Which lens in range 24...40 that works well against light.

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
Which lens in range 24...40 that works well against light.
Apr 3, 2013

Help me choose a lens!!!!

I found that too much my pictures were damaged by contra-light. Some lenses loose contrast, some had complex flares. I've had 16-85 that was able to make contrast photos against light, but sold it.

Now I shoot with D300s so DX or FX doesn't matter. Also it may be fix in range 28-40 mm.

I want to make pictures of this kind:

Help me!

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Re: Which lens in range 24...40 that works well against light.
In reply to krikman, Apr 3, 2013

Nikon 28 1.8g

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
krikman
Like?
In reply to Chad Gladstone, Apr 3, 2013

Chad Gladstone wrote:

Nikon 28 1.8g

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Nice shot, but can you post picture with flares from 28/1.8? How annoing they are?

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,963
Like?

The Nikon 28/1.8G is remarkably resistant to flare (this doesn't mean you can't get it to flare - you can get ANY lens to flare), probably moreso than any wide angle I've used in a while. Certainly and considerably more flare resistant than the new Sigma 35/1.4 for example.

The Nikon 24/1.4G is also pretty good, and while I sold my Nikon 35/1.4G since the Sigma is a touch sharper, the Nikon 35./1.4G is very flare resistant.

-m

Chad Gladstone
Like?

This is at 2.8 with the sun pointed directly at the camera.  I could not even see her to take the picture because I was blinded by the sun.  There is a slight loss of contrast, but nothing like the any other lens I have.  I will produce the phenomenon you are requesting, but I will have to wait for the sun to come down.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
krikman
Like?
In reply to Chad Gladstone, Apr 3, 2013

Thank you.

Actually I use Tamron 28-75 which is still good allaround lens with flare resistance.

But Tammy have color-shift inside (good for portrait because it warms skintones, but flattens reds and greens) so I miss clear and bright Nikkor colors.

Also I plan tu use AF-S 28G wide open for available light portraits and for product shots at home mini-studio. Good contra-light important here too.

Show please a little more samples of your photos with 28. How AF-S 28G performs in bad lighting or at night?

Chad Gladstone
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 4, 2013

krikman wrote:

Thank you.

Actually I use Tamron 28-75 which is still good allaround lens with flare resistance.

But Tammy have color-shift inside (good for portrait because it warms skintones, but flattens reds and greens) so I miss clear and bright Nikkor colors.

Also I plan tu use AF-S 28G wide open for available light portraits and for product shots at home mini-studio. Good contra-light important here too.

Show please a little more samples of your photos with 28. How AF-S 28G performs in bad lighting or at night?

Sorry, it will have to wait until tomorrow.  I was a the Utah Jazz game with just the 85 1.8g tonight.  I can say that the 28 is unrivaled at this FL in anything near the price range, though.  This sigma 35 is really good as well, just not as good for what I have seen for shooting into the sun,  (It is next on my list to purchase).

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

krikman
Like?
In reply to Chad Gladstone, Apr 4, 2013

Thanks again.

I spend few hours on www.lenstip.com.

These are good reviewers and just every lens in their tests got troubles in contra light.

http://www.lenstip.com/346.9-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_28_mm_f_1.8G_Ghosting_and_flares.html

Interestingly even pricey monsters with nanocoating flares almost a chip ones.

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,173
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 4, 2013
Help me!

Test the Nikon 50mm F/1.8D.

Worst case Example from my WalimeX pro 35mm F/1.4 = Samyang:

Regards: Carsten

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Apr 4, 2013

The best anti-flare insurance with any lens is to find a pole, tree, etc., that will cast a shadow on the front of the lens.   100% directly into the light this is of no help though.

krikman
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Apr 4, 2013

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

Help me!

Test the Nikon 50mm F/1.8D.

Worst case Example from my WalimeX pro 35mm F/1.4 = Samyang:

Nikkor 50 AF-D too long.

Samyang lacks autofocus and too big and heavy for casual shooting  = When beatiful light arises at evening before sunset or after storm - possible I don't take thit lens and leave it at home.

Anyway interesting feature. I don't even mention before where to buy samyangs.

krikman
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, Apr 4, 2013

Ernie Misner wrote:

The best anti-flare insurance with any lens is to find a pole, tree, etc., that will cast a shadow on the front of the lens.   100% directly into the light this is of no help though.

Sadly you cannot hide in the rabbit's hole and still photographing the world.

One of ruined by flares photo:

Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 5, 2013

Simple... Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8. Did some full body portraits last weekend in contra-light and was very pleased with the rendering and found no traces of flare or ghosting.

From my experience with this lens, it only produces nasty blue rays that cover the entire frame when you shoot foliage against the sun, in I can't replicate easily. But I'm sure no zoom lens would survive that test, only my primes did better.

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
krikman
Like?
In reply to Jose Rocha, Apr 5, 2013

Jose Rocha wrote:

Simple... Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8. Did some full body portraits last weekend in contra-light and was very pleased with the rendering and found no traces of flare or ghosting.

From my experience with this lens, it only produces nasty blue rays that cover the entire frame when you shoot foliage against the sun, in I can't replicate easily. But I'm sure no zoom lens would survive that test, only my primes did better.

-- hide signature --

From my experience Nikkor 24-70 won't loose contrast and have great color reproduction (as 16-85 did). But both zooms flares against multiple light sources as in night sample before.

krikman
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 5, 2013

While looking for samples and reviews of AF-S 28 f/1.8, I like this lens more and more...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads