Is Jeff Schewe's Book" The Negative" worth purchasing???

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
Buzzzman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,719
Like?
Is Jeff Schewe's Book" The Negative" worth purchasing???
Apr 3, 2013

I have  Jeff Schewe's (and Bruce Fraser's) " Real world  ACR Adobe Photoshop CS4 " and Martin Evenings "Lightroom 4 for Photographers", ( both great sources) so I am pretty well versed with  Editing raw files.  In your opinion- Is the "The Negative" worth purchasing   given what I already have????

Thanks

Buzz

Bill1000Evening
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: Is Jeff Schewe's Book" The Negative" worth purchasing???
In reply to Buzzzman, Apr 3, 2013

I think you are refering to the book, "The Digital Negative".  I have that book plus Martin Evening's Lr book plus some others.  I'm about half-way thru Jeff's book.  The early part of the book has a lot of technical details and history that I find interesting.  The stuff I'm reading now is a lot more technique - and it's pretty high-level in my opinion.  My take is that I have a long way to go to get to the point where his book is going to improve my Lr technique a whole bunch.  Bottom line - This should not be the first book for a Lr novice.  Martin Evening's book is a lot more useful to me for my skill level. That said, I'm glad I bought Jeff's book.

Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
In reply to Bill1000Evening, Apr 3, 2013

Bill1000Evening wrote:

I think you are refering to the book, "The Digital Negative".  I have that book plus Martin Evening's Lr book plus some others.  I'm about half-way thru Jeff's book.  The early part of the book has a lot of technical details and history that I find interesting.  The stuff I'm reading now is a lot more technique - and it's pretty high-level in my opinion.  My take is that I have a long way to go to get to the point where his book is going to improve my Lr technique a whole bunch.  Bottom line - This should not be the first book for a Lr novice.  Martin Evening's book is a lot more useful to me for my skill level. That said, I'm glad I bought Jeff's book.

I agree with this assessment.  Jeff's book is great for delving deeper into the develop module and taking your raw developing to a higher level, but Martin Evening's book is probably a better place to start.

Ken Seals
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill1000Evening, Apr 4, 2013

I see many positive comments about it on other forums.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
Mizzou PJ '66

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D810
luigibozi
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to Buzzzman, Apr 7, 2013

Buzzzman wrote:

I have  Jeff Schewe's (and Bruce Fraser's) " Real world  ACR Adobe Photoshop CS4 " and Martin Evenings "Lightroom 4 for Photographers", ( both great sources) so I am pretty well versed with  Editing raw files.  In your opinion- Is the "The Negative" worth purchasing   given what I already have????

Thanks

Buzz

Yes, it is worth purchasing.

Well, at p280 there's a nice shot

Jeff Schewe
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
In reply to Buzzzman, Apr 7, 2013

Martin's book is excellent and highly recommended...although Martin must cover everything inside of Lightroom so he doesn't have the chance to drill down on just the raw processing aspects that I do in my book.

As far as the CS4 version of the Real World Camera Raw, the raw processing has changed considerably since that book came out. While the "basics" are still similar, the actual controls are considerably different–which Martin covers BTW.

The thing I try to do in The Digital Neg is to concentrate on raw image processing and optimizing in ACR/LR and Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

Buzzzman
Like?
In reply to luigibozi, Apr 8, 2013

Thanks for responding, evertyone  but no one mentioned if  it was worth purchasing, being  as I have his book on CS4. ACR(which is quite thourough )I am  pretty sure it is a good read-  but is there  much more info than   the CS4 book.

Buzz

Jeff Schewe
Like?
In reply to Buzzzman, Apr 11, 2013

Buzzzman wrote:

ACR(which is quite thourough )I am  pretty sure it is a good read-  but is there  much more info than   the CS4 book.

Buzz, I guess you missed the post I made just after yours...yes, I would say if you are still working with ACR 5.7 in CS4 you might not get much out of my new book. But if you are working with ACR 7.x or Lightroom 4.x, then yes, you'll get a lot out of the new book because the the processing in ACR 7.x & LR 4.x is really, really different. And the whole book is dedicated to raw processing in ACR/LR and photoshop.

ACR 7.x and LR 4.x is a major paradigm change...and the new book covers that extensively.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

Buzzzman
Like?
Jeff Schewe...
In reply to Jeff Schewe, Apr 11, 2013

First of all, thanks for replying to my thread. It's not often to get information straight from the

horse's   mouth!!!    Actually, I have your ACR  books   on CS 2 and CS4.    I have been using Photoshop for 18 years, and  your books on ACR were instrumental  in taking  my use of  ACR   to the next level.   I  tell my Photoshop students   " Read  one of his books on ACR and" you will be an expert on ACR, and know more   about it than 95% of  Photoshop users out  there.

I am using CS 6, and Lightroom 4 -- so  looks like I will  purchase it.  Too bad there isn't such a thing as a book upgrade,  when purchasing  books....lol)

Right now I am concentrating on  Katrin Eisman's  2nd book on "Masking and Compositing'  (another excellent read)  When completed, your book is next....

Thanks again for responding,  and by the way- --Thanks for  writing  such  informative books.....

Buzz

Jeff Schewe
Like?
Re: Jeff Schewe...
In reply to Buzzzman, Apr 12, 2013

Thanks for your kind words...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to Jeff Schewe, Apr 12, 2013

Jeff,

I just looked up your book on amazon and there is no "search inside" feature enabled.  Can you post the table of contents?  Thanks!

Nevermind. Amazon doesn't call it search inside anymore.  I found it.

luigibozi
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Apr 13, 2013

gwlaw99 wrote:

Jeff,

I just looked up your book on amazon and there is no "search inside" feature enabled.  Can you post the table of contents?  Thanks!

Nevermind. Amazon doesn't call it search inside anymore.  I found it.

You can find more on my post:

http://luigibozianu.blogspot.ca/2013/02/adobe-photoshop-csx-for-photographers.html

See the links from the last two paragraphs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads