Merging Aperture libraries

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Questions
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?
Merging Aperture libraries
Apr 5, 2013

I use Aperture on  a MacMini, keeping the Aperture library on one external drive, with second drive for backup, and third drive running time machine. However when traveling I use a Macbook Air. After importing photos to the Air, I have been importing them a second time to my home system to keep in the "master" library.

Is there a way to merge the laptop library with my home library? I do some basic editing on the laptop....ie delete obvious errors and bad shots, may do some cropping, rate the photos etc. Would like to not have to redo the first edits.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
ANSWER:
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,148Gear list
Like?
Re: Merging Aperture libraries
In reply to Rmark, Apr 5, 2013

Yes. Copy the Air library to your mini system. Open your master library. Select File > Import > Library..., choose the Air library, and click Merge.

When I work away from home, I import new photos into a new library created specifically and only for that job/vacation/project and back up my laptop's data to a portable drive. Then, when I get home it's very easy to just connect the portable drive to my main system, open my master library, and import the new library.

Actually, I also keep each job-specific library in my archive in case my main library ever gets lost or hosed.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +32 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?

Edit: DPR seems screwed. re-arranged my paragraphs into random sequences an removed paragraph markers. Here's an edit inserting divisions to try to keep things in sequence.

As others have said, this feature is built into Aperture. It's very powerful and convenient, but it's best to have a little play first to really understand fully how it behaves, especially over time, in order to prevent accidental loss of your work. Here's an example:

Main Library (M):

• Project A
  • Project B

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D

When you return, you merge library P into library M. There is no conflict, the merge proceeds and you end up with:

Main Library (M):

• Project A
  • Project B
  • Project C
  • Project D

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D

You do some work on the main library before taking the portable library on the next trip, so when you leave it looks like this:

Main Library (M):

• Project A
  • Project B
  • Project C <- new edits 'X'
  • Project D <- new edits 'X'
  • Project E <- New

Portable Library (P):

• Project C <- Old (does not include 'X' edits)
  • Project D <- Old - ditto

Now if you only work on new stuff, when you come back your portable library looks like this:

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D <- new edits 'Y' but doesn't include main edits 'X'
  • Project F <- New

But if you also worked on you older stuff, it could look like this:

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D
  • Project F <-New

When you import your P library into your M library it will detect the potential conflict due to Project D edits 'X' in library M and Project D edits 'Y' in library P and it will ask you which library to use to resolve conflicts.

If your latest work (on images that already exist in M) is in P, you'll want to choose P as the source, but the danger is that any minor unintentional changes in P, have the ability to wipe out your deliberate edits in M.

So if you do adopt this workflow, it's worth maintaining some discipline about which files you edit where.

One approach could be to delete library P from your MBA once it's been merged in Library M, and create a new library for each trip to avoid the risk of conflicts.

Another approach is to export from you M library, any projects you may want to work on while you're away. You do this with 'Export project as new library'. That way you can work with up-to-date projects on your MBA, rather than the old copies that just happen to be on your MBA from the last trip.

I hope I didn't overcomplicate that!

One more thing. If you merge libraries and get the conflict warning, it's worth while re-starting Aperture once the merge is complete. I've noticed some odd behaviour (probably due to caches becoming out of date), but a re-start sorts it out. It's repeatable and I filed a bug report with Apple.

-Najinsky.

Rmark wrote:

I use Aperture on  a MacMini, keeping the Aperture library on one external drive, with second drive for backup, and third drive running time machine. However when traveling I use a Macbook Air. After importing photos to the Air, I have been importing them a second time to my home system to keep in the "master" library.

Is there a way to merge the laptop library with my home library? I do some basic editing on the laptop....ie delete obvious errors and bad shots, may do some cropping, rate the photos etc. Would like to not have to redo the first edits.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Still messed up:
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 5, 2013

Not sure if I messed up my attempt to fix it, or if DPR re-sequenced everything again but the following is still wrong:

Now if you only work on new stuff, when you come back your portable library looks like this:

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D <- new edits 'Y' but doesn't include main edits 'X'
  • Project F <- New

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D
  • Project F <-New

The lines in BOLD should read the other way around:

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D 
  • Project F <- New

Portable Library (P):

• Project C
  • Project D <- new edits 'Y' but doesn't include main edits 'X'
  • Project F <- New

This new DPR editor for making comments is so bug ridden. We really need a DPR forum for discussing DPR and it's issues. I've tried the feedback route a number of times, just seems like a void.

-Najinsky

Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?

Thanks everyone, this all looks pretty straight forward. Since the Air only has 128GB, I plan to delete that library after merging with the master. I sometimes travel 2 weeks at a time, shooting RAW, I burn up a lot of GB's pretty quick.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
RobBobW
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rmark, Apr 6, 2013

Rmark,

Please let us know if this works for you.  I have been doing this for years and recently have found problems.  I managed to resolve them with a slight variation on the process.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51147258

RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads