It arrives on Friday!

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
CallMeAlan
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
It arrives on Friday!
Apr 3, 2013

After much humming and hahing, I've just ordered the top Macbook Pro, the 15" 2.7 GHz Retina, a companion for my 27" iMac.

Can't wait to give Lightroom a whirl on it with my two Sony cameras, the A77 and the RX100, and I'm fully expecting to be blown away by that gorgeous retina display!

Alan

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?
Re: It arrives on Friday!
In reply to CallMeAlan, Apr 3, 2013

You've started a discussion thread about a computer you've ordered but don't have yet.

Thanks, it was very insightful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CallMeAlan
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, Apr 3, 2013

Jen Yates wrote:

You've started a discussion thread about a computer you've ordered but don't have yet.

As elderly-spinsterishly bitter and unpleasant as most of your posts, I see.

Yes, I started it, but you've continued it, very insightfully.  I can picture you just hanging around here, repeatedly clicking refresh, ready to pounce on people who upset you or you feel are beneath you; if you took the trouble to look at any of the other forums they're full of people excitedly reporting that they've just ordered something and are awaiting its delivery.

If you found my post so upsetting why did you trouble to reply, other than through boredom?  I imagine you're just lonely. Get a pet.  Rats are fun.

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Kevin G.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889
Like?
In reply to CallMeAlan, Apr 5, 2013

Alan - good luck and I'd be interested how you find your new Macbook Pro.  The retina display looks fantastic.  I am planning to get one as well, although I'll probbaly pick it up at the store.  I also have an older iMac - 24".  I've maxed it out at 3 gb of ram and I'm limited now with the OS.

Regards.

Kevin

-- hide signature --
CallMeAlan
Like?
In reply to Kevin G., Apr 5, 2013

Kevin, it arrived this morning.  It's absolutely fantastic. Much faster, by factors of 2 to 8 depending on the activity, than my iMac 27".  It's really uncanny hearing no disk spinning! The screen is unbelievably detailed and clear and spectacular with Lightroom and my A77 and RX100 RAWs.  I installed FCPX a few minutes ago and early impressions are that just simple title rendering is lightning quick compared to what I've been used to. Looking forward to trying it out with some actual footage.

I'm certain you'll notice an enormous improvement in performance over your 3Gb 24". Good luck, do get one.

Alan.

Doug Mac
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
In reply to CallMeAlan, Apr 5, 2013

:-)You will hate it, retina display makes ordinary snapshots look like masterpieces!

Bill Heiser
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
In reply to CallMeAlan, Apr 6, 2013

CallMeAlan wrote:

After much humming and hahing, I've just ordered the top Macbook Pro, the 15" 2.7 GHz Retina, a companion for my 27" iMac.

Hi - No bitter reply here, more like "green with envy" :-D.

I'm still in the "humming and hahing" stage myself ... getting impatient waiting for a Mac Pro, if and when one with current tech will ever be released ... so considering a Macbook Pro or iMac in the interim.  I have a 2.5 i5 2011 Mini, originally planned as an "experiment", and getting anxious wanting to move to a more powerful machine more comparable to my typical home-built PC.

I've seen other discussions here and elsewhere with people suggesting there were "issues" with the Retina MBP and the non-retina model is a safer bet.  But I know there was a recent speed bump (which I would suppose also included other "fixes").

So it seems like a conundrum.  Anyway enjoy your new machine :).

Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,730
Like?
In reply to Bill Heiser, Apr 8, 2013

I have had one from near the start of the model introduction, I have had no issues at all other than one operator error problem when using the migration assistant, a quick visit to the Apple store and all was well, everything about the machine is perfect for my needs, a great screen to work with a SSD, Thunderbolt and USB3 connections make for a very rapid machine, with the soldered in RAM give careful consideration as to how much you specify, I opted for 16Gb as the raw files coming from cameras seem to increase in size with every new model introduction.

AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, Apr 9, 2013

Jen Yates wrote:

Clear, concise, and utterly unnecessary.

Thanks, that WAS very insightful!

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, Apr 9, 2013

Jen Yates wrote:

Hiw do you know he's an Old Fart?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Nikko aus London
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to CallMeAlan, Apr 9, 2013

CallMeAlan wrote:

Jen Yates wrote:

As elderly-spinsterishly bitter and unpleasant as most of your posts, I see.

Yes, I started it, but you've continued it, very insightfully.  I can picture you just hanging around here, repeatedly clicking refresh, ready to pounce on people who upset you or you feel are beneath you; if you took the trouble to look at any of the other forums they're full of people excitedly reporting that they've just ordered something and are awaiting its delivery.

If you found my post so upsetting why did you trouble to reply, other than through boredom?  I imagine you're just lonely. Get a pet.  Rats are fun.

"Get a pet.  Rats are fun."

Had a pretty crappy day so far but that extracted a chuckle!  Thanks.

N

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads