D600 vs D800

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,562
Like?
D600 vs D800
Apr 5, 2013

Ok so we all know the spec differences between the two cameras but i'm wondering how much they matter to someone who doesn't shoot a lot of sport/action but simply wants a very good camera to capture family events, holidays, etc in superb quality.

Ok so... (glass half full, leaving out the dust/left focus issues, assuming you get a good unit)

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that, so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

Thoughts?

Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,311Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs D800
In reply to RhysM, Apr 5, 2013

RhysM wrote:

Ok so we all know the spec differences between the two cameras but i'm wondering how much they matter to someone who doesn't shoot a lot of sport/action but simply wants a very good camera to capture family events, holidays, etc in superb quality.

Ok so... (glass half full, leaving out the dust/left focus issues, assuming you get a good unit)

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

Agreed.

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

Not as important as the D800's better focus hardware and larger focus and metering area.

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that, so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

Not a big deal if you don't mind reaching for a ND filter.  It is only 1 stop of light anyway.

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

This is a big deal to some people who like to use the flash as an assist outdoors.

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

Non-issue.

Thoughts?

I returned the D600 because I found it's matrix metering to be unreliable.  The D800 is much better in this regard.  I definitely could see a focus speed improvement with the D800 vs. the D600.  Enjoying the extra controls on the D800.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?

RhysM wrote:

Thoughts?

Build quality and handling is a significant difference for some (myself included)

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,587Gear list
Like?
In reply to golf1982, Apr 5, 2013

You seem to have made up your mind in advance. 24 versus 36mp not relevant???

I think its more than relevant - it is the point.

I have D800E. It was perfect from day one. I considered getting a D600 recently as well. I couldn't get past the dust/oil issue and how badly handled it was. I didn't get one. As far as I can tell because Nikon won't reveal it, they are still making D600's with oil/dust problems right now.

So I had zero confidence and that was enough to consider other cameras. A shame as I think the D600 is potentially a wonderful camera.

I don't think photos of what you want to take with oil/dust spots on it would be considered superb quality. Quite the opposite.

Also for travel I would consider portability to be a big issue. I have a Fuji XE1 for that and I tend to use it more than my D800E because of it plus it tends to have better ooc jpegs than either D800E or D600 in other than daylight light.

Greg.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?

RhysM wrote:

Given the requirements listed above I'd go with a D7100 and the best glass, or a used D700.

Even a D5100 does a fantastic job for family stuff. Come to think of it, so does a D40.

In my experience, most people buy a D800 and really have no use of it's strengths. Probably not the answer you want if you're looking to buy a gee-wiz DSLR.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
RhysM
Like?
In reply to golf1982, Apr 5, 2013

Handling i can agree with if you've go very large hands or you shooting style requires fast changing of settings, but based on the above criteria given the intended user surely the build of a D600 is sufficient!?! I think people just don't understand how strong polycarbonate is and just have a bit of a snobbery about all magnesium.

RhysM
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 5, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Given the requirements listed above I'd go with a D7100 and the best glass, or a used D700.

Even a D5100 does a fantastic job for family stuff. Come to think of it, so does a D40.

In my experience, most people buy a D800 and really have no use of it's strengths. Probably not the answer you want if you're looking to buy a gee-wiz DSLR.

Cheers,

Robert

A large majority of family events are indoor, i would say that a DX camera's extra reach is irrelevant an the better high ISO of the FX format is a big advantage. Don't really see the D7100 being ideal.

Photographysnapped
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

RhysM wrote:

24 is enough even 12 was enough, but lots of photographers do a lot of post processing and cropping so D800 with 36MP would be the camera for me

39 is ok but the problem with the D600 the 39 points its bunch up in the middle

not really a problem you can use a filter

i dont use flash to much

I have a 70-200 vr2 and I think its a heavy lens, I rather be sure than sorry

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Ray

Photographysnapped's gear list:Photographysnapped's gear list
Nikon D800
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?

Handle both and see which feels better to you. I see lots of people here complaining about the D600 being a toy or cheap. I can't understand these complaints. The D600 is almost a perfect size to me. The D800 is a great camera and I've owned a D700 and D3 in the past. But there is nothing cheap or flimsy about the D600 to me. I've not noticed any focusing issues in low light. As for the rest of your comments I agree. It's an excellent product and well worth the cost, weight, and size savings to me over the D800.

BTW, if someone wanted to give me a D800 free, I'd take it! It's a great camera. But I would not sell my D600 for it.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,345
Like?

RhysM wrote:

Unlike the magic on CSI TV shows, upsizing will not recover lost detail. However, that probably wont matter for family shots. Grandma isn't going to appreciate a photo where you can count her pores.

I think the difference would come in tracking moving life-forms. The wider spread of points in the D800 would give you more area in which to track the creature.

If you like to limit DOF in bright sunlight, you may want the extra stop.

There have been many threads here in the past complaining about being limited to 1/250 flash sync. It can make a big difference when trying to use fill flash on moving subjects.

Magnesium supplements will help prevent calcium oxalate kidney stones and keep you regular.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
D600 is more camera than most really need (difference between need and want)

RhysM wrote:

Not an issue at all. I have printed 24x36" from 12 MP cameras (D2x and D3) that look very good from a couple of feet of viewing distance (practical situation). Heck, I even have 20x30" posters hanging on my wall from 6 MP images from D70.

This is probably the biggest difference in practical situations. It is not just the number of AF points that makes the difference. Multi-CAM 3500 on D800 is simply faster and also provides slightly better coverage. However, for all practical purposes, those shooting D600 will not their shots because of relative AF deficiencies. Multi-CAM 4800 is actually a very good AF module.

This is totally a non issue for general photographers. What percentage of their images were ever shot at shutter speed faster than 1/4000 seconds? Less than 1% for me, for sure.

This is also not as big an issue as both cameras support high speed FP Sync where the camera can shoot at up to the fastest shutter speed with flash (obviously, you won't get the full flash power as the flash does multiple smaller power bursts in High Speed FP Sync mode). But the fact is that in situation when you need to use the flash at faster shutter speed, it is available.

Non issue for most who don't shoot in roughest of the conditions.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?

RhysM wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Cheers,

Robert

A large majority of family events are indoor, i would say that a DX camera's extra reach is irrelevant an the better high ISO of the FX format is a big advantage. Don't really see the D7100 being ideal.

Nonsense.

My wife's D7000 is an ideal family camera, fantastic indoors via the high ISO. There are plenty of great lens choices as well.

But I'd use the D5200 for family duty. It's compact, tons of resolution, great AF and just a great all-around cam.

I often use my P7700 for family stuff over the DSLRs I have.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484Gear list
Like?

i have the d600 but also use the d800 quite a bit (loaner from a friend)

size and weight favors the d600 even though i must say the d800 is better to grip and handle

i prefer the controls on the d800 but if you don't know better the d600's would be fine

the AF on the d800 is more versatile; the d600 AF points are too centered

the leather like grip on the d800 feels better and higher quality

i do miss the 1/8000 speed sometimes especially shooting with fast lenses under the sun

overall the d800 is the better camera

whether the weight , the MP, and price differences are worth it is all up to you

for me they're not, the d600 suffices

cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10
zzzzzzzzzzz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,228
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Apr 6, 2013

Disagreed, but if you have to ask then you certainly should not get the D800.

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?

Having more pixels to play with is always a good thing, and the D800's sensor doesn't appear to lose anything (in terms of noise) to the 24 MP sensor. While you can upsize a 24 MP image to 36 MP, it's impossible to pull out detail that wasn't captured in the first place.

I don't know how the D800 performs, but when tracking motion in low light with a fast lens mounted, the D600 has trouble. By low light, I mean ISO 2000, f/1.4, 1/50s. AF does lock and track, but the hit rate is very low.

It's awesome in even slightly better light, though. And hit rate improves a lot if I use the 80-200/2.8 AF-S instead of the 50/1.4. It's also better with a 300/2.8 AF-I. Maybe the screw drive 50/1.4 lens just isn't as good for motion tracking.

I've shot my 50/1.4 wide open in broad daylight, using ISO 50 and ISO 100. I don't see it as a big problem, although a higher shutter speed is always nice.

Set DX crop mode, and use a flash that the camera can't properly communicate with. Sync at 1/400s without shutter curtain shadowing!

You can also set it to sync at 1/250s (without crop) if you feel like. But if 1/200s is not sufficient, 1/250s probably won't be either.

I regularly hang a 300mm f/2.8 AF-I off the front plate of my D600. The old AF-I version is actually slightly heavier than the latest VR versions (no weight saving with magnesium alloy, and metal hood instead of carbon fiber). I haven't had any problems with it so far. I also use a 80-200/2.8 AF-S quite often, and that lens is also a tiny bit heavier than the latest VR versions. Again, the D600 handles it with no problems.

Of course, when I'm shooting with a heavy lens, I'm using my left hand to hold the lens up. Trying to level a 6.5 pound lens without supporting the lens seems like a recipe for disaster. Even if you could do it, it wouldn't be very stable.

Thoughts?

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Hokkaido Jan
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
In reply to chlamchowder, Apr 6, 2013

These posts always make me laugh.

It's obviously the OP's attempt to make himself feel better about his purchase.

Whats the point in threads like these? I thought a "Vs" "Battle" surely shouldn't be just one sided opinion?

D800 is a better camera simple as.

Is it for everyone? of course not.

-- hide signature --
 Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
petholla
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Hokkaido Jan, Apr 6, 2013

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

Whats the point in threads like these? I thought a "Vs" "Battle" surely shouldn't be just one sided opinion?

-- hide signature --

I'm also struggling to choose between D600 and D800 and it does help me to see what other people think about the differences. Currently I have a D5100 and wanted to make my step into the FX world with a D600 but then I saw all the threads about the oil issues and started to look at the D800 too. So please do reply to these threads, I'm sure there are other people as well who find these posts useful.

Hokkaido Jan
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
In reply to petholla, Apr 6, 2013

petholla wrote:

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm also struggling to choose between D600 and D800 and it does help me to see what other people think about the differences. Currently I have a D5100 and wanted to make my step into the FX world with a D600 but then I saw all the threads about the oil issues and started to look at the D800 too. So please do reply to these threads, I'm sure there are other people as well who find these posts useful.

Im all for comparing threads, but the OP has just layed down a list of things HE THINKS are plusses to the D600 and minuses to the D800. No balance. To me it seems like the OP is justifying his choice, and pushing it on everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, the D600 is an awesome piece of kit, and it will suit many photographers.

-- hide signature --
 Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Istvan Lorincz
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

Is the 24 Mp really not enough for a photographer? Everybody is speaking about camera resolution but we still forget to speak about pc or mac displays, lenses and printing limits. A full HD 1080 resolution has 2Mp. The best reso. for displays is 2560x2048 in QSXGA mode that means 5Mp. Even a retina display can show us 3,1Mp so for what do we really need the 36 Mp?

In case you have a 8K UHDTV (4320p) has a resolution of 7680 × 4320 (33.2 megapixels), 16 times the pixels of current 1080p HDTV it makes sense to take pics with 36Mp. Somebody has one?

Dont forget about the size of these huge files in raw mode. For a wedding photographer not really good to handle with. If somebody has a display with 6000x4000 pix. i buy right now.

About printing: I own a D-Lab.3 and can see the printing limits of the 300dpi. Not even Noritsu or Fuji is able to bring this 36Mp resolution with their 420dpi to print.

Istvan Lorincz's gear list:Istvan Lorincz's gear list
Nikon D4
Istvan Lorincz
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hokkaido Jan, Apr 6, 2013

I think the main difference after resolution is the AF system and all over handling. The D600 fills a big gap between the D700 and the D800. Beter than the D700 but not so good like the D800. There is also the difference of 1k USD. Donf forget about that.

Istvan Lorincz's gear list:Istvan Lorincz's gear list
Nikon D4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads