recommendation for Speedlight Beauty Dish

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Questions
Andrea Crema
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
recommendation for Speedlight Beauty Dish
Apr 5, 2013

I've been looking at a Soft box for my Nikon Speedlight.

Although I might still go that route (Already have a couple of umbrellas), I was interested in a beauty dish which seems to give a more edgy but still flattering light.

One such attachment I've seen is :-

http://www.strobeam.com/strobeam/on-camera-flash-accessories/mini-beauty-dish-for-on-camera-flash-with-honycomb-fita.html

Anyone have experience with such a device?

Thank You

Andrea Crema's gear list:Andrea Crema's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,753
Like?
Re: recommendation for Speedlight Beauty Dish
In reply to Andrea Crema, Apr 5, 2013

Hi,

The light from a 12" BD at say 4 ft is pretty hard - your link points to an even smaller BD, so at common working distances, you are going to get rapid light to dark transitions.

As mentioned in another current thread, an omnibounce or stofen device can help if direct light spills around the edge of the primary reflector.

Certainly a grid is useful with a bd - but your speedlight is likely to be working quite hard given the inefficiencies involved. Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andrea Crema
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Apr 5, 2013

Thanks ScratchDisk.

Do you think then the Softbox would be better?

Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
Denton Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?

That's not a beauty dish, that's a toy. You probably have some money in the flash, spend a little more and get the flash off the camera either with a synch cord or radio trigger, and get one of these or similar.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-beauty-dish-beautydish-22-40cm-for-nikon-flash-sb-900-sb-800-sb-600-sb-400-sb-80dx-sb-28-sb-27-sb-26-sb-25-sb-24-sb-23-sb-22.html

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/dentontay

Denton Taylor's gear list:Denton Taylor's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +20 more
Andrea Crema
Like?
In reply to Denton Taylor, Apr 5, 2013

Yes  your right, definitely more fit for the job

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,753
Like?

Hi, I did buy a couple of Ezyfold Ebay Speedlite Softboxes, a 24 X 24" & a 30 X 30". They are easy to use - I would go for a recessed front panel design. Remember you can mask off the diffusion surface to create different shaped catch-lights. Feathering across a subject works well.

I'm still working on BD setups. Even BD designs specifically for Speedlites do have their wrinkles. Many give nice light on-axis (their axis), but throw uneven light off-axis, which typically falls on the backdrop.

davmoto
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

Hi Andrea,

How much are you looking to spend? I highly recommend the Mola Lumi bracket mounted on their Demi beauty dish. It's an expensive package but in my opinion it's the best. Later on if you want to upgrade to higher power studio strobes all you need is a different speedring. So the investment will last you in the long run. I've shot most of the stuff here with a Nikon SB-800 flash mounted on the Mola Demi.

http://www.yamamotofoto.com

David

Andrea Crema
Like?
In reply to davmoto, Apr 5, 2013

From a practical point, maybe an Exybox clone would be a start for location shoots. I also have Hensel strobes which I would think would benefit a proper beauty dish In the studio.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads