Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
Louno
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Is it worth it to install playmemories ?
Apr 5, 2013

I just bought a NEX-3N and saw the "ad" when I plugged the camera...?

Sony Alpha NEX-3N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ahmad Alnusif
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?
In reply to Louno, Apr 5, 2013

Do you mean on your mobile or on your pc?

I installed it on my android mobile and found it very useful to transfer photos directly from the nex-6 to my mobile using wifi.

Ahmad Alnusif's gear list:Ahmad Alnusif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yezariael
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ahmad Alnusif, Apr 5, 2013

As far as I know the 3N has no wireless function, so I would say: No.

I have the NEX-6 and only installed the software from Sony because it's a must to get the pictures to my notebook over wireless directly from the camera...

Yezariael's gear list:Yezariael's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +7 more
wblink
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to Yezariael, Apr 5, 2013

Yezariael wrote:

I have the NEX-6 and only installed the software from Sony because it's a must to get the pictures to my notebook over wireless directly from the camera...

You don't use it with the app "Intelligent Remote" to take pictures through your Sony from your IPad or IPhone or Android?

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-6

wblink's gear list:wblink's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
In reply to wblink, Apr 5, 2013

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the computer app do something better than the mobile ones?

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Yezariael
Like?
In reply to pmow, Apr 5, 2013

pmow wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the computer app do something better than the mobile ones?

When once connected via USB to your computer and playmemories (only 1 time necessary to connect the cam and the computer) you are able to send the pictures on the cam over wireless directly to your computer (there's a menu "send to computer" on your camera settings in view mode). So I don't have to take the SD card out and put it into a reader. It's the only thing Playmemories is good for in my eyes

With the app on the camera you can use it as wireless trigger, it's something completely different.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +7 more
Ahmad Alnusif
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to wblink, Apr 5, 2013

wblink wrote:

Yezariael wrote:

You don't use it with the app "Intelligent Remote" to take pictures through your Sony from your IPad or IPhone or Android?

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-6

That's another reason to install the app if your camera supports this feature.

Ahmad Alnusif's gear list:Ahmad Alnusif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
erringtont
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to Yezariael, Apr 5, 2013

Yezariael wrote:

pmow wrote:

When once connected via USB to your computer and playmemories (only 1 time necessary to connect the cam and the computer) you are able to send the pictures on the cam over wireless directly to your computer (there's a menu "send to computer" on your camera settings in view mode). So I don't have to take the SD card out and put it into a reader. It's the only thing Playmemories is good for in my eyes

With the app on the camera you can use it as wireless trigger, it's something completely different.

Just be aware that the transfer is very, very slow and only into the Playmemories application. I tried it once transferring about 50 raw shots. It worked, but then you still need to import to LR or what ever other workflow environment you use. I'll continue to use my card reader.

erringtont's gear list:erringtont's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Sony a6000
Yezariael
Like?
In reply to erringtont, Apr 5, 2013

erringtont wrote:

Just be aware that the transfer is very, very slow and only into the Playmemories application. I tried it once transferring about 50 raw shots. It worked, but then you still need to import to LR or what ever other workflow environment you use. I'll continue to use my card reader.

Slow yes, but you can choose the folder where it shall be transferred to on your computer (so it's not only "in the application").... For occasional transfer it's fine, but not if you have 2 weeks of holiday pictures to download

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads