Over/underexposure not shown in OM-D EVF??

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Over/underexposure not shown in OM-D EVF??
Apr 4, 2013

Just coming to grips with all the menu options on my OM-D EM-5, trying to test as much as possible during my 10 day return policy (it's a second hand camera body).
Thanks to all the posters on the various OM-D setup threads - really valuable information and tips.
However there's one problem I seem to be having, but maybe I've just got a setting wrong somewhere…

In M mode:
Changing shutter speed or aperture is reflected visually in both the LCD and the EVF.  The image becomes darker or lighter (Live Boost is turned off).
Also, the Exp.Comp. level meter indicates how many stops under/overexposure the current settings will give.

In S mode:
Changing shutter speed is NOT reflected visually in either the LCD or the EVF. I realize this is the normal way it functions from reading other threads.
Now, if the shutter speed is changed to the point that over or underexposure will occur (i.e. beyond the aperture's possible range), the aperture number will start blinking in the LCD, but NOT in the EVF.

Why does the aperture value not blink in the EVF?  This makes no sense to me at all.  Without this, there is no indication in the EVF of any under or overexposure.  Have I simply got a setting wrong somewhere?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  I only have a couple of days left on the store's exchange policy so need to know if there's a problem very soon!

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Over/underexposure not shown in OM-D EVF??
In reply to pavinder, Apr 4, 2013

pavinder wrote:

Just coming to grips with all the menu options on my OM-D EM-5, trying to test as much as possible during my 10 day return policy (it's a second hand camera body).
Thanks to all the posters on the various OM-D setup threads - really valuable information and tips.
However there's one problem I seem to be having, but maybe I've just got a setting wrong somewhere…

In M mode:
Changing shutter speed or aperture is reflected visually in both the LCD and the EVF.  The image becomes darker or lighter (Live Boost is turned off).
Also, the Exp.Comp. level meter indicates how many stops under/overexposure the current settings will give.

In S mode:
Changing shutter speed is NOT reflected visually in either the LCD or the EVF. I realize this is the normal way it functions from reading other threads.
Now, if the shutter speed is changed to the point that over or underexposure will occur (i.e. beyond the aperture's possible range), the aperture number will start blinking in the LCD, but NOT in the EVF.

Don't know what the problem might be. On mine, the f-number will start blinking in the EVF as well as on the LCD. This is true about all the EVF/LCD modes I am using (normal, highlight/shadows warning, level-gauge, zoom-frame).

Why does the aperture value not blink in the EVF?  This makes no sense to me at all.  Without this, there is no indication in the EVF of any under or overexposure.  Have I simply got a setting wrong somewhere?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  I only have a couple of days left on the store's exchange policy so need to know if there's a problem very soon!

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KenBalbari
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

Turn off live view boost.  In the display menu (menu D I think).

Note that the live view histogram is also worthless for determining exposure when the "boost" mode is on, as exposure chamges will also not be reflected in the histogram (it reads from the display).

KenBalbari's gear list:KenBalbari's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL2
cfh25
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Find the shadows/highlights screen is best for indicating under/over exposure

pavinder
Like?
In reply to cfh25, Apr 4, 2013

cfh25 wrote:

Find the shadows/highlights screen is best for indicating under/over exposure

I assume you mean the screen which shows blinking coloured areas - blue for underexposed, orange for overexposed. Yes, I can find this and I can find the Histogram, and I appreciate your recommendations.

But my concern is that there is actually a HARDWARE PROBLEM for which I should take it back for exchange.  The non-blinking aperture number in the EVF suggests to me there is a problem.

But it seems strange that it should flash in the LCD but not the EVF - after all, it's just a software function, which is why I wonder if it's caused by my settings.

I don't want to make a special trip to the store to exchange the camera, only to find out it's a setting in a menu.

pavinder
Like?
In reply to KenBalbari, Apr 4, 2013

KenBalbari wrote:

Turn off live view boost.  In the display menu (menu D I think).

As I said, Live Boost is switched off.

pavinder
Like?
In reply to pavinder, Apr 5, 2013

I took the camera back to the shop.

They tested it, said it seems problematic, but found that the all other OM-Ds at the shop did exactly the same thing when set in the same way.

We isolated it down to using Style 2 for the EVF.  With Style 1 and 3 the problem didn't occur.

However we then checked the firmware version and saw that it was still at 1.1.  An update to 1.6 solved the problem.

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,418Gear list
Like?
In reply to pavinder, Apr 5, 2013

pavinder wrote:

I took the camera back to the shop.

They tested it, said it seems problematic, but found that the all other OM-Ds at the shop did exactly the same thing when set in the same way.

Auto ISO? Often the "problem" is, auto ISO is adjusting as you are changing all the settings, keeping the exposure the same no matter what you do. No matter the exposure mode, be it manual, program, shutter speed or aperture priority, If you want to be seeing the changes to exposure settings in the EVF as you make them, you need to be setting your ISO manually.

Most of the time I am manually setting my ISO's, but every once & a while I will have it on auto ISO, make some exposure adjustments and get frustrated because nothing seems to be changing on the screen, then I realize I am in auto ISO and tha camera is adjusting the ISO settings as I make my adjustments. I change it manually to the ISO setting I want and, viola, the EVF starts showing the changes again.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads