studio lights

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
imagethemomentstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
studio lights
Apr 3, 2013

hi just wondering if this is a good package to start out with or any better suggestion??

http://www.hypop.com.au/hypop-800w-digital-photography-flash-strobe-light-kit-with-bowens-mount.html

any advise would help

imagethemomentstudios's gear list:imagethemomentstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
Re: studio lights
In reply to imagethemomentstudios, Apr 4, 2013

imagethemomentstudios wrote:

hi just wondering if this is a good package to start out with or any better suggestion??

http://www.hypop.com.au/hypop-800w-digital-photography-flash-strobe-light-kit-with-bowens-mount.html

any advise would help

It is really difficult to recommend lights that are advertized as 800 watts, when flash lights are specified in joules (or watt-seconds Ws), and a 40 stop range is totally impossible.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
canonpro
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?

any advise would help

If your going to go with a Bowen mount system, save up a few dollars more and pick up an actual bownes strobe. (with the knockoffs with bowens mount youll have to take into account the repair aspect. Most shops will have you send it to the company itself for repairs, and considering most of the knockoffs are in china, you'd have to front the shipping to and from the builder. While name brands such as Elinchrom, Bowens, etc have shops within your country to repair the their strobes).

AU store examples. (also hit the manufacturers website for a complete list of authorized dealers).

Bowens Example: http://www.camerapro.com.au/bowens-gemini-400-400-studio-kit-australian-stock.html

Elinchrom Example: http://www.proworld.com.au/Lighting-STUDIO-FLASH/c1_13/p1739/ELINCHROM-D-LITE-RX-ONE-TO-GO-SET-WITH-STANDS/product_info.html

-- hide signature --

Take any advice given on a forum with a grain a salt. (that includes mine). Nobody is
perfect, though many claim to be.

imagethemomentstudios
Like?
In reply to canonpro, Apr 4, 2013

i cant afford atm for bowens strobes that are to this functionality. looking at spending not much more than these.

the elinchrome lights dlite series are supposed to be chinese lights anyway so i am thinking why spend more on these if the ones i am looking at do the same thing??

any help appreciated

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,060Gear list
Like?

Overall the specs for these lights look pretty good, but I still wouldn't recommend buying them.  Brand is unknown and you can't count on good service should anything go wrong.

The power of the lights in your link are 400 WS and the range is 5 stops divided up into 40 digital stops.  The power is fine but 5 stops is the minimum.

You can do better for that amount of money.  You can get pretty much an equivalent kit from Adorama with their Flashpoint house branded lights and Adorama has a very good reputation for quality and customer support.

A bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion for the quality and service from Paul C. Buff are the AlienBee lights.  Get a B800 light kit from PCB and add the umbrellas and carrying case from Adorama.

Paul C. Buff

The Adorama Flashpoint DG600 is a 300Ws (plenty of power for the studio) light with 6 stops of digital power control that sells for $199.95 each.

Adorama Flashpoint DG600 300 w/s Moonlight, Blue FP600DG

Add a pair of Interfit air cushioned light stands.

http://www.adorama.com/PALS105.html

Add a pair of umbrella brackets.

Adorama Umbrella Brackets

Add a 60" and a 40" umbrella.

Adorama 40" White Umbrella

Adorama 60" White Umbrella

And finally add a roller case for storage and transport.

Interfit Photographic INT437 All-in-One Nylon Roller Kit Bag

The total is about $675.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,081
Like?

[...]

the elinchrome lights dlite series are supposed to be chinese lights anyway so i am thinking why spend more on these if the ones i am looking at do the same thing??

Reason: Major manufacturers add significant quality control and sometimes additional refinements on parts and assembly to their Chinese-sourced strobes.  Support levels are much higher.

We saw similar things when Chinese knockoffs of Neumann microphones began to make their first appearance a dozen years ago.  The units sourced directly from China were undependable, with no two alike in some cases.  Major manufacturers established new lines of microphones sourced from China with significant enhancements in terms of quality control, consistency, reliability, and sometimes parts refinements.  Those additional measures were well worth the money.

Sailor Blue's suggestions are on the money.  The Adorama Flashpoints, if available to you there, are robust and dependable units at a good price.  The Einsteins are well engineered designs.

Beware of cheap softboxes (e.g., from China).  The diffusion fabric can have a nasty color cast that will not come out easily.

imagethemomentstudios
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 4, 2013

hi

the only problem with the flashpoint is the huge cost of delivery which is quite a bit

another thing is with the flashpoint you are locked to their accessories as they have a unique speedring

the paul c buff alienbee and the such have a poor mounting system where larger modifiers fall off and very inconstant colour shift

thanks for the advise. do u have any other suggestions?

imagethemomentstudios
Like?
In reply to Luke Kaven, Apr 4, 2013

hi

from what i am told is they are rebadged strobes that are multi people sell them under their own brand. the differance is the writing on the side. if going elinchrom have been told to get brxi or style rx lights and not waste money on entry level ones

thanks for the reply and if u can help me more that would be good

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 4, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

any advise would help

It is really difficult to recommend lights that are advertized as 800 watts, when flash lights are specified in joules (or watt-seconds Ws), and a 40 stop range is totally impossible.

The claim to be designed for easy use is fallacious. The power input socket is above the main controls and means the mains cord would hamper access to them the whole time the unit was in use...

... either that, or it has been photographed upside-down, which would not surprise me...("40 stops!")

Modelling lights are a bit feeble, too, at 100 watts only.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
=
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

imagethemomentstudios
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Apr 8, 2013
Sailor Blue
Like?
In reply to imagethemomentstudios, Apr 8, 2013

Okay, didn't know you were in Oz so let me modify my earlier advice.

Buy a brand of lights that is well know and accepted by professional photographers.  Bowens and Elinchrom have lower priced studio lights for amateurs as well as higher priced professional level equipment.  Buy their equipment or from PCB.

AlienBees prices are not as competitive outside the US but you should compare their prices with that for Bowens and Elinchrom.

Paul C Buff Australia The International Home Of Alien Bees, Cybersyncs, Whitelighting, Einsteins. Asia Pacific

If you insist on buying unknown brand cheap Chinese imported studio strobes you should expect to have problems and you darn well better get a very long time written guarantee for free repairs or replacement from the seller, and that seller better be a well established long time shop.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Canon EOS 7D +10 more
imagethemomentstudios
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 8, 2013

hi

thanks for advice.

are these ones any good??

http://www.bowensdirect.com.au/index.php/compact-flash/lighting-kits/gemini-400-kit.html

or

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/elinchrom-d-lite-rx-4-4-to-go-set

i don't like alien bee flash tried them while ago and they were not that good

thanks for all your help

Sailor Blue
Like?
In reply to imagethemomentstudios, Apr 9, 2013

hi

thanks for advice.

are these ones any good??

http://www.bowensdirect.com.au/index.php/compact-flash/lighting-kits/gemini-400-kit.html

or

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/elinchrom-d-lite-rx-4-4-to-go-set

My first thought is that I would chose the Bowens lights since I have heard a bit too much about poor service from Elinchrom lately. Unfortunately this kit has been discontinued.  It has been replaced by the Bownen's gemini 400RX kit with a built in RF system for remote power control and triggering.

The umbrellas with the Bowens kit are a good size but remember that you have less light control with stray light with umbrellas than with softboxes.  Changing to softboxes and adding RF triggers would increase the cost quite a bit.

Look for the new Bowen's gemini 400RX kit.  Here is the B&H link so you can see what is in the kit.

B&H - Bowen's gemini 400RX Kit

The Elinchrom kit does has a RF system which allows remote control of strobe power and triggering.  The  softboxes are nicer than umbrellas for stray light control but these are only big enough for head and shoulder shots.  You would need larger ones for even waist up shots let alone standing portraits.

I recommend softboxes over umbrellas unless you are money limited.  A nice choice for a main light softbox is one in the 3'x5' (90x150 cm) size range since it works horizontally for waist up or head shots of 1 to 3 people (5 if in 2 rows) and vertically for standing shots.  The fill light can have the same softbox, a 24" (66 cm) softbox, or an umbrella.

The bottom line is either system will probably do you fine so pick the one you like best.  You might try negotiating the price of lights plus different softboxes and/or umbrellas.

i don't like alien bee flash tried them while ago and they were not that good

I know ABs aren't perfect - you do get some small color shifts with time and power adjustments and you have to use about 1/160 sec shutter to properly sync. They are, however, very reliable work horses.

What was your problem with them?  Please elucidate to help others understand.

thanks for all your help

I'm just repaying all those who helped my by helping others.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7D +10 more
imagethemomentstudios
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 9, 2013

the alien bee lights are not that accurate in power control and the mounting speedring system cant hold larger softbox very well and are prone to fall off. prices are quite steep at $550 for a entry level 600ws strobe where a 400ws elinchrome is  under 400.

the bowens kit looks good. might have a look.

thanks for the help

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 9, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

I know ABs aren't perfect - you do get some small color shifts with time and power adjustments and you have to use about 1/160 sec shutter to properly sync. They are, however, very reliable work horses.

You have personal experience of their reliability?

Speaking as a past user:

Well they are rather primitive by any modern standard. And while the accessory mount may be more maligned than warranted, the Balcar mount is not great. The colour temperature may be no worse or better than any other voltage regulated light, but as with any slide control, it is prone to exaggerated error as it ages and carbon builds up on the contact. An analog slide with no read out, yes I too remember the 1980s.

They are compact, light weight, robust, and in the US, relatively inexpensive. But they have little going for them elsewhere in the world. Once you introduce a distributor and a retailer, and a parts chain going back through that track, they lose most of what makes them special - they are cheap because they are factory direct.

Brian A

RudivanS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,295Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 12, 2013

My bowens 400 kit cam with 250w modelling lights. Just sayin' ..

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Canon Pixma Pro-10
lamike
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to imagethemomentstudios, Apr 20, 2013

hi

the only problem with the flashpoint is the huge cost of delivery which is quite a bit

another thing is with the flashpoint you are locked to their accessories as they have a unique speedring

the paul c buff alienbee and the such have a poor mounting system where larger modifiers fall off and very inconstant colour shift

thanks for the advise. do u have any other suggestions?

We shoot 8 hours day, 6 days a week in our 4 studios and never really had inconstant color shift.  20 Alien Bees and 6 Einsteins is in our E commerce studios.   Also our huge x-large softboxes never fall off our Alien Bees.  

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads