>>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it? Locked

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Re: >>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it?
In reply to fad, Apr 4, 2013

I decided  afterwards that  one or two issues that annoyed me would not knock me of my feet and take the pleasure from me to participate in this forum.  Maybe  you could consider the same and jump over some issues and do what the forum is meant for .   Street photography ad documentary  photography.   It would be so nice if everybody would just do that from today on isn't it ?   Try  ?

cheers and have a nice day

hexar

hexar
Re: >>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it?
In reply to fad, Apr 4, 2013

I have followed that discussion well Fad.   It all start with a picture of a " fuchsia "  house.   That pic is not good in many aspects but the poster has obviously not given enough info about his documentary thoughts to the pic to avoid  One Ant giving the guy a not too polite comment on the Pic.    OneAnt as an experienced poster could have given a more friendly comment ( or none)  so APAFLO  would not have felt the urge to protect that new fuschia poster .  From here the whole stupid discussion decelops.   The  very reason for the discussion is not the content of it but the annoyance to that unsympathic approach to the OP.   OneAnt knows better than this  so do the others.

negativ comments in a honest and appropriate manner should be  possible.    I did not crush on you with  my opinion about your couples that were not goods pics to my liking for this forum .  I can imagine though that you sense my remarks as a personal insult bit that should not be As it was not formulated as such and not meant as such.   If  you throw a wave of couple pics on me as a reaction on my comments this will attract negativ attention from several sides .  Unnecesary situation isn't it ?

I think that positiv and negativ reactions to each pthers work should be possible but as always it is the tone that makes the music and one should not have long toes.

( i don't know if this is a proper english expression but you probably understand what I mean)

I hope sincerely that my request to re-set our minds  will be rewarded with nice pics and discussions.

cheers

HEXAR

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Re: I am confused
In reply to solveproblems, Apr 4, 2013

I'd tell you, but even my most innocuous posts  get deleted. If I even intimated at a suggestion I'd probably get banned. If you see this before it gets deleted, you can pm me or any of the regular posters and get the lowdown.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
solveproblems
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
In reply to Sal18, Apr 4, 2013

I feel extremely poor. Everybody discusses something and I have no idea of it (

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,089
In reply to solveproblems, Apr 4, 2013

Ok forgive my inserting my self here but My goodness gracious me I left here a year or so ago and the street thread was a vibrant alive and wonderful place and now I find this sad sorry state of affairs sigh so you missed me hehehhee;

The art of being a moderator is best achieved by doing as little as possible. In forums where free exchanges of ideas is the norm less is better when it comes to moderation. All threads have a life expectancy and almost all disagreements and other problems work themselves out if left alone. Too much moderating stiffles spontinaitey and limits debats in some very unexpected ways. Also remember rules are guidlines and in real life as here on the froum no rule can possibly be perfect.

Also most so called rule infringments can be cleared up with a simple one on one communication between the moderator and alleged rule breaker.

Finally the moderators should remember they are imposing their interpertaion of rules and a different moderator may see the rules differently.

bottom line here is as above Less moderation works far better than more.

As for we posters it is of course our responsibility to know what the rules are. And make every effort to live within them.

I find it very hard to believe this state of affairs cannot be put behind and get on with the street thread.

PS don't let the new nick bosjohn21 fool you its still the same old bosjohn

and HI all I have missed you.

John aka bosjohn21

Sal18
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 4, 2013

Thank you, John! And welcome back. Your words are wise, timely and I'm sure SPers are grateful that you have 'inserted' them. Please stick around.

I'm hoping to see lots of new work, show some myself, and I'm still hoping to see Apaflo's photos. There must be some interesting characters in Barrow.

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,094Gear list
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 5, 2013

Bosjohn is of course correct.

One way I misspent my youth was to spend an inordinate amount of time in the Yale Political Union, which was based parliamentary debate as in the House of Commons and used America's Roberts Rules of Order.   For some of my friends this was training for the highest levels of all three branches of government, and not street photography.  :}

One thing we learned is that the Speaker, or chair, of a group kept his mouth shut as much as possible.   This role is very parallel to being a moderator of a discussion group, using the lightest, but smartest possible, hand to stay alert and keep the conversation flowing.   Some of my peers were orators or charismatic brilliance, a few became names you might have heard of.   But when they were in a moderator's position, they did not speak on debate topics, in more formal assemblies.  In less formal caucuses, the chairman/moderator would ostentatiously hand his gavel over to another person of lesser authority, if he wished to address the main topic of discussion (and generally it was best to avoid that.)  By handing over the gavel, he made it clear he was speaking in his personal capacity, as a diminished entity.

It takes great skill and discipline, and self-confidence, to embrace that form of leadership.  Exceptional people who were able to dazzle at the drop of a hat, had to learn the power, and respect, that comes from stepping into the background and keeping their mouth shut, except when necessary, and that necessity was in the service of the group they belonged to.

Those who did it well, earned tremendous respect from their peers.  There is a man who ran for president and became Secretary of State who today, if you mentioned the name of my mentor who died in 1965 at age 23, would bow his head in tribute.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
fad
fad

We've missed you too, John.

We continue to be attacked ad hominem by hexar and threatened by apaflo.

We are considering what to do, but it has been made clear to us that we will be viciously attacked if we stay in this forum.

If apaflo and hexar would be willing to accept responsibility for the prior actions and agree to leave us alone, our choice would be simple.

-- hide signature --

Frank

hexar
In reply to fad, Apr 5, 2013

Show John 1 single attack and I will apologize publicly !!  I am not the type of guy to attack annyone and you know that .

HAVE A NICE DAY

HEXAR

hexar
In reply to fad, Apr 5, 2013

Frank,  you say to John  "  WE ARE ATTACHED"    Who are  "WE"  ?    Is there a group that you consider yourself to be part of  that is " under attach" ?     Who are  the group and what are the attaches ?

Let's clean rhe air rather than  feeding   your conspiracy  theory that might confuse new comers or people like John that come back after a break.  Tell me exactly what you feel attached by  and let other forum members decide for themselves if you have right to believe intentions towards you or  not .  Further stirring in this conspiracy idea of yours will not do you any good so take this opportunity to clear the air between who ever you think is targeting you negatively and yourself.

This my reaching  hand to make all relations clean and clear.  ACCEPT ?

HAVE A NICE  DAY

HEXAR

fad
fad
In reply to hexar, Apr 5, 2013

hexar wrote:

Show John 1 single attack and I will apologize publicly !!  I am not the type of guy to attack annyone and you know that .

HAVE A NICE DAY

HEXAR

Well, to be honest, there is the constant passive-aggressive sniping and the cutesy cavalier dismissal of the quality of our work.

But this post clearly demands precedence, for it was both personally insulting and an attack against pretty much ever street photographer who ever lived.  It has also led to no end of disruption:

Frank, what is your drive to get so deep into the intimacy of  couples like this ?   Would a pic like this not be only  of value for those exposed ?   What is your point capturing  and saving   isolated  exposures of these couples ?   I would feel myself a bit too much voyeur  rather than photograper in  situations like this .

Do you think it is a small matter to be accused of being a sexual pervert and not a photographer?

Do you not accept any responsibility for causing the ruckus that led to my, since-rescinded, banning and the closing of our thread?

-- hide signature --

Frank

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,089

hexar wrote:

Frank,  you say to John  "  WE ARE ATTACHED"    Who are  "WE"  ?    Is there a group that you consider yourself to be part of  that is " under attach" ?     Who are  the group and what are the attaches ?

Let's clean rhe air rather than  feeding   your conspiracy  theory that might confuse new comers or people like John that come back after a break.  Tell me exactly what you feel attached by  and let other forum members decide for themselves if you have right to believe intentions towards you or  not .  Further stirring in this conspiracy idea of yours will not do you any good so take this opportunity to clear the air between who ever you think is targeting you negatively and yourself.

This my reaching  hand to make all relations clean and clear.  ACCEPT ?

HAVE A NICE  DAY

HEXAR

It has been my experience over the years that there comes a time to just stop responding right wrong or what ever. It really doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. There is far to much exciting photos here to talk about.

John aka bosjohn21

Sal18

Thank you, John. Once again sage words.

If the wolves go unfed they will look for prey elsewhere. Feed 'em and they take ever larger bites.

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
fad
fad
Now I am really confused

Is that an apology for your actions, or a denial that they actually happened, or a feeling that you bear no responsibility for hateful and irresponsible words that did actual damage?

You promised an apology.   I think one is appropriate and I expect it.

If you break that promise, why should anyone trust you on any other?

I hope you will be a man of your word.

"I hate like the gates of Hades the man who says one thing and holds another in his heart."

Achilles, book IX of the Iliad, to a delegation come to make peace among the Achaians.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
The relevant fact for SP Exchange
In reply to fad, Apr 6, 2013

is that hexar intends to pretend to be friendly, as he always has, but continue to disrupt things and say nasty things.

That is relevant to us.

To clarify, once again all we are asking of him is to agree to voluntarily agree not to interfere with us, to ignore us and not to make comments, positive or negative about us --to leave us in peace.

We will gladly do the same with him.

So, hexar, is that agreeable to you, or not?

-- hide signature --

Frank

hexar

fad wrote:

hexar wrote:

HAVE A NICE DAY

HEXAR

Well, to be honest, there is the constant passive-aggressive sniping and the cutesy cavalier dismissal of the quality of our work.

But this post clearly demands precedence, for it was both personally insulting and an attack against pretty much ever street photographer who ever lived.  It has also led to no end of disruption:

Frank, what is your drive to get so deep into the intimacy of  couples like this ?   Would a pic like this not be only  of value for those exposed ?   What is your point capturing  and saving   isolated  exposures of these couples ?   I would feel myself a bit too much voyeur  rather than photograper in  situations like this .

Do you think it is a small matter to be accused of being a sexual pervert and not a photographer?

Do you not accept any responsibility for causing the ruckus that led to my, since-rescinded, banning and the closing of our thread?

-- hide signature --

Frank

If  anyone on this forum thinks my comment as quoted by Frank is a reason to apologize please let me know.

i do not feel that my comment was an attack to Frank rather than  my  opinion as open and honest as I could.

" SEXUAL PEVERT  AND NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER "  are not MY  words anywhere in this forum ! It is YOU interpreting my words into such words.  No post from me with such phrases can be found on this forum.

why do you suggest such phrases coming from me ?   I never used those words Frank.   To me you just  want to make a big fuzz out of nothing because someone was not giving you super positiv comments .  But hey... sometimes you get a thumb up and sometimes othewerwise .   You should be mature enough to know that and react accordingly.  I can not believe that John or anyone else got convinced by your example of me " attaching " you . once more I ask you to forgive and forget whatever  happened negatively  on this forum  to your opinion and make this forum a funny and sensable place for SP.         O.K .?

HEXAR

hexar
Re: The relevant fact for SP Exchange

I will always  stand up and post my meaning for  what I really think about any posting and keep posting my pics from the heart.

Have a nice weekend

HEXAR

fad
fad
Re: The relevant fact for SP Exchange
In reply to hexar, Apr 6, 2013

and what a heart!

-- hide signature --

Frank

Alessandro63
Contributing MemberPosts: 785
In reply to hexar, Apr 6, 2013

hexar wrote:

Hexar, "we" is "majestic plural". Not often used in English.

Personally, I don't think you need to apologize for your words. BTW, Frank is obviously missing that you are not native English speaker. When I read your post (I mean the one Fad is insisting on), I thought "prudery" - which is anyway a very different thing from what "they" want to read in it; it is quite evident you didn't accuse anyone of sexual perversion.

I don't agree with your analysis, but I fully respect your sensibility. You have had your style-lapse later, when you aggressively wrote "Did I ask you something ???" to the other guy (xtoph) politely answering to your question. I agree with the moderator that posting that question you could have received answers from anyone reading the thread, and you did. If, in that thread, you have to apologise with anyone, that's xtoph.

Frank: "the ruckus that led to..." has not be started by Hexar, and I am truly surprised a fine brained man like you are is not seeing it. Please, consider I don't know what's behind all that, what's happened earlier to have you so... ready, can't find the word. Hexar posted ONE controversial comment, and ONE bad answer, while you are flooding the forum. And you perfectly know that you're not going to have the moderator removed, nor having Hexar disappear. And I mean Hexar himself as any other guy with a touchy sensibility regarding the obvious, neverending controversial arguments.

The only thing that I end thinking about in this cases is: boy, why is anything sex related so controversial, while we digest enormous quantities of gratuitous violence, including the verbal one I am seeing around here these days???

Get over it. Shake your hands, apologise each other and lets go on.

Best

Alessandro

unknown member
(unknown member)
you are confused
In reply to Alessandro63, Apr 6, 2013

how were you able to make this determination in this climate of deleted posts. even in your own posting history I see a recent deletion.

...so how did you come to this conclusion.

Why dont you start the exchange?

In fact why doesn't hexar start it? ..lol

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads