Is there anyone owning both of Fuji X20 or X10 and Canon G15 and which one is better?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Questions
coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?
Is there anyone owning both of Fuji X20 or X10 and Canon G15 and which one is better?
Apr 5, 2013

Can you tell which one is better and why if you own both of Fuji X20 or X10 and Canon G15 or G12?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Re: Is there anyone owning both of Fuji X20 or X10 and Canon G15 and which one is better?
In reply to coody, Apr 5, 2013

I had the X10 and sold it to get the X20 ... but ended up with the G15. The G15 has some advantages but also isn't quite as fast and the DR isn't as good as the X10. IQ wise the G15 is very good and poss better in low light/high ISOs and the lens is powered not manual. Video is better and it has a built-in ND filter and higher res LCD screen.    The X10 has a better viewfinder and a manual lens. The X10 is essentially a 6MP camera and the G15 a higher res 12MP camera - better for large prints. So they both have there pluses and minuses ... it depends on your needs as to which is better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,508
Like?
Re: Is there anyone owning both of Fuji X20 or X10 and Canon G15 and which one is better?
In reply to Photofreak7, Apr 5, 2013

Photofreak7 wrote:

I had the X10 and sold it to get the X20 ... but ended up with the G15. The G15 has some advantages but also isn't quite as fast and the DR isn't as good as the X10. IQ wise the G15 is very good and poss better in low light/high ISOs and the lens is powered not manual. Video is better and it has a built-in ND filter and higher res LCD screen.    The X10 has a better viewfinder and a manual lens. The X10 is essentially a 6MP camera and the G15 a higher res 12MP camera - better for large prints. So they both have there pluses and minuses ... it depends on your needs as to which is better.

The X10 is essentially a 6MP camera if you want to use all the EXR bells and whistles, or shoot in RAW. if you are happy to use full-resolution OOC jpegs, then it is a very good, conventional 12MP camera, with the great advantage of a decent viewfinder and a zoom function that is pleasant to use. Unlike most of its competitors.

-- hide signature --

tim

Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
In reply to timo, Apr 5, 2013

timo wrote:

Photofreak7 wrote:

The X10 is essentially a 6MP camera if you want to use all the EXR bells and whistles, or shoot in RAW. if you are happy to use full-resolution OOC jpegs, then it is a very good, conventional 12MP camera, with the great advantage of a decent viewfinder and a zoom function that is pleasant to use. Unlike most of its competitors.

If you don't want the DR or low light advantage of the EXR then sure you can shoot full 12MP ... but if you are going to do that then there are better cameras than the X10 out there.

-- hide signature --

tim

tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?

timo wrote:

Photofreak7 wrote:

If you don't want the DR or low light advantage of the EXR then sure you can shoot full 12MP ... but if you are going to do that then there are better cameras than the X10 out there.

-- hide signature --

tim

Name one? I guess the X20 come to your mind...

timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,508
Like?

Photofreak7 wrote:

timo wrote:

Photofreak7 wrote:

-- hide signature --

tim

Not with an optical viewfinder or excellent, fast zoom lens that you can operate manually, there aren't. Which one did you have in mind? Sure, for absolute quality I will continue to use my Pentax K5. But for lightweight trips and out-and-about general shooting, I have not yet encountered a better combination of features and performance than the X10, for all its quirks (which are many).

-- hide signature --

tim

Devvy
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
In reply to coody, Apr 5, 2013

I had them both (X10 and G15) for review for some time.

Initially I liked the X10 more because of the manual zoom lens and overall feel. To my surprise I ended up with the G15, for the following reasons:

- Video is not good on the X10, many jaggies and artifacts. That was the main dealbreaker for me.

- The G15 is smaller and pocketable

- The G15's lens has a longer reach, and is just a bit brighter. As far as I could measure, the lens of the G15 is also sharper.

- The G15's lens can focus much closer on all focal lengths.

That said, if video is of no importance for you, then the X10 should be taken seriously. It draws you a bit more into photography than the G15, which is more a snapshot type of camera. I liked to shoot with the X10 more than with the G15, but when reviewing the end results it was exactly the opposite

nradd
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to Devvy, Apr 5, 2013

i'm getting great shots with the x20 but only if you're willing to use RAW. it's not hard really. just need to get lightroom 4.4 which supports this model. it's super fast and fun (imho) to use. can't say about the video feature. haven't used it much.

also have the x10 which is a bit too quirky. it's good, nice feel. has great dr and i liked the look of the photos more than the rx100 i tested. if you look now or soon i suspect many x10's going for cheap if you look around.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads