What cap for X100/s with lens hood?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
steddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
What cap for X100/s with lens hood?
Apr 5, 2013

I've just got the lens hood for the X100s so I can fit a filter to the front of the lens.

Now the lens cap that came with the camera no longer fits, so I went to a camera show to buy one that clips inside the hood.

I tried the 55mm caps which were too small, and the 58mm caps which were too big.  The shop told me there was nothing in between.

What does everyone else do?

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?
Re: What cap for X100/s with lens hood?
In reply to steddyman, Apr 5, 2013

steddyman wrote:

I've just got the lens hood for the X100s so I can fit a filter to the front of the lens.

Now the lens cap that came with the camera no longer fits, so I went to a camera show to buy one that clips inside the hood.

I tried the 55mm caps which were too small, and the 58mm caps which were too big.  The shop told me there was nothing in between.

What does everyone else do?

-- hide signature --

I don't want to speak for everyone else per your request but a 49mm squeeze-to-clip type lens cover works for me.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steddyman
Like?
In reply to 94, Apr 5, 2013

I mean on the outside of the lens hood.  There is a filter ring on the inside of the hood.

It wou;ld be really awkward to keep trying to get a cap on by passing it through the lens hood.

Here is a 58mm one, which I can get to fit but it is really tight and difficult to remove.

-- hide signature --
jazzyfingers
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?

Man, that's ugly. : /

I'm with 94 on this one - my X100S just arrived and I had the JJC hood, filter and a 49mm snap-on lens cover waiting for it. Very nice - not too fiddly to put the cap on the lens.

steddyman wrote:

I mean on the outside of the lens hood.  There is a filter ring on the inside of the hood.

It wou;ld be really awkward to keep trying to get a cap on by passing it through the lens hood.

Here is a 58mm one, which I can get to fit but it is really tight and difficult to remove.

-- hide signature --
 jazzyfingers's gear list:jazzyfingers's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
In reply to jazzyfingers, Apr 5, 2013

Photo Plus adaptor, hood and cap work quite well  - and costs about 12 quid.  Available from amazon.

I use an adaptor with a B+W Clear 49 007 filter - works great - protects the lens.

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
steddyman
Like?
In reply to jazzyfingers, Apr 5, 2013

So am I correct that this fits deep inside the hood onto the front of the filter?

You are right.  It is really ugly.

-- hide signature --
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

A 49mm centre-pinch cap (on filter) works fine - easy to fit/remove unless you have bananas for fingers

Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Apr 7, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

A 49mm centre-pinch cap (on filter) works fine - easy to fit/remove unless you have bananas for fingers

And if you do have banana size fingers or if your fingers are forever busy with bananas it's little trouble to snap OFF the lens shade, snap ON the lens cover,  and then snap ON the lens shade once more. Certainly less bother than attempting a butt ugly solution such as that 58mm monstrosity shown.

Or, perhaps, wrap the thought that no photo whatsoever is obtained with a covered lensĀ into the workflow and leave all thought of lens covers behind, banished to the wide field of unproductive effort.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads