Canceled my order for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Canceled my order for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II
Apr 3, 2013

As soon as I heard about the update of the Olympus 75-300mm lens, I put my order in it with Olympus itself on January 30. From that date until today's date (April 2), their Website has said, "PRE-ORDER Expected to ship mid-March.

This morning I finally reached my wits' end and I called Pro Photo Supplies in downtown Portland, OR to find out if they had this in stock. Yes, so I put a reserve on it, cancelled my Olympus order, and went and retrieved my new 75-300mm II from the brick and mortar Pro Photo Supplies.

Surprisingly, Olympus sent me email within a couple hours giving notice that my order has been canceled. Previously, I had waited 48 hours without response for an inquiry about when to actually expect shipment (since their promise was by mid March and it was already in April), and they didn't reply to that email. They are apparently much more eager to receive cancellations than inquiries about when they'll ship the product.

Naturally I couldn't wait to run some test shots. Drove to a rather upscale neighborhood that I've been photographing lately and that's what I did with the 75-300mm II. Here's an album of my outing.

First test shots with Olympus 75-300mm II

So artistically, these are nothing to rave about. I just wanted to see how the lens handled and over what range images were sharp. In a word, it handles beautifully. At least new, it has absolutely no lens creep, unlike what I've heard about the much more expensive, first version of this lens. It balances beautifully with the Olympus E-M5 and my RRS BH-40 works wonders with it. Yes, all images were taken on a tripod. I can't imagine using this lens hand-held, not with this rickety old body.

My experience echoes what others have reported, I think. I say I "think" because most of my 300mm shots are of distant hills in haze. At the wide end of the lens, images are superbly sharp. Others have reported softness at 300mm which clears up at 280mm. There are hints in my hazy distant shots that this is true.

I always perform PP on all of my images and always start with raw (after initially triaging my JPEGs). These images (like most from the Olympus E-M5) required very little PP, just mild levels mainly. No color correction.

For comparison, my Panasonic 45-200mm weighs 14.1 oz and my Olympus 75-300mm weighs 15.5 oz, both without a lens hood. But the Panasonic is much more troublesome to use because it has egregious lens creep and it has an OIS on/off switch which all too easily gets accidentally turned on, which causes the image to drift when on a tripod.

If anyone would like me to post full size images up here, give the image number and I'll do that in a subsequent post. I just didn't want to burn up a lot of my quota with these images, which aren't masterpieces. But I'm most please with the IQ.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Savas Kyprianides
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,368
Like?
Re: Canceled my order for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 3, 2013

It's a good lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dadaoftwo
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?

Was hoping to use this handheld for some street shots...not possible?

dadaoftwo's gear list:dadaoftwo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Ellen 1
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
In reply to dadaoftwo, Apr 3, 2013

Looks like a great lens.

-- hide signature --

Ellen McIlroy

Savas Kyprianides
Like?

Possible.

FrankParis
Like?

dadaoftwo wrote:

It's all about holding the camera steady. At 300mm, the image was jumping all over the place in the viewfinder. My hands are just too shaky. But on a sunny day, if your hands are steady, you'll be able to do it. I'm pretty good at hand-holding my 25mm at f/2.8, but that's an entirely different story.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Roderic
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?

Got mine yesterday and am well pleased. The IQ seems similar to my 14-150.  Pushed up ISO to 800 which is nothing for the EM5 I managed to get a reasonable shot at 1/5th sec, yes that's right 1/5th sec.  Ok the image was doing the tango in the viewfinder but the magic stabiliser sorted it.

I think though that a tripod or even a monopod is the way to go to get really sharp results.  Probably not really suited to street photography without support. Can always use someones head as an emergency measure!  I have taken some good night shots doing this.

Highly recommend. Now saving to go on safari!

FrankParis
Like?
In reply to Roderic, Apr 3, 2013

Roderic wrote:

Got mine yesterday and am well pleased. The IQ seems similar to my 14-150.  Pushed up ISO to 800 which is nothing for the EM5 I managed to get a reasonable shot at 1/5th sec, yes that's right 1/5th sec.  Ok the image was doing the tango in the viewfinder but the magic stabiliser sorted it.

Amazing! I'll actually have to try this. Well, not at 1/5s. We'll see tomorrow.

I think though that a tripod or even a monopod is the way to go to get really sharp results.

I have not had success with a monopod carrying such a light load. Not enough inertia for me to keep the load from rocking back and forth. Whom you see using monopods are sports' photographers with huge zoom lenses. But maybe they work for you. I started with a monopod when I first switched to MFT. I was better at getting sharp pictures (with my 14-45mm Panny) hand-holding against my face than using a monopod. After a month of failures, it's been confined to storage.

Highly recommend.

Yes, indeed. Tomorrow I'm off to an arboretum for some aesthetic work: many beautiful flowering trees in bloom, especially spectacular are the magnolias coming out now in Portland, OR.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis
Like?
Another thing about the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II...

The zoom setting locks when you remove the lens! I haven't seen this behavior before in a lens. Any other MFT lenses do this? I have to remember to set the lens at 75mm for compact storage before removing it from the body. There is absolutely no play in the zoom lens when removed from the camera. It is locked down solid. If this is easy to do for manufacturers, probably all zooms should work this way. Saves wear and tear on the mechanism anyhow.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,411
Like?
Re: Another thing about the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II...

FrankParis wrote:

The zoom setting locks when you remove the lens! I haven't seen this behavior before in a lens. Any other MFT lenses do this? I have to remember to set the lens at 75mm for compact storage before removing it from the body. There is absolutely no play in the zoom lens when removed from the camera. It is locked down solid. If this is easy to do for manufacturers, probably all zooms should work this way. Saves wear and tear on the mechanism anyhow.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

I don't think that's the case. However, the zoom ring extends all the way back to the last 5mm or so of the barrel. Try holding it right by the back end of the lens, near the flange.

MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,590
Like?

I was able to purchase the older model 75-300mm lens and I really like shooting with it.  I do not know the difference between the older style 75-300mm lens and the newer style 75-300mm lens, but my lens  was only 6 months old at the time of my purchase and the camera that it was traded in with only had 1200 shutter clicks on it.  I was able to pick that lens up for a whopping $395, the images from it is great.

photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?

That's a very nice place you live in! Enjoy your new lens.

Photofan

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
FrankParis
Like?
You are right, I was wrong.
In reply to Martin.au, Apr 3, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

I don't think that's the case. However, the zoom ring extends all the way back to the last 5mm or so of the barrel. Try holding it right by the back end of the lens, near the flange.

Oh yeah. You're right. I'm so embarrassed! Very stupid of me.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Martin.au
Like?
Re: You are right, I was wrong.

FrankParis wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Oh yeah. You're right. I'm so embarrassed! Very stupid of me.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Haha, no. I did the same at first. It's an unusual design.

FrankParis
Like?
The images with the highest hit count

FrankParis wrote:

Naturally I couldn't wait to run some test shots. Drove to a rather upscale neighborhood that I've been photographing lately and that's what I did with the 75-300mm II. Here's an album of my outing.

First test shots with Olympus 75-300mm II

The following are the shots with the highest hit counts:

Nothing special here. High hit count because first in album probably.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 939
Like?
I'm using my Nikkor 75-300

Hand held at 300 ( 600 equivalent ), iso 400, wide open ( using only the center of lens ), the images are sharp. That's one of the reasons I bought the OM5. I'm looking forward to using my 180mm f/2.8. A little more reach than the Nikkor 300mmf/2.8!

For years I've been hoping for a camera that would allow me to use many of the "great" old lenses that I own. I have an old, light Leica 400mm f/8 ( I think! ) that is exceedingly sharp at f/8. Safari here I come! I musn't forget the beanbag!

Savas Kyprianides
Like?
Re: The images with the highest hit count

Nice, Frank.

Here's some handheld. First one is around 80 yards out at 300mm. Below it is a crop.

This shot is a distance of some 15 feet away at 300mm; it's a crop and the full size is seen below it.

These were not static subjects. The bird in particular moved quickly and unpredictably.

Savas

FrankParis
Like?
In reply to Savas Kyprianides, Apr 3, 2013

Amazing! Haven't tried hand-holding yet, but I will before the day is out. All on a tripod so far.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Martin.au
Like?

FrankParis wrote:

Amazing! Haven't tried hand-holding yet, but I will before the day is out. All on a tripod so far.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Check out photo number 8.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3458796

FrankParis
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Apr 3, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Check out photo number 8.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3458796

The female Eclectus poking out of its house? It's blurry. Do you mean one of the others?

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads