D600 vs D800

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,717
Like?
D600, hands down
In reply to RhysM, Apr 6, 2013

For what you describe, the D600 is more than enough camera 10 times over. Many people who bought the D800 now realize it was over-the-top, over-kill for them. That includes some pros who aren't too proud to admit it. I shoot weddings and portraits with 2 D600 bodies, and they are all I need and then some.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chipmaster
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs D800
In reply to RhysM, Apr 7, 2013

What you need versus what you want!

If you can afford the body, don't mind the extra weight and the larger file size get the D800.

For me personally I don't print anywhere where I need more than 12-18Meg, so the 24 was perfect.  Now to be honest when I compare the output of the D4 to D600 I do sometimes wonder if I should have gone to the D800

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,138Gear list
Like?
In reply to petholla, Apr 7, 2013

I find the issue of spots on the sensor to be a bogus one.  All you have to do is to clean it off with a wet cleaner until you've taken 3000 or so images.  Then the problem goes away.

The D800 requires good lenses (check the Nikon Technical Guide for the D800).  Most Nikon lenses have a sweet spot at about f/4 to f/8.  Since I shoot at 100 ISO (that is where you have the maximum dynamic range of 14 f/stops).

If you are serious about photography and are graduating from DX to FX, I would get the D800.  You will eventually want to replace your DX lenses so that you can have lenses that give you the same perspective as the DX lenses.  I find that the 16-35mm Nikkor is very good with the D800.  Even the 24-120 works well.  I'll get a 24-70 Nikkor as soon as Nikon comes out with an AF-S version.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +21 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,696Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 7, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Robin, why not do a simple resampling using PS CS6? I routinely take 12mp images to 16" x 24" and they look VERY sharp. Maybe use Genuine Fractals if you can't resample with CS6 (or 3, or 4, or 5). Your Epson 7800 will love you for it - and yes. I agree, 240 ppi is a great way to go with the Epson. Remember when the D3x was THE camera? I have seen many stunning and huge pro prints fro this 24mp camera.

Hi Steve,

I do resample with CS6 before final sharpening. While it is a good technique, it does not replace resolution.

I've printed D100 6MP images, D2x and D700 12MP images, as well as D800E 36MP images at sizes up to 24x36" on the 7800. I am very familiar with what each is capable of producing.

Upscaling and sharpening will give the impression of a sharp in-focus image. However, there is a significant difference in the detail included.

A cousin came to visit a few days ago to help a mutual friend who had lost a husband. My cousin appreciates art, but does not know much about photography. Our friend is an artist who has worked in numerous media including painting, sculpture, and done some photography.

I was showing them some prints and the two things they commented on were the lighting and the detail. They were very impressed with both.

Ansel and Edward used 8x10 cameras for a reason.

Yep. They were the best available - at the time.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Cliff Fujii
Like?
Re: Robin
In reply to Steve Bingham, Apr 7, 2013

Robin,

Genuine Fractals is no more.  It was bought by OnOne Software about four years ago and is now called Perfect Resize 7.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +21 more
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 645
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 7, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Ok so we all know the spec differences between the two cameras but i'm wondering how much they matter to someone who doesn't shoot a lot of sport/action but simply wants a very good camera to capture family events, holidays, etc in superb quality.

Given the requirements listed above I'd go with a D7100 and the best glass, or a used D700.

Even a D5100 does a fantastic job for family stuff. Come to think of it, so does a D40.

In my experience, most people buy a D800 and really have no use of it's strengths. Probably not the answer you want if you're looking to buy a gee-wiz DSLR.

Cheers,

Robert

A large majority of family events are indoor, i would say that a DX camera's extra reach is irrelevant an the better high ISO of the FX format is a big advantage. Don't really see the D7100 being ideal.

Nonsense.

My wife's D7000 is an ideal family camera, fantastic indoors via the high ISO. There are plenty of great lens choices as well.

But I'd use the D5200 for family duty. It's compact, tons of resolution, great AF and just a great all-around cam.

I often use my P7700 for family stuff over the DSLRs I have.

Robert

The iso ois either fx is significantly better than The dx options. I do however think that if money if you are happy with the lower pixel count the a goof condition used d700 mayos always worth considering.

ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,232
Like?

RhysM wrote:

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

Actual difference is a lot less than 50%. according to DXO pmp, actual resolution improvement from D3X to D800 is most cases is merely 1 mp.

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

D600's Af's working range goes down to -1EV and D800's -2, it is a hardware spec, cannot be changed by firmware

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that, so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

Same here, I have only once needed 1/8000 that is when shooting solar eclipse.

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

While I do wish D600 had 1/250s, I do not think it is a deal break, and I cannot imagine it would be a deal break for anyone.

Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?

Seriously RysM, your aim is to haear: "Buy the D600, the D800 isn't worth it."

You seem to ask a question but already jump to conclusions.

The D800 is a bit more capable in every regard than a D600 but (as always) your return of invest diminishes. Whether you want (rather than need) that upgrade is a matter of your rationality and pocket.

My decision was between the D800 and the D800E (and decided by the pocket).

Will there be a situation where a D800 will give you an image while a D600 would fail?

I don't think so.

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,144
Like?
In reply to Joerg V, Apr 7, 2013

I bought an FM2 when it was the only SLR with a 1/200 flash sync speed. (As soon as it was announced the L.A. Times ordered 40 FM2 cameras for it staff photographers; the PJs appreciated the ability to use fill-flash that did not produce ghost images. In those days a lot of pro shooters used SLRs that were aimed at amateur photographers because they were relatively small and inexpensive as well as having some features that were not available on the venerable F series cameras.)

The difference between a 1/200 and 1/250 flash sync is minimal; the slightly slower sync speed is fine for eliminating fill-flash ghosting. I use fill-flash quite a bit and I've owned Nikons with both sync speeds; the D600 sync speed should not dissuade anyone from purchasing the camera if it otherwise meets their requirements.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Istvan Lorincz, Apr 7, 2013

Istvan Lorincz wrote:

TOF guy pls. dont tell me you have a displays with 2560x2048 in QSXGA mode that makes 5Mp resolution or higher.

Not sure we're understand one each other. 12 MP sufficient for most display / printing needs does not mean 12 MP used for display. It meant that it's sufficient for the combined needs.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?

RhysM wrote:

Ok so we all know the spec differences between the two cameras but i'm wondering how much they matter to someone who doesn't shoot a lot of sport/action but simply wants a very good camera to capture family events, holidays, etc in superb quality.

Ok so... (glass half full, leaving out the dust/left focus issues, assuming you get a good unit)

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

What your forgetting is cropping

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

The af is superior in other ways its faster and works in lower light

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that, so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

yeah but when you shoot prime lenses wide open outdoors you may find your self wanting it. overall not a big deal

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

if you use flash outside you will appreciate this

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

When I spend a bunch of money on photogear build quality is a very big deal

Thoughts?

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,707
Like?
It are 2 camera's aimed at different usage

RhysM wrote:

Indeed. For most people usage it is more than you need. That is why Nikon made the D800, it is a camera made for specific usage and users. Those who need the highest resolution possible out of a Nikon DSLR should buy a D800.

The D600 is more in line with the average photographer and usage in mind. Comparing both is a non issue as well. If you need the highest resolution/and/or movie quality possible buy the D800(E) If not, buy the D600.

I've not much problems before the new firmware and I have lesser after. The AF system in the D800/D4 is a complicated one, color/contrast (scene) has a lot of influence on it. I think most underestimate it a bit, many found it out already..

It is a simple as that. If you really need 1/8000 of a sec. buy a d800. There are Nikon cameras' out there who give you the option, so if you need it buy that one.

That might actually be a very good point for many to consider an other model.

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

Use logic sense and there is no problem. Holding your camera at the base with a 200-400mm lens, yes it will damage the lens mount.
The D800 might give the impression it is of a lesser quality build than the D700 (it's not a follow up, but as a comparison) But I've been not so gentle the past year with my D800 as I do with my other camera's, there is nothing broken, or seriously scratched or damaged. What I cealery do notice is that internally the D800 gives a much better build impression than that from example of the D700 The heavy clunking of the mirror housing for example.

Thoughts?

As always, buy the camera you need.
Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Dave Largent
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068
Like?
Fujii, stop spreading mis-information
In reply to Cliff Fujii, Apr 7, 2013

All you have to do is to clean it off with a wet cleaner until you've taken 3000 or so images.  Then the problem goes away.

There are many reports that the problem does NOT go away after 3000 actuations.  I've seen reports of 10,000 actuations and still the problem persists.

PK24X36NOW
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 8, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Actual difference is a lot less than 50%. according to DXO pmp, actual resolution improvement from D3X to D800 is most cases is merely 1 mp.

You'll need to look at the same lenses on the D800E, since for some reason the D800 seems to be heavily penalized for its AA filter in DxO's PMP metric. There is a huge difference between D800 and D800E in PMP for the same lens, bringing, for example, the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 (older version) score from 15PMP on the D800 to 21PMP on the D800E (or 50% more resolution than the 14PMP on the D3X). Only a few lenses have been tested on the D800E so far, so you'll have to wait and see the results for additional lenses. I'd accept the D800E result as the more realistic, since the PMP for the D600 with 2/3 the pixels is often equal to or higher than the D800's numbers, which is simply not credible (e.g., 16PMP for the above-mentioned Tamron on the D600, vs. 15PMP on the D800).

Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 833
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Apr 8, 2013

RhysM wrote:

Thoughts?

My thought is you do not know mathematics.

The difference between 1/200 second and 1/250 second is not 1/50 second.

result42
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Apr 8, 2013

RhysM wrote:

Ok so... (glass half full, leaving out the dust/left focus issues, assuming you get a good unit)

Thoughts?

I have D700, D3X, D800E.  For Quality 'family pics' all are overkill.  I would go with used D700 for $1400 or any of the DX cams.  If the goal is Landscape at > 19" I would go with either D600 or D800. I print large 24" X 36" or panos up to 24" X 90".  With D800 you can get a 24" X 40" single shot pano and it looks good.  I have single shot 24" X 34" iceberg shots in Iceland from D700 and it does OK as well.  Doesn't have the 3d look of D800 due to limited pixels near edge of objects (soft transition of instead of harsh transition for D700).

-- hide signature --
Cliff Fujii
Like?
Re: Largent, are you for real?
In reply to Dave Largent, Apr 9, 2013

I've seen many examples of where people with D600 cameras have their issues go away after they've used it for a while.  Some say 3000 actuations, some same more, some say less.  I have a D800 and a D600 with no sensor issues on either.  As far as I'm concerned, cleaning a sensor is not a big deal.  It can be if you discover the issue while you're in the field.  If you have this issue, I'm sorry for you, learn to check your gear before you go out.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Craig_C
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: D600 is more camera than most really need (difference between need and want)
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, 11 months ago

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Non issue for most who don't shoot in roughest of the conditions.

Oh lordy! Say that when your heavy lens disengages from the front of your body after tearing the mount out.... Used to work as one of the guys taking in repairs at a major pro camera shop...  saw it too often.

Rule one - Metal chassis always!

Rule two - a slightly shorter neck strap rigged to the lens so the lens takes its own weight - jury rig if necessary - even when following Rule One.

Just because almost all new cameras are now essentially disposable, both rules still apply.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
In reply to RhysM, 11 months ago

RhysM wrote:

Frankly for family events, holidays etc you can take superb quality photos with a D7100, or D5200 and two or three good lenses.  Or even something like a Fuji XE

But if you really want an FX camera the D600 will be more than enough. Though, apart from the skill of the person behind the camera, I think the main thing is good lenses.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads