Genealogy software for MAC

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
mstecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Genealogy software for MAC
Apr 3, 2013

Can someone recommend basic FREE genealogy software for my Mac Mini (Mountain Lion)?  I downloaded the free version of GEDitII so I can read GEDCOM files on my Mac.  However, the OS will not allow me to install the software on my Mac as it is not approved by Apple.

-- hide signature --
mstecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Re: Genealogy software for MAC
In reply to mstecker, Apr 3, 2013

mstecker wrote:

Can someone recommend basic FREE genealogy software for my Mac Mini (Mountain Lion)?  I downloaded the free version of GEDitII so I can read GEDCOM files on my Mac.  However, the OS will not allow me to install the software on my Mac as it is not approved by Apple.

-- hide signature --

Please disregard my question.  Apparently the ability to read GEMCOM genealogy files is built into the Mountain Lion OSX as the file opened OK without installing new software.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Boreham
Contributing MemberPosts: 815Gear list
Like?

mstecker wrote:

However, the OS will not allow me to install the software on my Mac as it is not approved by Apple.

This applies to lots and lots of perfectly acceptable and safe software.

You just have to right click on the application then click on the "open" button which appears.

Or you can change your Gatekeeper settings in System Prefs/Security.

Mike Boreham's gear list:Mike Boreham's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III +2 more
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,757
Like?

mstecker wrote:

mstecker wrote:

-- hide signature --

Please disregard my question.  Apparently the ability to read GEMCOM genealogy files is built into the Mountain Lion OSX as the file opened OK without installing new software.

-- hide signature --

Anyway, there is this one, http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27497/paw2u

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads