MS Word docs from PC to imac

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,410Gear list
Like?
MS Word docs from PC to imac
Apr 4, 2013

I have dropped some word files created on a pc in dropbox for access on a used but new to us mac.  In looking at these files in dropbox on the mac, they show as .rtf files.

Is this normal and what do I do to see them as word docs?  is there going to be an issue in going cross platforms?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,821
Like?
Re: MS Word docs from PC to imac
In reply to digitalshooter, Apr 4, 2013

no, not normal.  Dropbox or the Mac should see the file as a .doc if it was actually saved that way in the first place so doublecheck how you save the file in the PC/Win/Word world

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlevitt
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: MS Word docs from PC to imac

digitalshooter wrote:

I have dropped some word files created on a pc in dropbox for access on a used but new to us mac.  In looking at these files in dropbox on the mac, they show as .rtf files.

Is this normal and what do I do to see them as word docs?  is there going to be an issue in going cross platforms?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

Not even Microsoft Word software is 100% compatible moving from Windows to Mac [or back].

Mac OSX has file viewers / previewers that understand and can display Word documents. OSX TextEdit [similar to Windows WordPad] can open many Word documents as 'rich text', but will not provide a faithful representation. [e.g. page breaks are not preserved]

Other software options include Apple's Pages, frees software like LibreOffice [or OpenOffice, NeoOffice] or Google's online editor [Google Drive]. All of them support reading, writing and editing with a variable degree of fidelity [good enough for most practical purposes]

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Canon PowerShot A70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple Aperture +3 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,410Gear list
Like?
My bad but thanks

Appears that there were actually some legit RTF files, so my bad.

Sorry to take so long to get back, but DPOR is having issues today.

Thanks, all resolved!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads