Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,337
Like?
Re: What's so special (if anything)?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Apr 4, 2013

Sunshine_boy wrote:

alroot wrote:

Some pics of my last trip. All jpeg and A mode (some in Sr+)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84015432@N05/sets/72157633148640894/

Nice and interesting content but I honestly cannot see anything in them to justify the $600 price tag. I believe the same or better IQ can be achieved with cams of $400 or less eg G12/15, P7100/7700, LX5/7.

What is the wow factor or element of these images (always technically speaking) that makes the X20 so special worth 50% or more of the other models, including the X10?

Thanks for taking the trouble to post and show people real life samples of the new cam.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

So, lets say the IQ was identical to the other cameras that would mean you would ascribe no value to the much more usable viewfinder (or just plain it has a viewfinder), on lens zoom, very good UI.

If none of things are of value to you, then you are right why bother paying for them and look elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,559Gear list
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Apr 4, 2013

TEBnewyork wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

alroot wrote:

Some pics of my last trip. All jpeg and A mode (some in Sr+)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84015432@N05/sets/72157633148640894/

Nice and interesting content but I honestly cannot see anything in them to justify the $600 price tag. I believe the same or better IQ can be achieved with cams of $400 or less eg G12/15, P7100/7700, LX5/7.

What is the wow factor or element of these images (always technically speaking) that makes the X20 so special worth 50% or more of the other models, including the X10?

Thanks for taking the trouble to post and show people real life samples of the new cam.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

So, lets say the IQ was identical to the other cameras that would mean you would ascribe no value to the much more usable viewfinder (or just plain it has a viewfinder), on lens zoom, very good UI.

If none of things are of value to you, then you are right why bother paying for them and look elsewhere.

Of course I ascribe some value to the features you mentioned. If the X20 IQ proves at least as good as the rest then it would be purely a matter of the value one places on the 'extras'. $200 or 50% more seems excessive to me but it may be peanuts to somebody else depending on how he/she values those extras. But let's first establish beyond doubt that the IQ is up to scratch. Let's wait and see direct comparisons of its jpegs and raws versus some of the other high end compacts.

If anybody has the X20 and one of the other compacts, please chime in with comments and actual images. I'm sure many will appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 +1 more
AndyPerry
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Some pics with the Fuji X20 in London
In reply to alroot, Apr 4, 2013

I have a few pics uploaded here http://500px.com/aperry1958 your welcome to take a look, I'm still playing around with settings at the moment and also not an expert but I like using the camera it makes me want to take pictures.

AndyPerry's gear list:AndyPerry's gear list
Canon SX220 HS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nukunukoo, Apr 4, 2013

Nukunukoo wrote:

While I do agree that it probably lacks the "wow" factor. They do show the general tonal and DR characteristics you would expect from a higher-end camera. As an LX7 owner, what I can tell you is what is not shown in these pictures, and that is the ability of the camera to resolve details in the shadows better than the cameras you mention (not sure on the P7700 nor the G15 since I have not had any experience with that particular model, but my argument my still be valid with those.).

But X20 with its XTrans sensor is really good in resolving details in the shadows!

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,683Gear list
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, Apr 4, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

While I do agree that it probably lacks the "wow" factor. They do show the general tonal and DR characteristics you would expect from a higher-end camera. As an LX7 owner, what I can tell you is what is not shown in these pictures, and that is the ability of the camera to resolve details in the shadows better than the cameras you mention (not sure on the P7700 nor the G15 since I have not had any experience with that particular model, but my argument my still be valid with those.).

But X20 with its XTrans sensor is really good in resolving details in the shadows!

And where are the shadows in these blazing sunshine photos???

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Like?
In reply to DS21, Apr 5, 2013

DS21 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

oh you should see that fountain in Pasadena City Hall.  I work nearby and check every camera I go through (and I've gone through a lot) and in midday sun, many cameras leave that area just black.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to alroot, Apr 5, 2013

I have been using an X10 for my recent travels and have taken some lovely shots with it - few up on my Flickr page - have a looksee. I know its not an X20 but the point I am about to make is this...there may be other small cameras that take pictures that are theoretically as good, but I do not believe there is a single other camera of this size that is as satisfying to shoot with.

Its just a pleasure to handle and use, and that makes a difference. I have picked them all up and tried them and convinced I made the right choice. Not 100% convinced about the EXR sensor and nor it would seem is Fuji as its now been dropped, so I am sure I will trade mine for an X20 at some point. But as an instrument that one enjoys taking photos with - its worth the premium. It has quirks, and I dont mind.

Canon is a Toyota, reliable and okay, built down to a margin. Fujifilm is an Alfa Romeo. A bit more expensive, a bit odd but very stylish and satisfying to use.

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,559Gear list
Like?
In reply to AndyPerry, Apr 5, 2013

AndyPerry wrote:

I have a few pics uploaded here http://500px.com/aperry1958 your welcome to take a look, I'm still playing around with settings at the moment and also not an expert but I like using the camera it makes me want to take pictures.

I had a look and the one I liked most is your yellow rose. Beautiful!... And funnily enough it is the blurriest image of the lot... LOL 

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 +1 more
timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,502
Like?
In reply to AndyPerry, Apr 5, 2013

AndyPerry wrote:

Hi Andy - point-scoring time: in your captions, shouldn't 'High Street' be 'Downing Street'? Lovely to sit here in Singapore and stumble across pics of the town I was born and brought up in!  Somewhere I have loads of slides of Church Lane taken in the 1960s!

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

tim
www.pbase.com/timotheus

AndyPerry
Like?
In reply to timo, Apr 5, 2013

timo wrote:

AndyPerry wrote:

Hi Andy - point-scoring time: in your captions, shouldn't 'High Street' be 'Downing Street'? Lovely to sit here in Singapore and stumble across pics of the town I was born and brought up in!  Somewhere I have loads of slides of Church Lane taken in the 1960s!

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

tim
www.pbase.com/timotheus

Hello Tim

Your right it should be Downing Street as my wife pointed out also, I always trundle around there with a new camera must have hundreds of pictures around Farnham.

Andy

AndyPerry
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Apr 5, 2013

Sunshine_boy wrote:

AndyPerry wrote:

I had a look and the one I liked most is your yellow rose. Beautiful!... And funnily enough it is the blurriest image of the lot... LOL 

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Ha Ha yes indeed, but i like to think i did it on purpose

Andy

Nukunukoo
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
In reply to DS21, Apr 6, 2013

DS21 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

Honestly, that's your reply? As an actual user, do you think I was referring only to those photos? I respectfully ask that you put more wider relevance, instead of hand picking examples... much appreciated.

FYI, shadows occur in almost all photographs even with the pictures above. Some clientele would ask to raise the dark (shadow) areas to boost the details and textures underneath for printing. The real problem is that with many non-DSLRs, this would be a problem, where every type of noise lurks!

Even the light dodged areas in the above pictures contain shadows that could be raised to show more of the details. This does not necessarily decrease the overall contrast of the scene but again can be useful for many applications such as conversion to black and white, vectorization or printing.

Nukunukoo's gear list:Nukunukoo's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,158
Like?
In reply to Lauterwasser, Apr 6, 2013

Lauterwasser wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

If you're the type of person who's only concern is the final output (nothing wrong with that btw) then yes... the X20 is probably not worth the premium price tag.

Up to this point (and I have no vested interest either way) I've seen some X20 shots that were really good, and have had a positive impression of it. But I have to say, I don't know if it was user error or a bad copy of the camera or tough lighting circumstances, but this set really leaves me cold. Focus is bad, white balance all over the place, generally underexposed, just disappointing.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,683Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nukunukoo, Apr 6, 2013

Nukunukoo wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

Honestly, that's your reply? As an actual user, do you think I was referring only to those photos? I respectfully ask that you put more wider relevance, instead of hand picking examples... much appreciated.

FYI, shadows occur in almost all photographs even with the pictures above. Some clientele would ask to raise the dark (shadow) areas to boost the details and textures underneath for printing. The real problem is that with many non-DSLRs, this would be a problem, where every type of noise lurks!

Even the light dodged areas in the above pictures contain shadows that could be raised to show more of the details. This does not necessarily decrease the overall contrast of the scene but again can be useful for many applications such as conversion to black and white, vectorization or printing.

It's really irrelevant here what you were referring to, I asked the original poster of the images where are the shadows that show that great X-Trans shadow detail capacity in his examples. I respectfully ask you to pay attention to whom you are replying, it's not that hard.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Nukunukoo
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
In reply to DS21, Apr 6, 2013

DS21 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

It's really irrelevant here what you were referring to, I asked the original poster of the images where are the shadows that show that great X-Trans shadow detail capacity in his examples. I respectfully ask you to pay attention to whom you are replying, it's not that hard.

Noted. My bad. But my shadow explanation still IS relevant.

Nukunukoo's gear list:Nukunukoo's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads