Market Prices Over Time ?

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Questions
kinal493
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Market Prices Over Time ?
Apr 4, 2013

Hey everyone,

In summary I want to know how quickly the camera market changes over time, with respect to pricing and quality.

I'm planning a trip through Thailand for the end of August, so for the first time I'm looking into buying a camera. I don't know anything about the market, but I've seen a deal for a camera in my price range at about 50% of the normal retail price, so it's a bargain ! (and legit so don't worry about that).

However, if I buy the camera now I obviously won't be using it for another 5 months. Is this a long enough period to influence my decision to buy the camera now ?

If there is anyone on here with experience in the market that can give me an opinion that would be awesome thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
mobi1
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Re: Market Prices Over Time ?
In reply to kinal493, Apr 4, 2013

You didn't mention what sort of camera.

Price fluctuates all the time especially for point and shoot cameras.

If you get a DSLR at 50% of marked price, then grab it. 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?

Short answer yes, maybe. Depends when the next new model comes out and how much it pushes the IQ and features bar.

Longer: camera technolgy, especially bodies, have a much shorter life expectancy these days wrt price.  But it depends. Very high end like d4 or 1dx, 5 months is nothing, lower end, d3200 or t5i there may be a replacement medium concern, even lower tier, there IS a replacement that will be that cheaper and one generation newer.

Beside the fact you could save money or get a generation newer camera maybe, if you wait, there is another consideration. BTW I wish you would say what camera, and that it is manual controls, please. If it is manual controls and you haven't been using a camera recently then 5 months experience is invaluable. To know the camera well and be able to work it quickly and properly is worth more than 5mo depreciation, period, with a big trip upcoming.

I had one trip years ago  that haunts me not having had a manual controls camera with nice IQ. I had just a point and shoot... some images are still among my favorites, but they could have been so much more...

You would get a better answer with specific equipment mentioned.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

If this trip is important to you, you should give yourself enough time to become familiar with the basics of using a camera. The best camera in the world will not serve you well if you don't know how to use it. Please don't take that as a put-down, because it's true. Buy your camera well in advance of your trip. I would suggest you buy your camera soon, because you can't practice your skills with a camera you don't have.

Whatever you buy, whenever you buy, the next model is always just around the corner.

Good luck.

kinal493
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Apr 4, 2013

I appreciate the feedback 

I'ts just a simple point-and-shoot so I don't think I will be spending the next 5 months mastering it's intricacies ! Although I know even with a simple point-and-shoot I can learn a few things to improve the quality of my shots.

The camera is a Canon Powershot S100. It retails at about $500(NZ) but I can grab it now for $300. It's not so much this specific model that I am after, simply that this model is available at a good price and it seems to be a decent camera within this price range. Hence the reason I asked about the the market in general.

It seems like a great deal but I only just started looked in to buying a camera yesterday and I have a whole 5 months to find the best camera under $400.

I think deep down I would love to pick up a bargain Sony RX100, but that may not happen over the next 5 months. Looks like an awesome point-and-shoot !

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

kinal493 wrote:

I appreciate the feedback 

I'ts just a simple point-and-shoot so I don't think I will be spending the next 5 months mastering it's intricacies ! Although I know even with a simple point-and-shoot I can learn a few things to improve the quality of my shots.

The camera is a Canon Powershot S100. It retails at about $500(NZ) but I can grab it now for $300. It's not so much this specific model that I am after, simply that this model is available at a good price and it seems to be a decent camera within this price range. Hence the reason I asked about the the market in general.

It seems like a great deal but I only just started looked in to buying a camera yesterday and I have a whole 5 months to find the best camera under $400.

I think deep down I would love to pick up a bargain Sony RX100, but that may not happen over the next 5 months. Looks like an awesome point-and-shoot !

The S100 is a good camera - not the latest, but good nonetheless. Getting the best out of it will take some practice, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Shoot it in auto for a while, concentrating on pleasing composition/framing, and when you start to feel comfortable with that, progress onto program mode. In program, the camera still does most of the work for you, but you can experiment with more 'artistic' possibilities, and get some creative satisfaction from your photography.

Whichever camera you go for I wish you endless enjoyment with it.

headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?

The S100 is a nice pocketable camera but it's also known for some problems with the lens http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/02/canon-powershot-s100-product-advisory & if you have a 1 year warranty in NZ then you'll be 1/2 way through it before really testing the camera & putting some stress on it.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
kinal493
Like?
In reply to headfirst, Apr 6, 2013

headfirst wrote:

The S100 is a nice pocketable camera but it's also known for some problems with the lens http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/02/canon-powershot-s100-product-advisory & if you have a 1 year warranty in NZ then you'll be 1/2 way through it before really testing the camera & putting some stress on it.

I didn't realise this at all. In that case i'll have to think twice about buying this model. Thanks for the insight !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads