Displaying 17x22 prints

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
cortlander1
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Displaying 17x22 prints
Apr 5, 2013

I have been an amateur photographer for many years, but only recently started to make my own prints with an Epson 3880. I usually print on 17x22 fine art paper like Canson Baryta, Epson Exhibition, Velvet Fine Art, Cold Press etc. i have no commercial aspirations, I do this because I just enjoy the beautiful prints that come out. I print landscapes 21x14, and portraits 16x20.

What I do want to do is to look at these from time to time, and share them with family and friends. Framing them is not practical as I already have over 100 of them with more to come. I have tried searching on the net for albums or portfolios to store and show off my pictures, but have not found any. I would appreciate suggestions on how to display these in view of my limited needs?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

cortlander1's gear list:cortlander1's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 556
Like?
Some ideas here
In reply to cortlander1, Apr 5, 2013

There are 17x22 options at about the 6:00 and 11:00 time marks:

http://moabpaper.com/blog/2011/6/26/portfolios-for-photographers.html

The whole video is worth watching.

Here is one of the sources he references:

http://www.portfoliobox.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
Re: Displaying 17x22 prints

I also use my 3880 to print at 17x22 or larger and have accumulated several 'handfuls' of prints that I enjoying showing to others. But first I needed a container for storage, at this size damage comes easy: scratches, rubbing..etc. So I purchased a package of Crysal Clear plastic bags from ClearBags,  ClearBags Contacts   17+ x 25+    B1725 $49/100

http://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags?nav_length=266&nav_width=252&p=3

For me, Crystal Clear was an understatement, I inserted a 17x25 print of a pair of 'resting' lions-- held it up for review and swore the lions were ready to pounce!! You can easily display your hiQ prints while in the bag--pass them around or tack on a wall. To show the media's texture, slide the print easily out of the bag. For household storage you wll want to store flat build a series of stacked shelves or visit Ikea!!

good luck  irv weiner

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,254
Like?

You can rotate framed prints. Change them out periodically. Metal frames with spring steal clips make this easy to accomplish. If you go for better quality wooden frames, then all you need is a framing point driver:
http://www.framingsupplies.com/Fletcher/FletcherPointDriver.htm

My father in-law used a couple of display easels, with a stack of matted and backed, but unframed prints on each. He would put the top one to the back every few days. And, if you wanted, you could easily flip through them. There are lots of designs:
http://www.dickblick.com/buy/category/display-easel

And while we are there, you may want to consider 17 x 25 inch paper. It is a much better ratio for most things. It gives you a 16 x 24 inch (2:3 ratio) image with 1/2 inch borders all round. 13 x 19 inch paper does the same for a 12 x 18 inch print.

Brian A

cortlander1
Like?
Re: Some ideas here
In reply to just Tony, Apr 5, 2013

just Tony wrote:

There are 17x22 options at about the 6:00 and 11:00 time marks:

http://moabpaper.com/blog/2011/6/26/portfolios-for-photographers.html

The whole video is worth watching.

Here is one of the sources he references:

http://www.portfoliobox.com/

Tony, this is a terrific video. I did not know there were such elegant solutions possible. I will pursue this further. Thanks very much.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
cortlander1
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Apr 5, 2013

irvweiner wrote:

I also use my 3880 to print at 17x22 or larger and have accumulated several 'handfuls' of prints that I enjoying showing to others. But first I needed a container for storage, at this size damage comes easy: scratches, rubbing..etc. So I purchased a package of Crysal Clear plastic bags from ClearBags,  ClearBags Contacts   17+ x 25+    B1725 $49/100

http://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags?nav_length=266&nav_width=252&p=3

For me, Crystal Clear was an understatement, I inserted a 17x25 print of a pair of 'resting' lions-- held it up for review and swore the lions were ready to pounce!! You can easily display your hiQ prints while in the bag--pass them around or tack on a wall. To show the media's texture, slide the print easily out of the bag. For household storage you wll want to store flat build a series of stacked shelves or visit Ikea!!

good luck  irv weiner

Thank you, Irv. Excellent suggestion. I just went to the clearbags site and wanted to place an order, but I see that they have a choice, either with flaps or without flap. So, which one would you recommend?

-- hide signature --

cortlander

cortlander1
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 5, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

You can rotate framed prints. Change them out periodically. Metal frames with spring steal clips make this easy to accomplish. If you go for better quality wooden frames, then all you need is a framing point driver:

My father in-law used a couple of display easels, with a stack of matted and backed, but unframed prints on each. He would put the top one to the back every few days. And, if you wanted, you could easily flip through them. There are lots of designs:

And while we are there, you may want to consider 17 x 25 inch paper. It is a much better ratio for most things. It gives you a 16 x 24 inch (2:3 ratio) image with 1/2 inch borders all round. 13 x 19 inch paper does the same for a 12 x 18 inch print.

Brian A

Brian, rotating framed prints was one of the first thoughts that came to my mind, but I did not know enough to judge if it was practical. I have been reading your informative posts in this forum and do value your opinion. So, as you have suggested, I will start with a few metal frames. I would need matte and backing and tape or corners along with the frame, right?

17x25 paper would be ideal and I do not understand why Epson does not have a selection like they do for 17x22. I saw Red River has some, but none seemed exciting. Do you have any suggestions, and are profiles for these available?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

Hugowolf
Like?

cortlander1 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

Brian A

Brian, rotating framed prints was one of the first thoughts that came to my mind, but I did not know enough to judge if it was practical. I have been reading your informative posts in this forum and do value your opinion. So, as you have suggested, I will start with a few metal frames. I would need matte and backing and tape or corners along with the frame, right?

Depends on how you want to do it. You could hinge mount to the mat and use the same backing board each time, storing each print with its mat. Since acid free foamboard isn't expensive, you could hinge to the backboard and store the whole sandwich (mat, print, backboard).

17x25 paper would be ideal and I do not understand why Epson does not have a selection like they do for 17x22. I saw Red River has some, but none seemed exciting. Do you have any suggestions, and are profiles for these available?

I have a larger format roll feed printer, so it really isn't a problem for me; but apart from RedRiver, Harman Gloss Baryta 320 g/m² comes in 17 x 25 inches, as do several Moab and Innova papers. Innova also have a few in 17 x 38 inches, the max print length of the 3880 being 37.4 inches.

I prefer sheets to rolls, so I have a lot of paper in 24 x 36 inches (Canson, Hahnemühle, Museo), which will cut down to 17 x 24 inches, with just a 2 inch strip of waste. Or two 12 x 36 inch panos with no waste.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Sheet+Size_24x36%22+%5bArch+D%5d&ci=1118&N=4077634583+4131098805+4290482481+4294955742

You have to shop around a little to realize the full selection. You might find twelve at one place, and eight at another, but of those eight, two might not be in the original dozen. Look at Atlex, their sister company itSupplies, and Shades of Paper.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?

cortlander1 wrote:

, but I see that they have a choice, either with flaps or without flap. So, which one would you recommend?

Irv may differ, but in most situations, you want a resealable flap. Here is another supplier:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-585-1-12reseal-flap.aspx

Brian A

irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Let me be clear. My response was to easily permit random display of the OP's 100+ large print collection. These Crystal Clear bags were perfect for me, I'm certain they will satisfy the OP's needs admirably.

The bags I chose, B1725 have a resealable flap, this permits a slightly longer print to be accommodated with protection. A 17x25 print will fit with wiggle room, a safety margin of ~7/16 exists V&H. For ~49 cents each-a bargain.

good luck  irv weiner

cortlander1
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Apr 5, 2013

Thank you, gentlemen, for all the helpful advice. I did order the Crystal Clear bags with flap. I am searching for metal frames - frame destination? light impressions? I did email portfolio.com. Beautiful stuff, but just ordering one box is pricey.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

cortlander1
Like?

Brian, I can see how nice flat sheets would be much nicer to work with then rolls, and do open up many size options. Is it hard to cut them to precise sizes? Do I need to get Rotatrim or Dahle, and if so what size will work for paper for 3880?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,530
Like?
Lots of options here....

cortlander1 wrote:

I have been an amateur photographer for many years, but only recently started to make my own prints with an Epson 3880. I usually print on 17x22 fine art paper like Canson Baryta, Epson Exhibition, Velvet Fine Art, Cold Press etc. i have no commercial aspirations, I do this because I just enjoy the beautiful prints that come out. I print landscapes 21x14, and portraits 16x20.

What I do want to do is to look at these from time to time, and share them with family and friends. Framing them is not practical as I already have over 100 of them with more to come. I have tried searching on the net for albums or portfolios to store and show off my pictures, but have not found any. I would appreciate suggestions on how to display these in view of my limited needs?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

http://www.printfile.com/

I buy from them all the time without any problems.

Bob P.

Hugowolf
Like?

cortlander1 wrote:

Thank you, gentlemen, for all the helpful advice. I did order the Crystal Clear bags with flap. I am searching for metal frames - frame destination? light impressions? I did email portfolio.com. Beautiful stuff, but just ordering one box is pricey.

Frame Destinations is another place to try.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?

cortlander1 wrote:

Brian, I can see how nice flat sheets would be much nicer to work with then rolls, and do open up many size options. Is it hard to cut them to precise sizes? Do I need to get Rotatrim or Dahle, and if so what size will work for paper for 3880?

You do not need one, but it makes a huge difference. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with a 36 inch trimmer, you really need something longer than you first envisualize.

I have a 28 1/4 inch Dahle and a 54 inch Rotatrim. Both are excellent, and neither are cheap.

Brian A

jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
In reply to cortlander1, Apr 6, 2013

You could go the direction of placing your prints in clear protective sleeves.  A nice touch would also be an attractive portfolio case or box.  Personally I don't like the idea of friends and relatives handling my prints even in protective sleeves.  Large prints are especially difficult to handle.  For the casual viewer, I like smaller prints and something like a blurb book.

I recommend displaying your work.  You mentioned looking for suitable inexpensive frames.  I am not sure there is such a thing if you want to show off large numbers of prints.  Also it would take a lot of time to mat and frame a 100 or so images.  I assume you do not have the wall space for a large number of images but would want to display several and rotate them frequently.  I have a suggestion if you are satisfied with a more informal display.  You paint the display wall with metallic paint and then top coat the metallic paint with a layer of regular latex paint to match the rest of your walls.  You would then use small rare earth magnets to hold up your prints.  It would appear as if you used push pins but there is no pin and the print would not be damaged.  You could do this with or without the plastic sleeve.  You would not be able to hang matted prints in this way because the mat would weigh too much.

In the past I also used mounting putty for smaller prints such as 8 1/2 x 11.  I would not recommend this for quality prints since the putty is hard to completely remove.  There is also the risk that the putty will dry out and the print will fall to the floor.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,586
Like?
Gallery clips
In reply to cortlander1, Apr 6, 2013

YOu could just get some gallery clips, some sheets of clear acrylic (17x22) and backing board.   Basically allows you to "frame" a print, without a frame.  The clips hold the 'glass', print and backer together.

Gallery Clips

FWIW, lightimpressions also has a decent selection of portfolio boxes also if you want to go that route

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

cortlander1
Like?
Re: Lots of options here....
In reply to Petruska, Apr 7, 2013

Petruska wrote:

cortlander1 wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

http://www.printfile.com/

I buy from them all the time without any problems.

Bob P.

Thank you, Bob, this is a good link.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

cortlander1
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, Apr 7, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

You could go the direction of placing your prints in clear protective sleeves.  A nice touch would also be an attractive portfolio case or box.  Personally I don't like the idea of friends and relatives handling my prints even in protective sleeves.  Large prints are especially difficult to handle.  For the casual viewer, I like smaller prints and something like a blurb book.

I recommend displaying your work.  You mentioned looking for suitable inexpensive frames.  I am not sure there is such a thing if you want to show off large numbers of prints.  Also it would take a lot of time to mat and frame a 100 or so images.  I assume you do not have the wall space for a large number of images but would want to display several and rotate them frequently.  I have a suggestion if you are satisfied with a more informal display.  You paint the display wall with metallic paint and then top coat the metallic paint with a layer of regular latex paint to match the rest of your walls.  You would then use small rare earth magnets to hold up your prints.  It would appear as if you used push pins but there is no pin and the print would not be damaged.  You could do this with or without the plastic sleeve.  You would not be able to hang matted prints in this way because the mat would weigh too much.

In the past I also used mounting putty for smaller prints such as 8 1/2 x 11.  I would not recommend this for quality prints since the putty is hard to completely remove.  There is also the risk that the putty will dry out and the print will fall to the floor.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

Jim, I do like the idea of protective sleeves, which I did order, and an attractive portfolio case. And maybe a few decent frames to hang on the walls, with photos that can be periodically swapped, as Brian also recommends.

Most of my prints are heavy, but that is quite a novel idea with metal paints and rare earth magnets.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

cortlander1
Like?
Re: Gallery clips
In reply to PicOne, Apr 7, 2013

PicOne wrote:

YOu could just get some gallery clips, some sheets of clear acrylic (17x22) and backing board.   Basically allows you to "frame" a print, without a frame.  The clips hold the 'glass', print and backer together.

Gallery Clips

FWIW, lightimpressions also has a decent selection of portfolio boxes also if you want to go that route

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

This is very interesting. So I could take the prints, wrap them in plastic bags and put these clips around them on a 1/4 inch board?

Thanks for pointing out lightimpressions' portfolio boxes - that is a good option as well.

-- hide signature --

cortlander

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads