Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
Christopher0us
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?
Apr 3, 2013

I'm a Nikon shooter currently thrilled with my D800. It suits what I like to shoot very, very well for the most part.

I've also always been a sports fan, and enjoyed shooting sports. After a couple of weekends at Grand Prixs (F1, Indycar, Grand-Am are all regular events) I've become curious about what a faster frame-rate might get me if it can be done on the cheap, as it's not a big thing for me right now. The current sale on the Sony a57 is tempting.

But I've never used an SLT, and DPR's review makes it sound like anything faster than 3fps (8, 10 , 12 fps) when the EVF goes to the slideshow view makes shooting moving action impossible.

So, does anyone have any experience that either supports or undermines that impression?

thanks!

Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChefAlex
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?
In reply to Christopher0us, Apr 3, 2013

Christopher0us wrote:

I'm a Nikon shooter currently thrilled with my D800. It suits what I like to shoot very, very well for the most part.

I've also always been a sports fan, and enjoyed shooting sports. After a couple of weekends at Grand Prixs (F1, Indycar, Grand-Am are all regular events) I've become curious about what a faster frame-rate might get me if it can be done on the cheap, as it's not a big thing for me right now. The current sale on the Sony a57 is tempting.

But I've never used an SLT, and DPR's review makes it sound like anything faster than 3fps (8, 10 , 12 fps) when the EVF goes to the slideshow view makes shooting moving action impossible.

So, does anyone have any experience that either supports or undermines that impression?

thanks!

I believe that most people have issue with high frame rates on the alpha series such as the a77 is when they have auto review on.  I personally have it off so I don't see too much of a change compared to when I was shooting with the Canon 7D.

OVF users say you can't track well with the EVF because of the slide show or because of "lag" but think about this, when shooting with OVF, you still get a blackout when the mirror flips up. You don't have any issues with that, right?

I'm sure you will find it suitable for your needs. If you still have doubts, rent it for a couple of days and come up with your own judgement.

Just my 2 cents

ChefAlex's gear list:ChefAlex's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GaryMiller1951
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

I shoot rodeos a few times a year and got an A57 right before one of them this year. Here is a gallery with some action sequences many of which were shot in really poor light hand held using 1600 and 3200 ISO and classic Minolta film era 50mm 1.7 & 28mm 2.8 primes - quite a test.

http://www.sisterscountryphotography.com/Rodeo-Galleries/2012-Sisters-Rodeo/Exciting-Action-Sequences/23535620_wf6Lvw

Hardly perfect shots in that light but pretty impressive for a camera in this price range. It does a great job and the crop sensor will give you more range at the track in good light.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
At 10 fps (A55)

Christopher0us wrote:

thanks!

Here is one of my first attempt from a while ago (12-frames, at 10 fps, some frames deleted as some were shooting with flash, polluting the scene), all with Sony A55 and Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM (at 50mm)... indoor rodeo wasn't planned or else I would have included a faster/longer lens:

Normally, I shoot in burst mode but keep only a few key ones. For example, this was also a sequence, but kept only a couple of these:

More recently, I captured a 14-shot sequence of a Bouquet Toss at a wedding, from toss, to catch to shattering of the bouquet (rather funny captures).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
burtcat
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?

Sorry the colour maybe off on some of these as they were upload before I started calibrating my monitor. Once you get the hang of using the EVF action shots shouldn't be an issue.

GaryMiller1951
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?
Re: At 10 fps (A55)
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 3, 2013

Nice shots. The color turned out very well. What lens were you using?

HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,436Gear list
Like?

Not impossible, but is far from ideal. You can learn to deal with it, but for something where the movements can be erratic, I haven't found Sony AF to match Canon's or Nikon's top end yet. They CAN do the job, just not as well, and you will be working around the faults. It's a give and take, and it's why I'm going to be switching to a dual system of a D700 for action and event work, and a Sony A850 for fine art and portrait work.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,972Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChefAlex, Apr 3, 2013

I have shot soccer games with the a77. The EVF can be annoying but it mostly bothers me once the buffer fills. I also have the D800 and my a99 focuses much quicker. To AF system of the a99 is quiet remarkable.

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,972Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, Apr 3, 2013

cosmonaut wrote:

I have shot soccer games with the a77. The EVF can be annoying but it mostly bothers me once the buffer fills. I also have the D800 and my a99 focuses much quicker. To AF system of the a99 is quiet remarkable. If I shoot short burst and keep the buffer cleared I am fine with either a99 or a77.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,534
Like?
In reply to HobbiesAreFun, Apr 3, 2013

Is that comparison based on extensive experience with the latest SLT's, including the A99 and fast AF lenses?  Otherwise it's an apples vs oranges comparison. Even the A57 already does better than the A55 in terms of tracking and better than most of its Canon/Nikon peers in the the sub $800 category.

JohnD2000
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

At a recent BTCC event at Brands Hatch, I thought it would be fun to try panning on the rear LCD.  The looks I got from Canikon users were hilarious.

I get more keepers with SLTs than I ever got with any "traditional" DSLR.  The a99 is superb for sports use.

phiri
Contributing MemberPosts: 967Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, Apr 3, 2013

cosmonaut wrote:

I have shot soccer games with the a77. The EVF can be annoying but it mostly bothers me once the buffer fills. I also have the D800 and my a99 focuses much quicker. To AF system of the a99 is quiet remarkable.

Cosmanaut, you dont have the D800. At least this much I know now. Do you actually mention the D800 in every thread to give your argument more weight? How long have you shot whith Nikon. You seem to highlight something no review agrees with

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,797Gear list
Like?

I often shoot R/C model aircraft at quite close distances and believe me they are moving fast! I have no problem at all in tracking them. R/C models are much harder to track than real aircraft as the direction is often rapidly changing and you never know what comes next.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,534
Like?
Phiri accusations, the usual.
In reply to phiri, Apr 3, 2013

phiri wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

Cosmanaut, you dont have the D800. At least this much I know now. Do you actually mention the D800 in every thread to give your argument more weight? How long have you shot whith Nikon. You seem to highlight something no review agrees with

He has D800 shots in his galleries. Do you?

You really don't need to defend Nikon in here with unfounded accusations.

Austen19
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to busch, Apr 3, 2013

busch wrote:

I often shoot R/C model aircraft at quite close distances and believe me they are moving fast! I have no problem at all in tracking them. R/C models are much harder to track than real aircraft as the direction is often rapidly changing and you never know what comes next.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

I'm really glad you made this post as I am considering an A77 to supplement my A700.

When I tested an A77 in my local shop and panned across the room it seemed the EVF was "not keeping up" but maybe I was just swinging it across too fast?

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?

Shooting action with SLT, how about this?

Shooting Serena and Sharapova at the Sony Open with Sony a99

You might also want to consider the a65 it's a bit more robust than the a57...

-- hide signature --
Gary-West Sussex
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?
I shoot Kitesurfers and Wildlife with the A77 and A99

As with any camera it will take you a while to learn how to really exploit the cameras capabilities. I shoot kitesurfers and wildlife with both camera at 12fps (A77) and 6fps (A99) and am really happy with the results.

Photographing action Kitesurfing is quite difficult as the jumps and turns are usually very quick and unpredictable........see example (A77 at 12fps)

However BIFs are also very challenging as the smaller birds in particular are so fast.... see example (A99 at 6fps)

Redshank in flight

Both of these shots were hand held and panning/tracking the subject.

You should not expect to be an expert immediately and practice makes perfect.  I enjoy using both cameras for different reasons.  I particularly like the ability to set Auto-ISO in manual mode on the A99 effectively enabling you to pick the Apature and shutter speed you want and letting the camera adjust the ISO to achieve the correct exposure.

Hope this is helpful/re-assuring............ cheers .......... Gary

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?

The slide show effect makes tracking moving objects very difficult. If you plan to use it on the racetrack, it is better to go with an ovf. I have the A77 and use it for wildlife. But I am having problems keeping the subject in the frame.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
In reply to danny006, Apr 3, 2013

danny006 wrote:

The slide show effect makes tracking moving objects very difficult. If you plan to use it on the racetrack, it is better to go with an ovf. I have the A77 and use it for wildlife. But I am having problems keeping the subject in the frame.

Learn to shoot with both eyes on "target", problem solved.

Archer66's gear list:Archer66's gear list
Sony a77 II
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Apr 3, 2013

Actually I am tired of people defending the evf when it comes to action/sports. And yes it can be done, I have several shots from birds in flight, but it comes down to luck and mostly the first few shots are in focus.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads