Lightroom edits using both PC and Mac

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions
Deji
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Lightroom edits using both PC and Mac
Apr 6, 2013

I'll soon be getting a 15" MacBook Pro to replace a derelict Dell laptop. I'm looking for help with using Lightroom 4 seamlessly with the MBP and my Win 7 desktop (which I love for editing because of its dual-monitor setup).

In the coming months, I will be traveling often with the MBP and taking substantial numbers of photographs.

I would appreciate your help with organising my storage and workflow on the road and (most importantly) when I return home.

Can I copy the current catalogue and image files from the Win 7 desktop's HDD to a USB 3 external drive then take the external drive on the road, hook it up to the MBP add images files, freely edit all these files AND finally, when I return home, hook it back up to the Windows machine and continue my editing?

Are there file format issues which will prevent me from moving this drive back and forth as I've described above? Is there another way to achieve what I want? Or do I have no alternative but to buy virtualisation software, install Windows 7 and run LR4 in Windows?

Thank you for your help.

-- hide signature --

Deji

Deji's gear list:Deji's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
ANSWER:
Larry Paris
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom edits using both PC and Mac
In reply to Deji, Apr 6, 2013

I take my MBP on the road along with an 256G Lacie external drive with a thunderbolt port for the MBP.  The Lacie also has a USB port.  I download my photos from my camera through my MBP to the Lacie where I import them into Lightroom.  I edit the photos on the road and I save all changes to the Lacie.  When I get home I plug the Lacie into my Desktop (I have an iMac) and import them into Lightroom with edits intact.  You will plug in the USB into your PC through the USB port, import your edited photos into Lightroom, and Lightroom will automatically create previews of each photo and save them to your Lightroom catalog.

-- hide signature --

Larry from Chilliwack

Larry Paris's gear list:Larry Paris's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deji
Like?
In reply to Larry Paris, Apr 6, 2013

Larry Paris wrote:

I take my MBP on the road along with an 256G Lacie external drive with a thunderbolt port for the MBP.  The Lacie also has a USB port.  I download my photos from my camera through my MBP to the Lacie where I import them into Lightroom.  I edit the photos on the road and I save all changes to the Lacie.  When I get home I plug the Lacie into my Desktop (I have an iMac) and import them into Lightroom with edits intact.  You will plug in the USB into your PC through the USB port, import your edited photos into Lightroom, and Lightroom will automatically create previews of each photo and save them to your Lightroom catalog.

-- hide signature --

Larry from Chilliwack

Thanks for the response Larry. So essentially, import your "road" catalogue into your "home" catalogue, right?
Have you ever transferred a portion (or all of) your "home" catalogue to the Lacie, done edits on some of its images and added more images while you're on the road and then seamlessly re-imported all of the changes into the "home" catalogue?

Do you know if moving catalogues between a Mac and PC will raise any file-format issues?

Appreciate any comments.

-- hide signature --

Deji

Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,112
Like?
In reply to Deji, Apr 6, 2013

there are no PC <-> Mac file format issues.

Larry Paris
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deji, Apr 7, 2013

You are not importing the catalog--you are importing the photos to your windows catalog.  I wouldn't try to move your catalog between platforms--it could get really messy.  The way I've suggested is the simplest.

-- hide signature --

Larry from Chilliwack

Larry Paris's gear list:Larry Paris's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Deji
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 7, 2013

Howard Moftich wrote:

there are no PC <-> Mac file format issues.

Thank you Howard.

-- hide signature --

Deji

Deji
Like?
In reply to Larry Paris, Apr 7, 2013

Larry Paris wrote:

You are not importing the catalog--you are importing the photos to your windows catalog.  I wouldn't try to move your catalog between platforms--it could get really messy.  The way I've suggested is the simplest.

-- hide signature --

Larry from Chilliwack

Thanks Larry, this is one of the issues I was hoping to clarify.

-- hide signature --

Deji

ChrisBurch
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deji, Apr 8, 2013

I have a Windows desktop and recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro.  I can import and edit photos on the MacBooks and then export them to my desktop with no problems at all.  I perform an export of the edited photos with "Original" selected under File Settings.  You'll get the raw files plus a .xmp file for each image.  When you import these photos, the .xmp file will load your edits from your laptop.  It won't matter if you're using Mac or Windows.

ChrisBurch's gear list:ChrisBurch's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +15 more
AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to Deji, Apr 9, 2013

Congrats. You won't have any issues between the two. But if the only reason you include the PC is because of the dual monitors, why not just plug one of them in to your MBP and skip the PC altogether?

HenryL64
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
In reply to Larry Paris, Apr 9, 2013

Larry Paris wrote:

-- hide signature --

Larry from Chilliwack

Could you elaborate on how moving a catalog between platforms could get messy?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Henry

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094
Like?
In reply to Deji, Apr 10, 2013

Just about all Adobe products (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) use cross-platform-safe file formats, that's why you should have no problem there.

The only problems you might run into would be the differences in disk formatting that Windows (FAT32, NTFS) and Mac (HFS+) expect, which can affect which platform can read and write to a drive. But if it ever becomes a problem that gets in your way you can get cheap software that will allow either side to fully read and write to the other platform's disk formats.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads