Just don't get rid of good gear - D2X tale....

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
Just don't get rid of good gear - D2X tale....
Apr 3, 2013

After swearing I'd never part with Mr super-smooth, My D2X with 50,000 clicks on the clock I succumbed to temptation and sold him on a whim for a good price of £650.00. 3 months later and wracked with remorse I've gone and got a mint replacement D2X for £499  from A UK dealer and with just 4,000 clicks.

The battery is after market but a good 'un. Stick to iso 100-200 and there's no nicer image available from any modern camera in my opinion. Just £499 for a camera that sold for £3000.00!!!

Welcome back! Mad or what?

Nikon D2X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 782
Like?
Re: Just don't get rid of good gear - D2X tale....
In reply to philm5d, Apr 3, 2013

Not mad, for sure.

I have a theory that, while older sensors are technically inferior, these older sensors were designed with different goals in mind.

Those were another times, with different priorities, and that ended in very different image outputs.

They were not so focused in High ISO, megapixels or DR those days.

If you take a closer look, all cameras from 2000 - 2007 had a different rendering with, generally speaking, more pleasant colors and much more pop.

It's no surprise that those were the days of CCD sensors as well...

Those older files do not have the same latitude to save errors like today's sensor... you had to be sure to nail exposure.

But if you did, these older files look very nice.

I still believe my D200 renders nicer than my D700, just to name one example.

The D2x comes from that golden age: technically inferior sensors, but superb rendering nevertheless.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to marcio_napoli, Apr 3, 2013

Hi Marcio, I am still using my D200 and loving it, I have just made an upgrade to it!! its called the Nikon 85mm f1.4D.

Here are a few quick snaps hand held, I am looking forward to trying this combination out when I get more time, so far I am amazed at the sharpness, the bokeh is extraordinary and there seems to be a near perfect setting for every application.

I just love the natural colours this camera provides, I cant even remember the last time I had to adjust the colour they just come out right.

f2.8

f1.6 at dusk

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to philm5d, Apr 3, 2013

Good for you that you are enjoying it. A good condition D2X still commands a fair price, even if its a fraction of what it was new, compared to newer cameras, it is still holding some value.

That should affirm your opinion. And I agree, I purchased a used D300 recently for 619, roughly a third of what it cost on release.

Really nice camera.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 782
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 4, 2013

Hi Cytokine

Lovely shots and superb colors!

I agree with you word by word, my friend.

I've always seen your posts as a huge fan of the D200, as we both are, and I entirely agree with you.

On a general basis, the D200 shots just come out great!

You don't need endless hours in front of Photoshop to make these images pop. They just come out great, right out of camera.

I shoot a lot with a Leaf aptus digital back, which is also CCD.

I'm about to say a tremendous heresy now:

I believe the D200 has a very comparable rendering to that digital back.

It's not exactly identical, but there's a certain shared feeling between these 2 sensors... and that shouldn't be a surprise, as both are CCD from the same technological age.

Love my D200 as well !

I believe my dream camera would be a modern FF D200.

Exactly the same sensor design and image processor, but FF instead of APS.

Larger viewfinder, larger and higher res LCD, and D4 AF system.

I'd buy a whole warehouse full of these!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
In reply to philm5d, Apr 4, 2013

Just watch out for the DR in direct sunlight.  I shoot with my D2Xs every once in awhile (usually as part of a multi-camera shoot) and it has a lot less DR (1.5-2 stops less) than more modern cameras even at base ISO which can cause issues at times.  I love the viewfinder, body build, fine details like viewfinder shutter, general feel, though.

-- hide signature --
tralalax
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
In reply to marcio_napoli, Apr 4, 2013

Who has forgotten the Fuji S2 pro? Still one of the DSLR that has most pleasing colors it rendered. I would say classic.

d50bsl
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 4, 2013

My first post. Couldn't agree more with all of the above. Although I haven't owned any of the cameras mentioned. I have just 'upgraded' from a D50, to a used D300 - bought from a well known UK second hand dealer. It had about 9000 clicks, and all it cost was £429. I am so glad that people trade up their good gear. I will probably keep the D50 as its still good and takes pretty much any lens. I'm not anti progress, and did a lot of research as to whether I should buy a D7000, but got scared off with the many issues that folks seem to continue getting.

Anyway I need time to adjust to the newer camera. OOC jpegs are not the same as for the D50 though - which are excellent, so I am searching for tips on setting it up.

d50bsl's gear list:d50bsl's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Cytokine
Like?
In reply to marcio_napoli, Apr 4, 2013

marcio_napoli wrote:

Hi Cytokine

Lovely shots and superb colors!

Thanks Marcio, Dof at f1.6 and 3-4ft is circa 8mm!! This lens is easier to use than the 50 1.4 and will blur a background within a few inches, there is a wall 1 foot behind the daffodils and even at f2.8 it is gone. this degree and extent of creamy blur at all applicable f-stops is what sets this lens off from the 1.8's.

I agree with you word by word, my friend.

I've always seen your posts as a huge fan of the D200, as we both are, and I entirely agree with you.

On a general basis, the D200 shots just come out great!

You don't need endless hours in front of Photoshop to make these images pop. They just come out great, right out of camera.

I shoot a lot with a Leaf aptus digital back, which is also CCD.

I'm about to say a tremendous heresy now:

I believe the D200 has a very comparable rendering to that digital back.

It's not exactly identical, but there's a certain shared feeling between these 2 sensors... and that shouldn't be a surprise, as both are CCD from the same technological age.

Love my D200 as well !

I believe my dream camera would be a modern FF D200.

Exactly the same sensor design and image processor, but FF instead of APS.

Larger viewfinder, larger and higher res LCD, and D4 AF system.

I'd buy a whole warehouse full of these!

Yes I was dreaming about the same thing, it would be quite something! CCD's have also got even better, and now use less power, they have many advantages over CMOS but would probably be very expensive. CCD's are also supposed to lasts longer apparently.

John

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

backayonder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,054Gear list
Like?
I like this post but...
In reply to d50bsl, Apr 4, 2013

I think you should be encouraging people to get rid of good gear so that I and others like you can continue to pick up some bargains as people upgrade.

I still use my D200 even though I have the D300s as well.

My latest downgrade? was to buy  a D100 obtained for a bargain $135 off that well known auction site. Paired with a Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens for me it has put the fun back into photography.

Something that I firmly believe is that when cameras such as the D2X, D200 and Fuji S5 Pro were  released, to the human eye the images they produced were absolutely stunning and as far as I know the human eye hasn't evolved since (mine may have got worse) so these old cameras are more than adequate.

Okay maybe a higher ISO with less noise might be handy, hence my hope for a D400 but maybe my next camera will be a bargain  D700 .

Just noticed on ebay a used D2X with lens, SB900 and Manfrotto tripod for $1000AUD. Too good to be true or what?

Cheers

-- hide signature --
Cytokine
Like?
Re: I like this post but...
In reply to backayonder, Apr 4, 2013

Hi Backayonder, Yes you are absolutely right, if people did not upgrade I would not have the d200 or the 85 1.4, though some photographers are regretting having sold the 1.4 D's as the G while also brilliant is different. which may be why they are so hard to find in the UK.

Ronnie G used to prefer his D100 for flower shots over the D200. the CCD in the Nikons was also the reason I switched from Canon to Nikon.

n j s
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Re: I like this post but...
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 13, 2013

Just spotted this very sensible post.

I agree very much with the sentiments as I've just bought a D200 in VG condition and am very intrigued by the quality of files it produces.

Its dynamic range seems limited compared to modern cams and high ISO shots are out of the question. Nevertheless it produces shots with beautiful colour and very smooth tones and seems to give the simplest of shots some drama. Great results with pp in Silver Efex.

It may be heavy to lug around in the field so it doesn't get out as much as I'd like but its given me some wonderful portraits of my granddaughter and other family members. They have a 'wow' factor that none of my other cameras can quite recreate.

Newer is not always better, especially where IQ is concerned..though it may well be faster and have more bells and whistles!

NikonScavenger
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to philm5d, Apr 16, 2013

I never got over how great CCD sensor photos look at low ISO.

MichaelSolna
Senior MemberPosts: 2,829
Like?
In reply to philm5d, Apr 16, 2013

I am very happy with the Nikon D2Hs I bought in November. I wouldn´t be able to throw the toy and then take the picture with my Minolta 7D.

Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Re: 8 mm min focus distance for Nikon 85mm f1.4 AF-D ?!
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 17, 2013

I don't think so... That distance is more like 85mm. That's why it is hard to take really really tight close ups withthat beautiful lens. Oh, sorry! I remember that you said 3-4 feets, which it's correct (closer, anyway).

Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Re: I like your idea with the D700 bargain, but..
In reply to backayonder, Apr 17, 2013

Don't think this will be possible soon. Of course D2x, D200 were special with their CCD sensors, but that D700 is hard to beat. It's like a Nikon of old. A reference camera whether you consider its built and functionality or its image quality.

Lmendy
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
In reply to philm5d, Apr 27, 2013

I have never been able to replicate images/files and color with almost a creamy soft look (yet sharp) that I use to capture with a D1X.  I sold it and have some regrets, but I doubt that I would buy another one (the size, weight and those darn batteries were a pain in the neck).  I did recently purchase a D300 with an extremely low shutter count.  After viewing multiple images here and on flickr, it does seem to have the kind of image quality I prefer.  I will have it in a week and hope that alhough it is not current tech, it is somewhere in between that old D1X and new tech.  I am quite satisfied with 12 megapixels since I rarely print and hardly ever go beyond 10X14.

Lmendy's gear list:Lmendy's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X-E2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads