Anyone jump ship to the D7100 yet?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
Searching
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,069Gear list
Like?
Anyone jump ship to the D7100 yet?
Apr 3, 2013

Just curious if anyone bought one and what they think of it?

Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
If they did...
In reply to Searching, Apr 3, 2013

Why would they still be in this forum?  If they're trying to validate themselves by getting others to agree with their decision then do you really want to follow the example of such a sad person lacking all self-confidence and completely incapable of self-validation?

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,737
Like?
No...

Searching wrote:

Too much invested in my Canon system...the Nikon might be nice, but it's not worth taking a bath on all the gear I'd have to sell & repurchase.

Mark

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,999
Like?
I'm thinking of it

I have a T1i now.

The advantage of the 7100 over most other choices is the price compared with the number of focus spots, all realted to photographing running dogs.

And I have apparently convinced myself that the 7D is too old to buy, regardless of how good it is.

BAK

lightform
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm thinking of it
In reply to BAK, Apr 3, 2013

Nope, switching from my 7D to a D7100 isn't even on my radar screen. I would think finding D7100 users would be easier on the Nikon forums, but given the nature of things, there may be more Nikon users here than Canon shooters.

lightform's gear list:lightform's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D
lee mason
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Anyone jump ship to the D7100 yet?

why, Nikon has nothing that canon does not have. other than a split screan for manual focus  im set

inlawbiker
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?

If you're thinking of jumping I would wait.  There's more to it than the sensor.  But I would have a hard time buying a new 60D or 7D now.  Wait to see what they come up with, you'd just be jumping into the other nonsense that Nikon brings to the table.  Do you want to pay $1400 for a 70-200 f/4 + $200 for the collar?  Um, no.

The 6D is a winner no matter what the spec sheets say, I think the mid-range cams will be too.  But if the 70D & 7Dii have the same old sensor then Canon will be practically surrendering to Nikon.

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,248Gear list
Like?

SPLASH!

Oh dear missed

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +16 more
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,264Gear list
Like?
In reply to Searching, Apr 4, 2013

Searching wrote:

This is the wrong forum for talking about the Nikon D7100.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 7D HTC One
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?

Searching wrote:

Looking in the Nikon Pro DX forum, some have tried it and like it, but I think most would prefer that sensor in a D300 body (D400) with larger buffer and more fps. That sensor in a 7D body (7DII) with larger buffer and more fps would be good. I will wait for 7DII. Or D400 if Canon delays too long.

Dan

Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990
Like?
yeah I just ditched 10+k in lenses and my 7D

to pick up inferior Nikon glass and an inferior camera.

Just kidding. You would have to be near brain dead to do this.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 400D
Sigma 24-70 HF
Canon 50 f1.8

andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?

You know what, I really like the sound of the 7100 and think that Nikon have been bringing out some really good bodies lately.

Like a few of the others here, I've got a bit of cash invested in Canon hardware so jumping ship would be a big old hassle.

Here's hoping this fine example of photographic technology will encourage Canon to develop stronger products as well.

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +1 more
Damoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?

If Nikon has better QC, then probably we would have seen many jumping to Nikon. The D600's lubricant spilling issue, D800's left focus issue are serious enough to consider before jumping. Professionals might have back up bodies but serious amateurs and amateurs might have one body. When there's oil & incorrect left focus on your camera, you would not think of DR or HIgh megapixel. You would just have heartburns that the nice specifications of the camera are worthless when some irritating issues prevail.

If you check Nikon forum, few guys are mentioning about a possible 'left focus' issue in D7100.

Canon 6D may not have great specifications. But in terms of image quality it seems to be a winner. And it does not spill oil on sensor or does not have focussing issues. I would be happy to compromise on DR & higher megapixels for a camera that performs well.

I hope Nikon improves its QC and the bodies perform without major irritations. In such a case, its worth to switch if Canon does not improve its sensor.

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,976
Like?
Re: I'm thinking of it
In reply to BAK, Apr 4, 2013

BAK wrote:

I have a T1i now.

The advantage of the 7100 over most other choices is the price compared with the number of focus spots, all realted to photographing running dogs.

Then you better take a second look and look beyond the pure numbers - that oh so praised AF system in the F7100 only has cross type sensors in the middle and is known not to be the fastest when used in 3D tracking mode... So the 7D is by far the better specced camera.

And I have apparently convinced myself that the 7D is too old to buy, regardless of how good it is

So you rather buy a new but mediocre camera than an tried and tested model which is still more advanced than the new one...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

EJ Fudd
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
HERE WE GO AGAIN...

My same thread from a week ago

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51131428

Inside of 6 hours must of had 80 posts many negitive (pardon the pun)

Photography, It ain't the same old Art form it used to be..

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +1 more
MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,982Gear list
Like?
The grass isn't as green as you think
In reply to Searching, Apr 5, 2013

Searching wrote:

Change is good. You go first.

Spend time in the Nikon forum and you'll soon realize it isn't without warts. I'm on the fence waiting to see what Canon comes up with when the 7D Mark II is released.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
wildplaces
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Apr 5, 2013

Hope you're wearing a PFD!;>))

Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
Grass isn't greener, but the Nikon can record it properly

I've complained endlessly about Canon dSLR's, especially the 7D and 60D having terrible color accuracy compared to Nikon counterparts. Even the 7100 does a better job. Any mention of Dx0Mark here is like a critic on Rotten Tomatoes daring to bad mouth a Batman movie. Dx0 is right...7D fans are simply irrational.

For scenic or commercial work both the 7D and the 60D blow strong colors, and are too much of an annoyance to bother profiling. Friends who shoot Nikon for commercial work don't laugh at me, they pity me. However, no matter what criticism is aimed at Canon for having some pretty weak sensor performance the brand is defended here with near fanatical delusion. I'll post an example from Dpreview's own comparisons of the 7D -vs- a 7100.

Gee, why is the 7D turning the strong red in the ball too utter sludge like a 1995 consumer print film?  Why even bother using a RAW / AdobeRGB workflow when the red channel is dumping blown garbage. The 60D is actually better....but not too much better. All of the recent consumer end Nikons I've tried do a substantially better job with color accuracy, especially with high gamut warm colors. Strong reds and megentas are a joke. Go to digital imaging resource or any other site. Watch the 7100 destroy the 7D when it comes to orange or red fabrics. You can only imagine what it's doing to fleshtones, but if you're a wedding or portait shooter who needs a crutch stay with Canon to warm skin tones for you. Curious what our mod here or Carl G will invent to defend this.

Oh wait, I forgot. Canon users don't care about such things. Kind of like my 60D not being able to record blue right with Canon DPP. Why is the 7D called a professional camera again? Oh yeah, because it has fast AF and Canon users say it is.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,743
Like?
In reply to inlawbiker, Apr 5, 2013

inlawbiker wrote:

Do you want to pay $1400 for a 70-200 f/4 + $200 for the collar?  Um, no.

Nikon's 70-200 f/4 VR is newer and resolves a bit more than Canon's.  Canon's lens lists for $1350 and the tripod collar is extra, $135 I think.

Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,147Gear list
Like?

When I saw the specs of the 7100 I admit I was a but surprised.  The 7D stacks up favorably to it with the exception of low ISO DR.  I would have thought that Nikon would have made the 7D killer by now, but they just haven't.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads