Early GF6 review

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,868Gear list
Like?
Re: Early GF6 review
In reply to bryanbrun, Apr 4, 2013

bryanbrun wrote:

The GF3/5 was best received in Japan by women and those wanting a small simple camera.  Panasonic has decided they don't to service that market?

Maybe the ladies use their cellphones?

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to Geekapoo, Apr 4, 2013

Apparently Panasonic asked 43rumors to remove the images.  Good grief.  So somebody blew an embargo.  Who cares?  Also, nice to know 43rumors will do Pany's bidding when asked.  What use is a rumors site if it doesn't have some balls?

Google image cache to the rescue...

Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Apr 4, 2013

BingoCharlie wrote:

Apparently Panasonic asked 43rumors to remove the images.  Good grief.  So somebody blew an embargo.  Who cares?  Also, nice to know 43rumors will do Pany's bidding when asked.  What use is a rumors site if it doesn't have some balls?

Looks like the GF2 was probably the best out of the lot with the GF series. Tilting screen is handy but the bodies starting to look to thick and there is still no hot shoe.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Andre Bomhof
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,260
Like?

No latest generation sensor, flash hotshoe, provision for external EVF.

Olympus E-PM2 has all of these.

New 14-42mm II looks like a winner, though.

André

mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648Gear list
Like?

BingoCharlie wrote:

It was probably techradar that asked them to take down the images. Panasonic has no claim on those images because techradar took them. Those are copywritten images owned by techradar. The rumors site copied the images and was hosting them after techradar took them down on their site.

Technically google cash would be infringing on their copyright just as the rumors site was. However, it is a little harder to take on google over taking on the rumors site.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Apr 4, 2013

The most interesting fact about the GF6 is that it now has manual movie controls. I still doubt that it will have 24p though.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
dr_elis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
Re: Old sensor... tssss
In reply to bryanbrun, Apr 4, 2013

That´s the point. Sensor tech has made significant progress but Panasonic wants to play the better sensor as "high-end" feature.

DanCar
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to Mike Chinander, Apr 4, 2013

Wifi capability is interesting.  Looking forward to snapping family portraits remotely from phone remote.  Hopefully future versions will allow raw upload, full control from a web browser and come with Android O.S.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,524Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic to announce GF6 and G6 on April 9th
In reply to FrankS009, Apr 4, 2013

Image of G1.

Bothy new cameras expected NOT to have a new sensor.

http://m43blog.com/2013/04/01/panasonic-to-announce-gf6-and-g6-on-april-9th/

Panasonic to announce GF6 and G6 on April 9th

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Novecento
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Is it so hard for Olympus/Panasonic to make a Leica/Xpro1/X20 looking camera?????

kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,248Gear list
Like?
Google Cached version of the review
 kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +26 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,148
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Apr 4, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote:

The most interesting fact about the GF6 is that it now has manual movie controls.

If this is the case and assuming it also has 1080p60 then I may well be a customer.   But I didn't see it in the cached review - where did you come across this tidbit?

lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?

The GF6 will have to be competitively priced to compete with the NEX 3N.  It'll have to be priced very competitvely to compete with GX1.  Panasonic should never have let the GX1 price drop so low.  Now that it has, how can it price the lower range GF6 more or as much as the higher range GX1?

xi5
xi5
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 4, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

The most interesting fact about the GF6 is that it now has manual movie controls.

If this is the case and assuming it also has 1080p60 then I may well be a customer.   But I didn't see it in the cached review - where did you come across this tidbit?

A Google search shows some claims of manual controls in video mode with the GF6. If true, the GF6's 16MP sensor image may be very similar to the GH2 - although it couldn't be hacked (yet), wouldn't have an option for an EVF or mic input.

The bitrate also remains to be seen. Usually these camera have 17mbps (GH2 is 24mbps unhacked). Also would need to consider how accessible the manual controls are while shooting video.

Nonetheless, I also have my eye out for this - I'm using a GH2 atm and the larger/weight body is an issue. I might be willing to put up with a lack of EVF, depending on the other factors. There is also talk that the GX2 (Fall 2013?) may have more video controls.

jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Re: Google Cached version of the review
In reply to kenw, Apr 4, 2013

Thanks for that.

So it's a fat GX1 with Wifi and NFC.  I already have wifi in any camera that takes a SD card and I have no use for NFC.  Or fat for that matter (my DSLRs got back).  And it has a list price $200 over a NEX-3N without a power zoom.  Yeah ....

I guess it's ok for it's target market.  I'm a GF5 owner who wishes it drifted more towards the GX1 than towards this market.  I guess I'm stuck waiting for the GX2.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,524Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 image
In reply to jquagga, Apr 4, 2013

Any comment on G1?

I guess we'll find out more next Tuesday when Pana. makes the announcement.

http://m43blog.com/2013/04/01/panasonic-to-announce-gf6-and-g6-on-april-9th/

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

It looks like of thick, kind of like the Pentax MX-1 (in terms of thickness) because of the moveable LCD.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look quite as nice as the MX-1 in terms of materials/build quality.

I kind of wish Panasonic would get back to the GF1 style body with the GF series, but I suppose that's role has been filled by the GX1.

Speaking of which, if Panasonic would put the GH3 sensor in a GX2 style body, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  The GX1 sensor is a good performer, but the sensor in the GH3 is a next generation chip with considerably better DR.  But I am a fan of the rangefinder type body and Panasonic made a good one with the GX1.  If they upgraded the sensor and the LCD it would be a winner for sure.  If they slap the same GX1/G3 sensor in the GX2, it will not be nearly as interesting for me.

Thanks for the link.

Regards, and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Early GF6 review / It is not showing now.

Sorry! We can't find the page you're looking for.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
b534202
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: Google Cached version of the review
In reply to kenw, Apr 4, 2013
 b534202's gear list:b534202's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Apr 5, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

Vs. GX1 apparently no provision for EVF.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Or flash units.

The lack of a hotshoe is very disappointing.

One of the main points of a system camera, imo, is that it can expand your photography into the world of flash setups and viewfinders.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads