GPS logger and geotagging question

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
darkwings
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
GPS logger and geotagging question
Apr 6, 2013

I will be traveling out of the country for 2 weeks and would love to be able to geotag my photos. I've read through quite a few threads regarding geotagging however none of them address my particular problem.

• I will be gone for 2 weeks.
  • I will not have a cell phone (my phone does not work out of the country)
  • I will not have a PC
  • I will have an Android tablet. It is WiFi only and I will not be carrying it with me every day. It'll probably be stashed in the hotel most of the time.

Therefore I cannot upload the data from the GPS tracking device every day.  Of all the standalone GPS units I've seen, they all seem to expect the data to be uploaded daily.

So I need a GPS logger that can hold 2 weeks worth of data. Or I need one that will allow me to upload the data file from the logger to my Android tablet periodically and later be able to use the uploaded files to tag the photos (which can be done on my Windows 7 PC after I return home).

And I need a way to recharge the GPS logger via an A/C outlet, preferably with my micro-USB cellphone charger. I'd prefer not to drag around a suitcase full of AAA batteries.

Alternatively, it would be nice if there is a way to tag the photos which are on the SD card with the GPS data without using a PC.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Olympus PEN E-PM1

Avion_007
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: GPS logger and geotagging question
In reply to darkwings, Apr 6, 2013

Hello

I had similar dilema few years ago (plus the fact that I have 2 camera body)

I purchase a GPS (data logger) from Qstarz http://www.qstarz.com/

I bought the Qstarz BT-Q1000XT

Battery is great for one day+ and memory for few weeks (depending on the info you selected for recording)

Have a look

Philippe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eyeu
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
In reply to Avion_007, Apr 6, 2013

I looked at the web site..Qstarz..and could not find either prices and where to purchase...could you help? thanks

rick

-- hide signature --

www.eyeu.smugmug.com

eyeu's gear list:eyeu's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +14 more
darkwings
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to eyeu, Apr 6, 2013

I have seen Qstarz for sale on semsons.com and amazon.com.

It is good to know that it can store 2 weeks of data, thank you!

The other device I was considering was the I-GotU GT-600 however I cannot find out whether that device can hold 2 weeks of data.  It is cheaper than the Qstarz unit.

-- hide signature --

Olympus PEN E-PM1

eyeu
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
Qstarz BT-Q1000XT
In reply to darkwings, Apr 6, 2013

In the reviews, said very difficult to use with Macs.  Have they changed the software? Do you use a Mac? thanks

rick

-- hide signature --

www.eyeu.smugmug.com

eyeu's gear list:eyeu's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +14 more
afoton
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkwings, Apr 8, 2013

I have a Holux M1000C, that one can be set up to log as often as you want. It has memory for 200000 points. With 10 point pr minute, it will last for 14 days. If that is often enough for you movements, it can work for that long time. The battery works for about 20 hours. Charging is done with a mini-USB. It will also do logging, using current from USB.

The bigger device is a regular Garmin that logs to a memory card. Then it can log for almost infinity long.

BradJudy
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

I bought an iGot-U GT-120 before a trip to Europe a couple of years ago.  It might not be quite as advanced as some other options, but it's tiny and can be recharged via USB.  The software allows you to configure logging intervals on a variety of factors (if you're moving, the speed you are moving, the time of day, etc) or just a constant timing.  I had plenty of room to spare for data with the options I selected.  It lacks a real battery level indicator, so I charged it each night to be sure.  The power consumption depends on the logging settings.  For example, I configured it to turn off data logging at night and start up in the morning.

I've used the output GPX files in both GeoSetter and Lightroom 4.

If I was going to use it regularly, I might have gone for a fancier one, but it does the job for only $60.  I like having a separate one instead of an in-camera one so that I can use the data with any photos easily.  I was able to geo-tag the photos taken by my fellow travelers as well.

epijay
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?

If shooting Nikon, why not look into embedding the lat longs directly into EXIF with one of the Bluetooth solutions- foolography, Aoka, etc?

Jay

afoton
Like?
In reply to epijay, Apr 9, 2013

If then, I can recomend the AK-G gps from Aokatec. It is not Bluetooth, it is just a gps in the plug. Little bigger than the Bluetooth plugs, but one device less.

foolography
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to afoton, Apr 23, 2013

afoton wrote:

If then, I can recomend the AK-G gps from Aokatec. It is not Bluetooth, it is just a gps in the plug. Little bigger than the Bluetooth plugs, but one device less.

Don't underestimate that the Aokatec has some serious effect on the battery of your camera. There is a reason for splitting those two hardware components.

Regards,

Sascha

donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695
Like?
In reply to darkwings, Apr 23, 2013

The length of time that you can use the device is dependent upon the sampling rate.  Since you are probably walking and not taking 10's of pictures per minute, you could seriously slow up the sampling rate and not loose any location resolution.  You just need to make sure that whatever software you use interpolates the location points.

-- hide signature --

Don

afoton
Like?
In reply to foolography, Apr 24, 2013

foolography wrote:

afoton wrote:

Don't underestimate that the Aokatec has some serious effect on the battery of your camera. There is a reason for splitting those two hardware components.

My main consern when it comes to battery usage, is to have enough extra batteries. All GPSs use power. If the GPS can use power from the camera battery, as the Aokatec plug does, I just need one type extra batteries (and one charger if I have the oportuniti to do charging). With the GPS as an extra device, I need two types of extra batteries, and chargers. For longer travels, I prefere as easy logostics as possible. That is the reason that I prefere not to split those two hardware components.

foolography
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to afoton, Apr 24, 2013

afoton wrote:

foolography wrote:

afoton wrote:

My main consern when it comes to battery usage, is to have enough extra batteries. All GPSs use power. If the GPS can use power from the camera battery, as the Aokatec plug does, I just need one type extra batteries (and one charger if I have the oportuniti to do charging). With the GPS as an extra device, I need two types of extra batteries, and chargers. For longer travels, I prefere as easy logostics as possible. That is the reason that I prefere not to split those two hardware components.

You simply don't need as much reserve batteries with a split solution. Furthermore it is possible to still shoot photos after the GPS receiver drained the build-in battery, compared to the Aoka where you can't use the camera after the GPS drained all of your battery power.

It mostly depends on the usage scenario. The split solutions is way more energy efficient and in that regard to be prefered in most cases.

afoton
Like?
In reply to foolography, Apr 25, 2013

foolography wrote:

You simply don't need as much reserve batteries with a split solution. Furthermore it is possible to still shoot photos after the GPS receiver drained the build-in battery, compared to the Aoka where you can't use the camera after the GPS drained all of your battery power.

It mostly depends on the usage scenario. The split solutions is way more energy efficient and in that regard to be prefered in most cases.

Then I understand that you have a way more energy efficient BT-GPS than mine Holux, or you have far less demand in comfort, logistics or speed than me. Because my Holux alone use more power than the Aoketec-GPS. When I was using a the Holux and a BT-plug, I allways had to shut down the GPS after each use, or it would go down after the first day if I didn't have a bag of extra batteries. For a short period I was using a BT-GPS with some fancy power saving function that let it shut down by it self after some inactivity. That was a real pain, as the GPS was never ready, and I had to go down in the pocket to switch it on each time it was shutted down. A GPS that follow the power saving of the camera, is a lot easyer to use. And with a power switch, also near the camera, it is also easyer to power on and off manually. With the autoactivation of the Aokatec GPS every 5 minutes or so, it is also allways capable of a hot start. The one thing I miss, is a option to let it be on all time, because a hot start is not allways fast enough, and several minutes old coordinates can be pretty bad, when moving fast, like in a plane (That is the only usage of my BT-plug after I get my second Aokatec GPS).

And as long as I can keep track of battery reserves, it is easy to shut off the GPS when needed and use all reserves for the camera. That is not possible with the bag of batteries for the stand alone GPS.

Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
In reply to darkwings, Apr 25, 2013

darkwings wrote:

Therefore I cannot upload the data from the GPS tracking device every day.  Of all the standalone GPS units I've seen, they all seem to expect the data to be uploaded daily.

So I need a GPS logger that can hold 2 weeks worth of data. Or I need one that will allow me to upload the data file from the logger to my Android tablet periodically and later be able to use the uploaded files to tag the photos (which can be done on my Windows 7 PC after I return home).

I'm a little shocked by this.

I have a year and a half worth of track data in my GPS.  All of it is overlaid on the map, which means when I go off trail, I have an instantly recognizable "landmark" to gauge my progress against, it's a couple of miles until I'll join the Esmeralda Basin trail, I can see that easily without zooming in because I've hiked that trail before and there's a big blue line.

Mine is a Magellan Explorist, it's a midrange hiking GPS unit.  Apart from being able to geocode my photos and make my own custom maps, the navigation is very useful, and the barometer history is handy too.

DMills611
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkwings, Apr 29, 2013

Spend the $$$ that you would on a pricey/specific 'geo tagger', and use it towards a new, rugged touch screen GPS- and just mark the POI's as you take your series of shots ...or more wallet-friendly still, grab a map and spend the couple dollars to have it fold-laminated, and use a marker !

Happy trails !

DMills611's gear list:DMills611's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
OysteinNL
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to DMills611, May 17, 2013

Why not use your smartphone with GPS tracker app ?
Most are intended for tracking your biking or hiking trip.

I use (on Iphone) GPS kit Pro which can save unlimited tracks - for example start logging every morning and save in the evening - and later at home export the GPX files and load them into Lightroom. Lightroom will add the coordinates to the pictures based on timestamp of the pictures and match them with the corresponding GPS position in the GPX file(s).
The app is only a few Euro's ( the free version of this app only saves max. 3 trips ).
The app can run in the background even with your screen of.
I expect you will drain the battery anyway within a single daytrip but I also invested in a power bank for my Phone to add some juice during the trip.
The bigger capacity power banks should last you a couple of days without external electricity.

OysteinNL's gear list:OysteinNL's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
epijay
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?
In reply to darkwings, Dec 22, 2013

I have a combination if BadElf GPS pro and the foolography Bluetooth module- does what you want and also remote triggering:

http://youtu.be/3lUG0JgjEp0

Jay

Where is the Wisdom that is lost in the knowledge?
Where is the Knowledge that is lost in the information?
Where is the Information that is lost in the data?
-TS ELiot

brancaleone
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
In reply to eyeu, Dec 23, 2013

eyeu wrote:

I looked at the web site..Qstarz..and could not find either prices and where to purchase...could you help? thanks

rick

-- hide signature --

www.eyeu.smugmug.com

I bought my QSTARZ 818XT 10Hz an Amazon and I'm quite satisfy with it, the logger is connected to the camera with a Blue thoot AOKA transmitter. Data is immediately register on each image EXIF no memory problems with that and the battery is good for two solid days of shooting without recharge.

brancaleone's gear list:brancaleone's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +4 more
brancaleone
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
Re: Qstarz BT-Q1000XT
In reply to eyeu, Dec 23, 2013

eyeu wrote:

In the reviews, said very difficult to use with Macs. Have they changed the software? Do you use a Mac? thanks

rick

-- hide signature --

www.eyeu.smugmug.com

I have 3 Macs and no problems of any kind.

brancaleone's gear list:brancaleone's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads