Does Aperture support the Fuji X100S?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
jov95
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Does Aperture support the Fuji X100S?
Apr 3, 2013

Hello all. I have one of the new iMacs and am thinking of going to Aperture or Lightroom. I am going to be picking up the new FujiX100S here soon and was wondering if Aperture supports it or not. I know Lightroom just had an update to add that camera. I was leaning towards Aperture for the lower cost and ease of use for a beginner. Thanks for any info.

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,774
Like?
Re: Does Aperture support the Fuji X100S?
In reply to jov95, Apr 3, 2013

jov95 wrote:

Hello all. I have one of the new iMacs and am thinking of going to Aperture or Lightroom. I am going to be picking up the new FujiX100S here soon and was wondering if Aperture supports it or not. I know Lightroom just had an update to add that camera. I was leaning towards Aperture for the lower cost and ease of use for a beginner. Thanks for any info.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

RAW support is not a feature of the Apps from Apple. It's a built-in feature in OSX and released as an update for OSX, not for Aperture or iPhoto etc.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stubb
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
In reply to jov95, Apr 4, 2013

jov95 wrote:

Hello all. I have one of the new iMacs and am thinking of going to Aperture or Lightroom. I am going to be picking up the new FujiX100S here soon and was wondering if Aperture supports it or not.

No. Aperture does not support the Fuji X100S. Aperture and iPhoto have never supported non-Bayer raw files (Foveon or X-Trans), so I wouldn't get your hopes up that Apple's next raw update suddenly provides X100S support.

-- hide signature --
 Stubb's gear list:Stubb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stubb, Apr 4, 2013

My XP1 and X100s are why I switched to Lightroom 4 from Aperture.

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
David247
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
YES!
In reply to jov95, Apr 6, 2013

jov95 wrote:

Ignore those who don't actually check before speaking.

Aperture currently supports the following Fuji cameras.

The ** means it requires version Aperture 3 or later.  No Aperture does not have great support for all the Fuji cameras, but the X100 is supported via OS updates since camera support is built in to the OS, not the specific program.   
  • FinePix S2 Pro
  • FinePix S3 Pro
  • FinePix S5 Pro
  • FinePix X100**
Fujifilm All currently supported cameras listed here.  http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html.   Since Lightroom just came out with updates recently to their supported cameras, I suspect Apple will update shortly as well.  The two companies are not usually far apart in their updates.
-- hide signature --

David
Lightweaver's Photo Gallery: http://dwrobinson.zenfolio.com
Lighweaver's Blog: http://lightweaversblog.blogspot.com
"It's about the light. It is always about the light. Everything else is just tools to show the light in its infinitely changing forms."

David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,226
Like?
NO
In reply to David247, Apr 6, 2013

David247 wrote:

jov95 wrote:

Ignore those who don't actually check before speaking.

And ignore in particular those who think they know more when they actually know less. And those who fail to actually read and understand the answer they declare as being incorrect.

For the benefit of David here in bold the part he missed or did not understand:

"Aperture and iPhoto have never supported non-Bayer raw files (Foveon or X-Trans), so I wouldn't get your hopes up that Apple's next raw update suddenly provides X100S support."

One could forgive David for not knowing that the X-100s has an X-Trans, ie, a non-Bayer, sensor whereas the X-100 has a traditional Bayer sensor. But the answer in bold above should have given him pause to think.

David247
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
Re: NO
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 7, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

One could forgive David for not knowing that the X-100s has an X-Trans, ie, a non-Bayer, sensor whereas the X-100 has a traditional Bayer sensor. But the answer in bold above should have given him pause to think.

I stand corrected.  I failed to note the 's' version.

-- hide signature --

David
Lightweaver's Photo Gallery: http://dwrobinson.zenfolio.com
Lighweaver's Blog: http://lightweaversblog.blogspot.com
"It's about the light. It is always about the light. Everything else is just tools to show the light in its infinitely changing forms."

David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
David118
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to David247, Apr 7, 2013

I use Aperture and I just got the X20.  I gather it is unlikely that aperture will support raw files from the xtrans sensor.   So I assume I am stuck switching to Lightroom.  I like to make Apple photo books.  This may sound silly but is there a way to work on the raw file in Lightroom or any other program and then import the processed file into aperture without losing anything?

If not is there another book making program that is a customizable and as easy as the Apple one?

Thanks

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,226
Like?
In reply to David118, Apr 7, 2013

David118 wrote:

I use Aperture and I just got the X20.  I gather it is unlikely that aperture will support raw files from the xtrans sensor.   So I assume I am stuck switching to Lightroom.  I like to make Apple photo books.  This may sound silly but is there a way to work on the raw file in Lightroom or any other program and then import the processed file into aperture without losing anything?

Sure, just export the images at full size from LR (after having done any adjustments you like) as jpegs (using maximum jpeg quality) to a folder and then import them from there in Aperture.

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,774
Like?
In reply to David118, Apr 7, 2013

David118 wrote:

Sure, what could you possibly loose? Do the work in LR, export to tiff, dng or jpg and drop it in an Aperture Project. I do it all the time (for other reasons)

If not is there another book making program that is a customizable and as easy as the Apple one?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Mikael

_7D_
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
YES (Aperture 3.4 or later) Re: Does Aperture support the Fuji X100S?
In reply to jov95, 10 months ago

Aperture 3 supports the RAW formats from more than 150 digital cameras and camera backs. Aperture also lets you work with most DNG files. Shoot JPEG? Using Aperture, you can import JPEG images from virtually all digital cameras.

• FinePix S2 Pro
  • FinePix S3 Pro
  • FinePix S5 Pro
  • FinePix X100**
  • X-Pro1***
  • X-A1***
  • X-E1***
  • X-M1***
  • X20***
  • X100S***

RAW Support Requirements
Aperture 1.5 or later with Mac OS X v10.4.11 Tiger or Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard or later.
* Requires Aperture 2 or later with Mac OS X v10.4.11 Tiger or Mac OS X v10.5.2 Leopard or later.
** Requires Aperture 3 or later.
*** Requires Aperture 3.4 or later.

historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,242Gear list
Like?
Re: YES (Aperture 3.4 or later) Re: Does Aperture support the Fuji X100S?
In reply to _7D_, 10 months ago

still no support for the X-E2 tho, which carries the same sensor and proccessor as the X100S. That should come soon, with the release of the X-T1.

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 +3 more
guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to jov95, 10 months ago

Per Apple site, these are the supported Fuji Cameras:

Fujifilm:
FinePix S2 Pro
FinePix S3 Pro
FinePix S5 Pro
FinePix X100**
X-Pro1***
X-A1***
X-E1***
X-M1***
X20***
X100S***

Regards,
Guido

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to David118, 10 months ago

David118 wrote:

I use Aperture and I just got the X20. I gather it is unlikely that aperture will support raw files from the xtrans sensor. So I assume I am stuck switching to Lightroom. I like to make Apple photo books. This may sound silly but is there a way to work on the raw file in Lightroom or any other program and then import the processed file into aperture without losing anything?

Thanks

While LR5 does not have the same flexibility in book creation that Aperture has, it now has a built in book making module that supports books published by Blurb.  If you like what Blurb has to offer in terms of printing and pricing, you can very easily create books within Lightroom.  Personally, I think they are a little pricey, and there are very few template available, but it is certainly doable.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to guido1953, 10 months ago

Well, it seems they do support X-Trans sensors after all.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads