Fujifilm better than sony?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
pevece
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm better than sony?
In reply to RezaTravilla, Apr 3, 2013

Speak honest? i prefer Olympus OMD EM5. Zuiko lens really a stellar lens. Fuji X-E1 and NEX 6 can have issue when Auto Focus on low light situation.

but, great camera don't make great photographer.

If i have a chance i will switch to OMD but too bad i already invested so many on NEX system

omd-em5 AF is not that good in low light situations and it doesn't have the same tracking facilities as the nex6 . Total focus system of nex6 is better.

there are very nice lenses also available on e-mount, NEX is better if you consider  total image quality certainly  in low light conditions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pevece
Like?
In reply to aodi, Apr 3, 2013

aodi wrote:

I have NEX 6 and had Fuji X-E1 for a week. I have not noticed meaningful difference in JPEG quality in real life shooting. I  like NEX ergonomics more (of course it is personal).

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

try jpeg fine setting on the nex and compare also RAW quality, example both with 35mm lens you will be surprised, check also colors especialy bright colors on the fuji !

pevece
Like?
Re: check out this shootout
In reply to didida do da do da do da, Apr 3, 2013

didida do da do da do da wrote:

from the camera store TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U

Personally I very much prefer the manual handling of the Fujis but they're lacking in video and I definitely want a tiltable LCD (even just for photography). Overall they're more expensive, also.

its rubbish, they are playing around it's not a fair comparison.

you can change basic functions very fast with NEX.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to pevece, Apr 3, 2013

pevece wrote:

Personally I very much prefer the manual handling of the Fujis but they're lacking in video and I definitely want a tiltable LCD (even just for photography). Overall they're more expensive, also.

Once again, the Sony needs better lenses.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
pevece
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 3, 2013

GaryW wrote:

-have you compared RAW's (LR4 or capture one 7)

You don't really know if there's much of a difference unless you can fix the shutter speed and compare photos.  With the ISOs set to auto, fix the shutter (and aperture, if reasonable -- Sony doesn't let you  have auto ISO in manual, but in more dim light, it can use max aperture in shutter priority mode) and let the ISO be whatever the camera wants.  Now compare the resulting photos.

You can't match ISOs then compare, as the given ISO number really varies between cameras, despite what some may think.  Check out DxO, as they find it out in their tests.

It's kind of tricky to actually do a good test comparison.

you don't have to make it that complicated just compare images with 200ISO setting and aperture equal to the sweet spot of the used lenses, for jpeg use jpeg fine setting on NEX6.

-did you check for color shifts

For legacy lenses?  I doubt standard lenses would have this?

18mm f2 fujinon

-did you use lenses of equal quality for your comparisons

Are there lenses of equal quality?  What if Fuji has high-end zooms that Nex fans are still waiting for?  Or is the 16-50 good enough?

the 16-50 is not that bad but not as good as the fuji version, but it is cheaper, more compact an more suitable for video, it's what people where asking for. You can't sel a 500€ lens as kit with NEX3. The 10-18mm seems to be very good,  a HQ standard zoom is still missing for NEX system, normally it will be released this year.

But what a meant, if you want to compare the image quality of camera's one must use lenses of same quality, example the 35mm primes

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?
In reply to thenewcameraguy, Apr 3, 2013

The sales guy at the store that doesn't sell Sony said the Fuji was better. He's maybe a little bit biased?

Anyway, it really depends on what you value. I wanted to completely replace my DSLR setup, top-to-bottom, with a mirrorless setup. After much research, it came down to 3 contenders for me. The Fuji X-E1, the Olympus OMD EM5 and the Sony NEX-6. I chose the NEX-6 because it was the best camera for me.

My advice is to make a list of what's critical , what's important and what's nice to have in a camera. Then rank each camera by that criteria. The answer should be obvious.

-- hide signature --
KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Apr 3, 2013

SQLGuy wrote:

You can search and find these answers in other posts on this forum.

Which one is better depends a lot on what's important to you. They are both good cameras. For my use, the NEX-7 is better.

As for the number of native, autofocus, E-mount lenses currently available, Sony has:

10-18 Zoom

16mm F2.8

20mm F2.8

16-50 Collapsible Power Zoom

18-55 Zoom

24mm F1.8Z (Sony/Zeiss lens)

30mm F3.5 Macro

35mm F1.8

50mm F1.8

18-200 (in several variants)

55-210 Zoom

That's already quite a bit more than 5, and doesn't include third party AF E-mount lenses like the Sigma 30mm 2.8 and 19mm 2.8. There are also a few more lenses scheduled to be released this year.

Your sales guy should check his facts before saying things that are so easy to prove wrong.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

The NEX series is, however, sorely lacking a fixed-aperture standard zoom.  There is a gaping hole in its lens lineup and they could go a long way towards nullifying that "limited lens selection" argument by introduction something like their much lauded 16-50mm f2.8 Alpha lens.  I've owned the NEX 5, 5N, and currently own the 6.  The 6 will be my last NEX camera until they introduce a fixed-aperture standard zoom.  I love the camera, but it has a serious hole in its capabilities portfolio that could be easily be taken care of by Sony.  Yes, you can use the LA-EA2 adapter, but then you have the 1/3 stop loss, the additional weight (expense and inconvenience), and size.  That and you don't have OSS native on the aforementioned Alpha lens since Sony Alphas have in-body stabilization and the NEX series has in-lens solutions (assuming they have that feature).

Why did I buy it if I knew there was a limited selection of lenses?  Because Sony said they would support it with a robust line of native lenses and I believed them and still do, but they have to introduce that fixed-aperture standard zoom soon.

As for the argument that the NEX series is all about a smaller footprint and a fixed-aperture standard zoom would be too big?  Please...the 18-200mm is huge.  It is much bigger than my Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 Nikon-mount lens.  They seem to have zero philosophical problems with pushing out endless iterations of that focal range in a large body lens.

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
pevece
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 3, 2013

captura wrote:

pevece wrote:

of course but it's also valid for fuji

50mm on nex is very good, very difficult to get same look and colors with other lenses on other systems except for the panasonic-leica 24mm (m4:3)

35mm is very good

24mm is very good

18-200mm is very good

20mm is promising

the sigma 18 en 30mm are good

the 18-55 is good it's not a top lens but capable to deliver very nice and usefull images

the 16-50 main goal is it's compactness, but certainly not bad.

a good standard zoom preferable faster than the fuji version is indeed missing, but most probably comming this year.

a good portrait prime in the range of 70 a 85mm is also desirable

pevece
Like?
In reply to KennyXL, Apr 3, 2013

KennyXL wrote:

As for the argument that the NEX series is all about a smaller footprint and a fixed-aperture standard zoom would be too big?  Please...the 18-200mm is huge.  It is much bigger than my Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 Nikon-mount lens.  They seem to have zero philosophical problems with pushing out endless iterations of that focal range in a large body lens.

just look at the 18-200mm powerzoom !

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?

pevece wrote:

captura wrote:

pevece wrote:

of course but it's also valid for fuji

50mm on nex is very good, very difficult to get same look and colors with other lenses on other systems except for the panasonic-leica 24mm (m4:3)

35mm is very good

24mm is very good

18-200mm is very good

20mm is promising

the sigma 18 en 30mm are good

the 18-55 is good it's not a top lens but capable to deliver very nice and usefull images

the 16-50 main goal is it's compactness, but certainly not bad.

a good standard zoom preferable faster than the fuji version is indeed missing, but most probably comming this year.

a good portrait prime in the range of 70 a 85mm is also desirable

I agree with Captura. NEX cameras need urgently better lenses. The 10-18, 24, 35 and 50 are good, not excellent but good. The rest are mediocre at best. The Fuji lenses are in an entirely  different class, as good as Zeiss and Leitz.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
KennyXL
Like?

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

That's not a fixed-aperture lens.  It is a 3.5-6.3 zoom lens which is considered quite slow (in the aperture sense).  Fast is usually considered to be f2.8 and wider (1.8, 1.4, 1.2, etc., etc.,...).

Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,656Gear list
Like?

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

That's not a fixed-aperture lens.  It is a 3.5-6.3 zoom lens which is considered quite slow (in the aperture sense).  Fast is usually considered to be f2.8 and wider (1.8, 1.4, 1.2, etc., etc.,...).

Fuji doesn't have a fixed aperture zoom either, or does it? Sony has one fixed aperture zoom (10-18 f/4 OSS) which is small and light. Fuji has one planned. But AFAIK, they have offered only one zoom so far, with variable aperture f/2.8-4.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
KennyXL
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 3, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

Fuji doesn't have a fixed aperture zoom either, or does it? Sony has one fixed aperture zoom (10-18 f/4 OSS) which is small and light. Fuji has one planned. But AFAIK, they have offered only one zoom so far, with variable aperture f/2.8-4.

I'm not implying that Fuji has one.  Fuji may or may not have a fixed-aperture standard zoom; I just haven't looked to find out since Fuji's not really on the horizon for me.  I can state definitively, at this time, Sony does not have one native to the NEX line and, as far as I know, will not be offering one in the near future (meaning this calendar year).  I haven't heard any credible rumor to the contrary, but would love it if someone can point out a link to me stating otherwise since waiting for one is becoming tiresome.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

KennyXL wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

I'm not implying that Fuji has one.  Fuji may or may not have a fixed-aperture standard zoom; I just haven't looked to find out since Fuji's not really on the horizon for me.  I can state definitively, at this time, Sony does not have one native to the NEX line and, as far as I know, will not be offering one in the near future (meaning this calendar year).  I haven't heard any credible rumor to the contrary, but would love it if someone can point out a link to me stating otherwise since waiting for one is becoming tiresome.

Well, Sony does have a constant aperture zoom (10-18 f/4), but if you're only talking about f/2.8, then no. However, I doubt a constant aperture f/2.8 zoom would help significantly considering size and weight will continue to be a problem (a reason Fuji too went with variable aperture normal zoom, albeit faster and charging for it).

Anybody looking for reasonably fast, should really look for primes that are generally at least a stop or more faster. For that matter, I have a Sony 16-50 f/2.8 which can be used on NEX, but I prefer 35/1.8 when I want low light capabilities (the zoom is preferred for versatility).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

Well, Sony does have a constant aperture zoom (10-18 f/4), but if you're only talking about f/2.8, then no. However, I doubt a constant aperture f/2.8 zoom would help significantly considering size and weight will continue to be a problem (a reason Fuji too went with variable aperture normal zoom, albeit faster and charging for it).

Anybody looking for reasonably fast, should really look for primes that are generally at least a stop or more faster. For that matter, I have a Sony 16-50 f/2.8 which can be used on NEX, but I prefer 35/1.8 when I want low light capabilities (the zoom is preferred for versatility).

I think that Kenny is talking about the standard zoom with fixed aperture, not necessarily f/2.8. Sony promised a high quality standard zoom and I hope they didn't mean the 16-50. I'm waiting for one too.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
mgn2
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to thenewcameraguy, Apr 3, 2013

Sounds like you went to a very biased shop. Honestly for someone starting a new high system from scratch you could not go wrong with either Fuji or Sony. In the end both will cost as much with the better lenses and will both take great pictures in the correct hands. What made me pick the NEX-6 over the X-E1 was mainly the hybrid CDAF/PDAF AF which brings mirrorless a lot closer to SLR. I felt Fuji cameras are better suited for slow, deliberate, though-out shots whereas the nex system was flexible enough to handle faster shooting conditions. The other reason I though Sony has the upper hand is the ability to use pretty much any lens with an adapter with focus peaking - something I have not tried yet, but seems like a good fun option to have. Good luck.

thenewcameraguy
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Enir4, Apr 3, 2013

So I went to a different store today that had both cameras and my wife said she likes the Nex 6 better and Fuji doesn't have as good of a grip. So I will be buying nex 6 since my wife has the 5r. Thanks everyone for help.

KennyXL
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

The 10-18mm is more of a wide-angle zoom, not really a standard zoom (which is more along the lines of 16mm or 17mm to 50mm or 55mm [possibly up to 70mm] on APS-C sensors) so it doesn't really fit what I said.  I also don't think a 16-50mm f2.8 lens would be all that big.  My Nikon's Sigma 16-50mm f2.8 (also APS-C) is smaller than Sony's 18-200mm variable aperture zoom lenses.  There are...4 versions of those and they're all bigger and some are heavier than my Sigma lens so that argument really doesn't hold any weight (no pun intended).

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

Enir4 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

I think that Kenny is talking about the standard zoom with fixed aperture, not necessarily f/2.8. Sony promised a high quality standard zoom and I hope they didn't mean the 16-50. I'm waiting for one too.

Sony had a "standard zoom" stated for launch in 2012 on the roadmap for E-mount lenses, which is the 16-50PZ. There was also a wide angle zoom for 2012, which is the 10-18/4. For 2013, the roadmap had a mid-magnification zoom and a G-lens zoom.

I suspect the mid-magnification zoom may be something like an 18-135. And the G-lens zoom will be the premium option, for 2013.

A newer road map has also surfaced which suggests addition of a Zeiss lens too.

Enrique

Documensony
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
16-70mm Zeiss E-mount lens coming

Enir4 wrote:

Sony promised a high quality standard zoom and I hope they didn't mean the 16-50.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-zeiss-16-70mm-for-nex-coming-within-this-year/

-- hide signature --

*Documensony*
'Spontaneity is enabled by rigorous practice'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads