105mm f/2 DC. Love it!

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
MichaelK81
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
105mm f/2 DC. Love it!
Apr 6, 2013

Been shooting with the 85mm f/1.4G for the past two years with stellar results, but the contrast in the bokeh was always a bit too high for my taste.  I've sampled the 135mm f/2 DC, but it's a bit of a long reach, if you catch my drift.  The 105mm is perfect though!  Who would've thought a lens over a decade old would deliver such creamy bokeh on the D4 against the latest and greatest of lenses!  Definitely not a lens for the ill trained, but in the right hands, it can do magic.  And its flare control, unreal!  Not posting any before-and-afters, just spreading praise.  And the built-in hood with velvet inner lining, who does that these days?! Bravo Nikon.

MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY
http://www.michaelkormos.com

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Mifsud
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Re: 105mm f/2 DC. Love it!
In reply to MichaelK81, Apr 6, 2013

Just got my 135mm DC yesterday and looking forward to give it a try later today....

I already have the 105mm VR micro so preferred to go for the 135mm fov. I also think that since I will be using it mainly outside the more compression the better....

Enjoy your lens!!

Robert Mifsud's gear list:Robert Mifsud's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 3700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
whoosh1
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?

MichaelK81 wrote:

Definitely not a lens for the ill trained, but in the right hands, it can do magic.  MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY

You have beautiful pictures in your gallery - definitely you got the right hands to do the magic! Have fun with your 105 DC - I got many great modern lenses (the f/2.8 trinity, the f/1.4g primes trinity, etc.) which deliver with great results - but the portraits taken with my 135f/2DC have the same special magic that you refer to.

thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?

I have to agree - I often wish I'd bought the 105/f2DC instead of the 135/f2DC but thought it was too close to the 105/2.8G micro. I find the 135 a little too long sometimes.

Great images on your website - I hope business is going well for you.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Nikon Df +10 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

MichaelK81 wrote:

Been shooting with the 85mm f/1.4G for the past two years with stellar results, but the contrast in the bokeh was always a bit too high for my taste.  I've sampled the 135mm f/2 DC, but it's a bit of a long reach, if you catch my drift.  The 105mm is perfect though!  Who would've thought a lens over a decade old would deliver such creamy bokeh on the D4 against the latest and greatest of lenses!  Definitely not a lens for the ill trained, but in the right hands, it can do magic.  And its flare control, unreal!  Not posting any before-and-afters, just spreading praise.  And the built-in hood with velvet inner lining, who does that these days?! Bravo Nikon.

Some lovely shots there, thanks for sharing.  Not sure why people are surprised at the quality of older lenses.  This is why they are holding their value obviously, I am not in a position to get one of those, but have a few other older lenses that work very well indeed. And on Flickr I see so many using some, even Russian lenses, with great effect and absolutely beautiful images.

New does not mean better and the older lenses work just as well with digital, contrary to some claims.

The DC's. 105 1.8 and 105 2.5 are all lovely lenses, also all of the 85mm's. The 105  2.5 seems only to be lower priced because Nikon made so many.

Even the old 85mm 1.8 MF is not cheap considering one can get a new Samyang 85mm 1.4 MF for roughly the same money as a used Nikkor 85mm 1.8 MF (which is why I aim for the Samyang, a lovely lens both from a rendition viewpoint, shown side by side vs Nikkor 85mm 1.4 G in a few image comparisons I have seen and also rated highly on DXO Mark.. for $329 or so its a steal.)

One other thing in my humble opinion. Those old lenses were made when more effort and care was spent on materials and manufacture, if anything they may be better material wise i.e. glass, which is what counts, along with manufacturing tolerances.

I am only a newish amateur, but can appreciate the quality I see in images from people using these lenses.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
NikonHaoleboy
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

MichaelK81, You have great sensitivity and expertise, lovely work. I agree about the training that may be required to get the best out of the DC lenses. I was highly impressed by the build quality of the 135 but it was too much lens for my skill level and I sold it to one of your fellow N.Y. photographers. If you ever run across Sebastian Kim, tell him that Roger says "aloha".

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +10 more
1vwGTIdriver
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to NikonHaoleboy, Apr 7, 2013

i had a very sharp copy of the 105 f2 dc once and sold it . ever since i tried another 105 f2 dc and a 135 f2 dc and it has focusing issues - could not get it to focus sharply even with adjustments in fine tune .

1vwGTIdriver's gear list:1vwGTIdriver's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
nathantw
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
In reply to MichaelK81, Apr 8, 2013

MichaelK81 wrote:

Love your photos. I'm sure you have numerous satisfied clients. I really like the boy and the dog. That really makes great use of that 85mm lens of yours.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

nathantw
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, Apr 8, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

One other thing in my humble opinion. Those old lenses were made when more effort and care was spent on materials and manufacture, if anything they may be better material wise i.e. glass, which is what counts, along with manufacturing tolerances.

That was my feeling as well about the older lenses. It felt like more "love" was put into creating and manufacturing the lenses. The lenses were made with aluminum and the aperture actuator had ball bearings in it. I'm sure the plastic that's used today is more durable than aluminum (they're definitely lighter) and whatever they use for the mechanical linkages are just as good. However, the older lenses just felt more substantial.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

paris1968
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
In reply to nathantw, Apr 8, 2013

Yes, the old lenses were special.  I already have too many good lenses in the 85-100 mm range, including two from  Ziess, so I cannot justify buying the Nikkor 105 f2, but I also have something interesting from the '70s, that will give any of my lenses  stiff competition in both sharpneness and bokah. Oddly, it is a Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5  Macro made by Tokina and that I bought for an F2 over three decades ago.  You can pick them up on ebay for ~300.00, and they are a wonder.  Check out the article below:

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2009/10/vivitar-series-1-90mm-f25-vmc-12-bokina.html#!/2009/10/vivitar-series-1-90mm-f25-vmc-12-bokina.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads