Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,902Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, Apr 3, 2013

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

It's limited by the buffer.  A faster card will clear the buffer much faster, but a fast card will not gain much in terms of the max number if images until the buffer fills.  See the dpreview analysis about 1/2 way down this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page10.asp

But if the faster card clears the buffer faster you should gain a few shots in the burst until the maximum is reached, at least in theory.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, Apr 3, 2013

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I use the A-77.  As noted by many above, it can be done, but is more difficult for most folks using an SLT.  When tracking a moving subject (like BIF), after about three to five frames, the location of the subject in the EVF appears at a different place than reality.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the misplacement when shoting bursts is not that much, and doesn't really matter unless you are shooting very tight, format-filling subjects. Keeping such fast moving format-filling action within the viewfinder is the hardest part, no matter OVF or EVF. This takes some practise.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
OldClicker
Senior MemberPosts: 2,322
Like?
In reply to phiri, Apr 3, 2013

phiri wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

I have shot soccer games with the a77. The EVF can be annoying but it mostly bothers me once the buffer fills. I also have the D800 and my a99 focuses much quicker. To AF system of the a99 is quiet remarkable.

Cosmanaut, you dont have the D800. At least this much I know now. Do you actually mention the D800 in every thread to give your argument more weight? How long have you shot whith Nikon. You seem to highlight something no review agrees with

I've seen a lot of images from him with the D800, A99, A77, NEX7, Oly OM-D,...

Maybe you just don't like his real world experience???

-- hide signature --

Some would have you believe that having to adapt to new technology is a workaround, but having adapted to old technology is photography.

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
In reply to OldClicker, Apr 3, 2013

Sony is working on a new mirror system  just to give a live view between shots, so they admit it is not perfect the way it is now.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to danny006, Apr 3, 2013

danny006 wrote:

Sony is working on a new mirror system  just to give a live view between shots, so they admit it is not perfect the way it is now.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

It is far from perfect with OVF as well. Sony has offered higher frame rates. Now is the time to make it seamless... avoiding slide-show effects of EVF and blackouts of OVF.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,248Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Apr 3, 2013

TrojMacReady wrote:

123Mike wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

123Mike wrote:

But aren't you comparing something like 10 or 12 fps to the competition that does only like 3 or 5 fps or something like that?

Yes, you are correct.  I've not tried any OVF cameras at 10-12 fps.  And, I basically never (unless I'm showing off) use my A-77 at 12fps.  My lenses except for the 28-135mm and 35-70mm F4 are not sharp enough wide open.  The A-77 can be set for 3, 8 or 12 fps.  I usually have it set for 3 or 8 fps.  Even at 8 fps, I start loosing track of the subject after about 4-5 frames.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Is it limited by the card? With a fast card, how many frames can you shoot at 8 FPS?  One thing I remember when I considered the A77 is the that the fast rate was only available for 2 seconds or something...

The A99 sounds like a dream with the AF-D but it seems like it may be still constrained by the buffer.

I don't know about the A77 or A99, but from what I gathered, the A57 internally can only write at 4.5MB/s max. It means that using a class 10 card won't make it any faster than using a class 6 card.

According to Dpreview, the burst rate in jpeg fine when the buffer is full, is up to 2.5 fps with a 45MB/s card. That's >10MB/S. Burst rate after a full buffer in RAW was up to 1 fps, wich is about 16MB/s. And it can write a full buffer of RAW files (20) in 23 (21+2 seconds of shooting) seconds, which would equate to over 22 MB/s.

I don't think many class 6 cards will manage that....

I think you're forgetting the fact that photos first go into an in-camera RAM, and from there it's getting copied to the SD card.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Apr 3, 2013

tbcass wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

It's limited by the buffer.  A faster card will clear the buffer much faster, but a fast card will not gain much in terms of the max number if images until the buffer fills.  See the dpreview analysis about 1/2 way down this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page10.asp

But if the faster card clears the buffer faster you should gain a few shots in the burst until the maximum is reached, at least in theory.

-- hide signature --

From what I gathered, the A57 (don't know about the others), that RAM buffer content can not be transferred to the SD card faster than 4.5MB/s. So, I *think* I've spotted a test done by someone on this forum a couple of months ago, it makes no difference whether you use a class 10 or class 6 card.

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
123Mike
Like?
Re: I disagree with DPR on this.
In reply to tbcass, Apr 3, 2013

tbcass wrote:

Christopher0us wrote:

But I've never used an SLT, and DPR's review makes it sound like anything faster than 3fps (8, 10 , 12 fps) when the EVF goes to the slideshow view makes shooting moving action impossible.

So, does anyone have any experience that either supports or undermines that impression?

thanks!

Shooting sports with an SLT and it's inherent "slide show effect" is far from impossible. I totally disagree with DPR on this as I have done it many times. Is it as good as a standard DSLR with high frame rates? Probably not and it takes some getting used to but it is very doable.

-- hide signature --

Perhaps your 3 fps SLR works for you. But my 12 fps SLT works for me too. And myself, including others, can track action just fine with that thank you very much.

123Mike
Like?
Re: F1?
In reply to Rashkae, Apr 3, 2013

Question: why do you use the EVF when there is a always live screen available? Would that not keep you better in touch with the environment?

Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
In reply to Austen19, Apr 3, 2013

Austen19 wrote:

I'm really glad you made this post as I am considering an A77 to supplement my A700.

When I tested an A77 in my local shop and panned across the room it seemed the EVF was "not keeping up" but maybe I was just swinging it across too fast?

Recommend you take a memory card with you and practice with it a bit (hopefully not anchored to some display with a boat anchor, otherwise known as the in-store camera sales killer).  For my part coming from an OVF it was disconcerting only at first but just needed to make a mental adjustment.

Speaking of sales killers, one thing I noticed when looking at an A77 in-store (in a camera shop no less, with fancy separate Sony showcase display and the occasional Sony rep in-store) was the camera was running the oldest original firmware.  Controls were sluggish as was well known to occur in the early firmware, and it was predictably unimpressive.  Come on Sony (and camera stores), I know you've been using these demo models since they were released, but how about keeping things updated so people don't walk away with a (wrong) negative impression?  When I mentioned it to one of their photo 'expert' salespeople, he just shrugged and said he knew nothing about it.  I suspect this happens a lot elsewhere.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,455
Like?
Not forgetting anything.
In reply to 123Mike, Apr 3, 2013

123Mike wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

123Mike wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

123Mike wrote:

But aren't you comparing something like 10 or 12 fps to the competition that does only like 3 or 5 fps or something like that?

Yes, you are correct.  I've not tried any OVF cameras at 10-12 fps.  And, I basically never (unless I'm showing off) use my A-77 at 12fps.  My lenses except for the 28-135mm and 35-70mm F4 are not sharp enough wide open.  The A-77 can be set for 3, 8 or 12 fps.  I usually have it set for 3 or 8 fps.  Even at 8 fps, I start loosing track of the subject after about 4-5 frames.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Is it limited by the card? With a fast card, how many frames can you shoot at 8 FPS?  One thing I remember when I considered the A77 is the that the fast rate was only available for 2 seconds or something...

The A99 sounds like a dream with the AF-D but it seems like it may be still constrained by the buffer.

I don't know about the A77 or A99, but from what I gathered, the A57 internally can only write at 4.5MB/s max. It means that using a class 10 card won't make it any faster than using a class 6 card.

According to Dpreview, the burst rate in jpeg fine when the buffer is full, is up to 2.5 fps with a 45MB/s card. That's >10MB/S. Burst rate after a full buffer in RAW was up to 1 fps, wich is about 16MB/s. And it can write a full buffer of RAW files (20) in 23 (21+2 seconds of shooting) seconds, which would equate to over 22 MB/s.

I don't think many class 6 cards will manage that....

I think you're forgetting the fact that photos first go into an in-camera RAM, and from there it's getting copied to the SD card.

First, I mentioned the sustained speed after the buffer is full. Which means that the buffer has little to do with the speed at that point.

Second, I mentioned write speeds calculated from the point that pictures were taken, until the writing was completed. Which means that the actual write speed to the card is likely even higher because the files are written to the internal memory first (thus actual write time to card probably shorter than the quoted 23 seconds).

In short, it's still a multitude higher than the 4.5MB/s limit that you gave.

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
In reply to phiri, Apr 3, 2013

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,455
Like?
Very nice combo and... Phiri eats crow again (nt)
In reply to cosmonaut, Apr 3, 2013

cosmonaut wrote:

Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
Yes, all the time
In reply to Christopher0us, Apr 4, 2013

Like you, I thought it would be an issue before I got the a57. It's simply not a problem, and because of speed, better.

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,871Gear list
Like?
My reply in the sports forum
In reply to Christopher0us, Apr 4, 2013
 lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
In reply to burtcat, Apr 4, 2013

Wow those are awesome.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,896Gear list
Like?
Re: SLT cameras excel at fast moving action!
In reply to lim yau tong, Apr 4, 2013

You want action?

A55 and A57:

SLT cameras are excellent for capturing fast moving action IMHO.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,495
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Apr 4, 2013

Nordstjernen wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I use the A-77.  As noted by many above, it can be done, but is more difficult for most folks using an SLT.  When tracking a moving subject (like BIF), after about three to five frames, the location of the subject in the EVF appears at a different place than reality.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the misplacement when shoting bursts is not that much, and doesn't really matter unless you are shooting very tight, format-filling subjects. Keeping such fast moving format-filling action within the viewfinder is the hardest part, no matter OVF or EVF. This takes some practise.

Or, if you are using spot focusing.  I end up just about always using spot focusing because, I rarely see a BIF with a clear background and am never set with wide area focusing.  So, with spot, I have to be able to keep the spot on the bird.  Thus, if the slideshow effect is operating, I loose focus.

I'm not really complaining.  I'm not real good at tracking anyway

-- hide signature --

AEH

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, Apr 4, 2013

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I'm not really complaining.  I'm not real good at tracking anyway

Don't think so. For me it took some practising to overcome the look & feel of the slideshow effect, and now when I am mentally prepared, tracking and panning when shooting bursts is so much easier.

For action I use spot or center group autofocus. With the A99 I use center group more often than with my A77 since the AF area is much less spread, which I prefer.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
james2k50
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, Apr 4, 2013

123Mike wrote:

-- hide signature --

AEH

Hmm I don't have this issue with my A65..
--
James J Doucette

http://jamesjdoucette.zenfolio.com/

james2k50's gear list:james2k50's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads