OS X make sure you have actually bought it before allowing you to run it). Essentially you have to be logged into the account in the Mac App Store with which you purchased the app when you launch the app for the first time (if are not logged in, you will be prompted to do so when you try to launch the app).

For the version sold via Adobe's website, DRM is enforced via a serial number (not sure whether it also involves a phoning home to Adobe).

Mac App Store apps are updated through the App Store app only. This is to ensure that apps including updates go through Apple's app review process. The point of the Mac App Store is to create a trusted source of applications, with a very simple payment process (you click on buy and that's it), and an easy way to update all applications by checking in only one place (the App Store app) that is a one click process as well (there are a few advantages).

So, obviously, the downloaded updater cannot update your Mac App Store copy of LR. It is essentially a bug that the installer runs at all and claims to have succeeded.

2. I tried to rename the current version 4.3 folder to something else, then run the version 4.4 dmg file again, the installation went thru fine again and at the end system says application install successful but when I looked at the application folder, I didn't see any update show up there based on date and time stamp. so what is going on?? I have never had this kind of issue before, so I am totally lost there.

Again, from the above it should be clear why this doesn't work, ie, why you don't have a serial number ... because the DRM for your version of LR is handled through Apple. That is another point of the Mac App Store, you don't have remember or file multiple serial numbers, one account password (the Apple ID) is all you have to remember.

Dan_168
Like?
Re: Here is the solution for you
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 8, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

I think I know what your problem is. Your are trying to update a version of LR that was purchased through the Mac App Store with an updater that was made for the version downloadable from Adobe's website.

Although functionally the same, their license verification check is obviously different. For the version that you have this done through Apple (ie, OS X make sure you have actually bought it before allowing you to run it). Essentially you have to be logged into the account in the Mac App Store with which you purchased the app when you launch the app for the first time (if are not logged in, you will be prompted to do so when you try to launch the app).

For the version sold via Adobe's website, DRM is enforced via a serial number (not sure whether it also involves a phoning home to Adobe).

Mac App Store apps are updated through the App Store app only. This is to ensure that apps including updates go through Apple's app review process. The point of the Mac App Store is to create a trusted source of applications, with a very simple payment process (you click on buy and that's it), and an easy way to update all applications by checking in only one place (the App Store app) that is a one click process as well (there are a few advantages).

So, obviously, the downloaded updater cannot update your Mac App Store copy of LR. It is essentially a bug that the installer runs at all and claims to have succeeded.

Again, from the above it should be clear why this doesn't work, ie, why you don't have a serial number ... because the DRM for your version of LR is handled through Apple. That is another point of the Mac App Store, you don't have remember or file multiple serial numbers, one account password (the Apple ID) is all you have to remember.

Thanks a lot for the detail feedback, I think you nailed the problem, however, the solution offered didn't work, I signed into the Mac App Store, went into the "Updated" tab, other than a few totally none related Apple software update, no LightRoom or any Adobe update shown there.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?

Dan_168 wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the detail feedback, I think you nailed the problem, however, the solution offered didn't work, I signed into the Mac App Store, went into the "Updated" tab, other than a few totally none related Apple software update, no LightRoom or any Adobe update shown there.

It is likely the App has been submitted to Apple and is still awaiting approval. It can take 4-7 days in normal circumstances. Sometimes longer if there are problems.

-Najinsky

Dan_168
Like?
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 8, 2013

Najinsky

It is likely the App has been submitted to Apple and is still awaiting approval. It can take 4-7 days in normal circumstances. Sometimes longer if there are problems.

-Najinsky

Ok cool, i will just wait for a few more days to see if that update shows up, thanks again.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,480Gear list
Like?
Re: How do I find my serial number?

Dan_168 wrote:

Can anyone give me a hint where do I find the serial number for my LR4.3? I purchased that via Apple App Store so I don't have any CD or box or anything. thanks.

Do you not keep old emails with info that is important? Throwing away your code is like throwing away your car key!

Howard Moftich
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 8, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Do you not keep old emails with info that is important? Throwing away your code is like throwing away your car key!

I don't think the AppStore gives you any SN's.  The DRM method is 'different' and doesn't rely on the standard User/SN hash kind of thing.

Dan_168
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 8, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Thanks for the help !! have you ever purchased application via App store before? no,  I don't normally throw away my car keys, as well as the important E-mails such as purchase receipts, I do have the Apple App store E-mail right in front of me and it only has a order number and receipt number, I will contact Adobe with the order number to see if that can help though.

Dan_168
Like?
Finally got it to work -- Apple put up the 4.4 updater in App Store today
In reply to Dan_168, Apr 13, 2013

Just to report back today Apple finally put up the LR 4.4 update in the App Store and I downloaded and it works, now I have the latest LR 4.4 installed. Thanks everyone here trying to help especially Najinsky, Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads