bhphotovideo site

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
shuttervelocity
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
bhphotovideo site
Apr 5, 2013

In this modern cut-throat world where online stores are going out of their way to get business from customers, I'm truly surprised how a site like bhphotovideo is even surviving!  Whenever I try to buy something from that site, it says 'online ordering is unavailable' and then there was a big downtime for something called passover.  what is up with that company?

So, not really dissing the site, because they have great deals on Used items but I've never been able to order anything because I always miss it because online ordering is unavailable.  So, what's the deal with that site?  is it manually operated by people who dont work weekends?

-- hide signature --

Sam

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,832Gear list
Like?
Re: bhphotovideo site
In reply to shuttervelocity, Apr 5, 2013

shuttervelocity wrote:

In this modern cut-throat world where online stores are going out of their way to get business from customers, I'm truly surprised how a site like bhphotovideo is even surviving!  Whenever I try to buy something from that site, it says 'online ordering is unavailable' and then there was a big downtime for something called passover.  what is up with that company?

So, not really dissing the site, because they have great deals on Used items but I've never been able to order anything because I always miss it because online ordering is unavailable.  So, what's the deal with that site?  is it manually operated by people who dont work weekends?

It's operated by ethical people who choose to observe their religion.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?
In reply to shuttervelocity, Apr 6, 2013

My favorite site. The Jewish holidays do turn off their ordering for some reason? My only complaint is thst I wish that you could order and it sat in line for when they got back not have to wait to even order. I like that someone cares enough about something that buisness isn't their master. (Is it a good business model gor everyone? No.) Overall my vote is I shop there all the time and if the holiday blocks me on a deadline adorama or amazon can have my business.

They offer up there with the best service of anyone and it is targeted to the camera world unlike amazon. So... if you have an issue question whatever I have personally found them great.   I think in THIS case quality trumps slight inconvenience (which they do warn you before holidays in advance).

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,814
Like?
In reply to Placation101, Apr 6, 2013

Placation101 wrote:

My favorite site. The Jewish holidays do turn off their ordering for some reason? My only complaint is thst I wish that you could order and it sat in line for when they got back not have to wait to even order. I like that someone cares enough about something that buisness isn't their master. (Is it a good business model gor everyone? No.) Overall my vote is I shop there all the time and if the holiday blocks me on a deadline adorama or amazon can have my business.

They offer up there with the best service of anyone and it is targeted to the camera world unlike amazon. So... if you have an issue question whatever I have personally found them great.   I think in THIS case quality trumps slight inconvenience (which they do warn you before holidays in advance).

Adorama is usually closed on the same days.

If the OP really doesn't know what Passover is he must have been living under a rock for most of his short life.

It's hard to believe.

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?

shuttervelocity wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sam

Passover is a very important Jewish holiday that lasts for eight days. B&H, Adorama, and several other camera stores are run by very religious Jews who are forbidden by Jewish law to do business on Jewish holidays. This includes the time from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday which is the Jewish sabbath.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,642
Like?

They're Orthodox Jews that choose to practice their religion. This may help.

http://www.orthodox-jews.com/working-on-the-sabbath.html

Do a Google search for Passover, it's easy to find the information and work around the days they do not do business, their website lists the days they are closed.

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,985Gear list
Like?

B&H is the biggest, best photographic store in the US, possibly the world. It "survives" because it has a tremendous stock and generally th lowest prices on everything. The fact that you didn't already know that about B&H, didn't know why they were closed, but chose to criticism the, anyway adds all the context we need to know for your comments.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,438
Like?

shuttervelocity wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sam

The business is run by orthodox Jewish.  Their sabbath is on Saturday, so they stop doing business Friday afternoon until late Saturday.  They also close for the corresponding Jewish holidays.  Since B&H is the most reliable, trustworthy, and best stocked camera store in the US - both as a brick & mortar and internet business - it's quite a small price to pay.  It's quite clear to those of us who have been patronizing them why they stay in business.  If the religious holiday closings bother you, there are other stores - but quite frankly none can hold a candle to B&H.

Mark

Mark B.
Like?
In reply to Placation101, Apr 6, 2013

Placation101 wrote:

My favorite site. The Jewish holidays do turn off their ordering for some reason?

Theyr'e very strict about not doing business on their religious holidays - that includes internet business, even if the store is closed and there are no employees there.

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Apr 6, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Placation101 wrote:

My favorite site. The Jewish holidays do turn off their ordering for some reason?

Theyr'e very strict about not doing business on their religious holidays - that includes internet business, even if the store is closed and there are no employees there.

They are actually forbidden by Jewish law from doing business on the Sabbath and on Jewish holidays.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?

shuttervelocity wrote:

In this modern cut-throat world where online stores are going out of their way to get business from customers, I'm truly surprised how a site like bhphotovideo is even surviving!B&H are worth dealing with.

Not me; their service (and communication) is very good.

I haven't been 100% impressed with any biz, but B&H probably come closest to that ideal, from what I have been able to suss out so far.

Recommendations for them are far and wide, all over the net.

Their direct-mail newsletters are good. Their videos and insights entice you to do more with equipment (and spend more money at their store). When they say they have stock, there is no messing around: they have stock. Unlike so many other stores that say stock is available when it isn't.

Their warehouses must be huge.

I love their messages on their website: they keep you informed of everything. Sometimes orders can be time-critical; it's good to be informed of when the shop is closed or when service will resume for their customers, many of whom are international.

And it's great to be informed on the website itself rather than going on twitter or whatever; the customer shouldn't be expected to do that.

Their website is easy to navigate and isn't littered with 3rd party sellers. Search is pretty effective. If an export restriction is encountered, you are informed of it on their website. If you or anyone you know orders from them, they send you a fat catalogue in the mail showing you all the cool stuff they sell. The range is mind-boggling.

Henry Posner is a great communicator and an asset to B&H.

https://twitter.com/h_posner

Basically, they are doing so many things right.

Mark B.
Like?
In reply to mgd43, Apr 6, 2013

mgd43 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Placation101 wrote:

They are actually forbidden by Jewish law from doing business on the Sabbath and on Jewish holidays.

Maybe, but not all Jewish run businesses follow this as strictly as B&H; for example Adorama's online shopping is still active even though the store is closed.  It's not a bad thing, and B&H communicates it very clearly.

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,358
Like?
We're here when we're here. We actually have lives.

shuttervelocity wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sam

To put it simply, in a social media world, they are unaffected and unconcerned and you can work with them or  you can not.  Not that they would ever say so but,  their business,  their rules, if you don't like  it,  shop elsewhere and ... oh yes, tough.  I love B&H.

Probably the last company in America that doesn't  call a Board of Director's meeting  if some belligerent retard goes on Twitter and whines. (#Target, manatee grey as a color on fat women's clothes. They were offended. The fat women that is. I feel for the manatees, being reduced to a color chip.)

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,100Gear list
Like?

You sound like you have my luck, whenever I decide I just have to have something, it always turns out to be a holiday weekend!

B&H is a first class strong organization who's beliefs come first, the way it should be.

If you have an issue with them, do a search here for henryp, B&H rep, he will assist you!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,407
Like?

Try looking up Passover an a WEB site.  You might learn something.  Also try looking up Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana, and Shabbat.

-- hide signature --

Don

shuttervelocity
Like?
Wow! So many replies!
In reply to donaldsc, Apr 6, 2013

Hey Guys, thanks for confirming they are Jewish and letting me know so much about their customs.  My wife's first job was with a company that had its headquarters in Israel and all her co-workers were Jewish.  She would tell me that on certain days they will not even ride elevators, not use cell phones and any other electronic/electrical device.  But I never put 1+1 together and realize BH is bound by such terms.

I will look over passover.  I knew it was something to do with Jewish tradition, but since I'm a Hindu, I don't have much information about Jewish customs.    I am certainly not offended by any religion and looking at the support for bhphotovideo in this very thread, I'll be surely visiting them more often than Amazon.  

thanks and if I remotely, even remotely came across as offending anyone, I sincerely, truly apologize.

Peace!

-- hide signature --

Sam

JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed B, Apr 6, 2013

Ed B wrote:

Placation101 wrote:

Adorama is usually closed on the same days.

If the OP really doesn't know what Passover is he must have been living under a rock for most of his short life.

It's hard to believe.

I don't know what passover is.

I must have lived under a rock without even knowing it.

What a stupid comment.

JohnJ

JohnJ851's gear list:JohnJ851's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,814
Like?
In reply to JohnJ851, Apr 6, 2013

JohnJ851 wrote:

I don't know what passover is.

I must have lived under a rock without even knowing it.

What a stupid comment.

JohnJ

An adult who actually has no knowledge of Passover would be considered a person who has led a sheltered life, at best.

To say that person may be living "under a rock" isn't far from the truth.

Sorry if my previous comment upset you.

jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
B&H is the best

I've been dealing with them since the early 80s and have never had a problem. Always good service. The closings are not a problem.

My father used to tell how his grandfather went into town to buy something at the hardware store....at 5 in the morning. He couldn't believe they weren't open. "They're losing lots of business!" said the old farmer.

shuttervelocity
Like?
Re: B&H is the best
In reply to jedinstvo, Apr 7, 2013

jedinstvo wrote:

I've been dealing with them since the early 80s and have never had a problem. Always good service. The closings are not a problem.

My father used to tell how his grandfather went into town to buy something at the hardware store....at 5 in the morning. He couldn't believe they weren't open. "They're losing lots of business!" said the old farmer.

LOL

-- hide signature --

Sam

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads