>>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it? Locked

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
unknown member
(unknown member)
>>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it?
Apr 3, 2013

This thread was one of the pillars of this forum and was an important part of its community.

Where is it?

What have you done?

Zubu Barunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,263Gear list
Well...
In reply to oneANT, Apr 3, 2013

That's enough! Off with their heads!

Your way? All ways here are my ways!

hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Re: Well...
In reply to Zubu Barunda, Apr 3, 2013

Cheers 

HEXAR

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,151Gear list
Re: >>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it?

[Mod Edit:  Off topic discussion deleted.]   http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178165

I imagine no one has reopened the thread because it loses momentum, dynamism and definition without Fad, and ...well, if posts are going to be heavily censored the exchange of images and ideas is kind of throttled. What's the point, ya' know what I mean? There are other sp forums.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
unknown member
(unknown member)
In reply to Sal18, Apr 3, 2013

Sal18 wrote:

[Mod Edit: Off topic discussion deleted.]  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178165

I imagine no one has reopened the thread because it loses momentum, dynamism and definition without Fad, and ...well, if posts are going to be heavily censored the exchange of images and ideas is kind of throttled. What's the point, ya' know what I mean? There are other sp forums.

Sal

No, that thread was important to its passengers, it was a safe place and one of the nicest communities in street photography. You have to be bigger then that, street is bigger than anyone here and anything worth preserving is rare.

Go to the other forums and you will see that what was inside that thread was unlike anywhere else.

Do not discuss moderation, posts have already been deleted here

apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854

oneANT wrote:

This thread was one of the pillars of this forum and was an important part of its community.

Where is it?

What have you done?

All DPReview members are encouraged to start appropriate threads at any time.

You are also encouraged to read the Forum Rules as implemented by the DPReview Administrators:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum-rules

In particular, threads and articles should be "on topic", should be "civil", and should avoid specific prohibited discussions or activities.

Sal18
Re:oneAnt

You said: No, that thread was important to its passengers, it was a safe place and one of the nicest communities in street photography....

Exactly.

Thank you.

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
apaflo
In reply to Sal18, Apr 3, 2013

Sal18 wrote:

You said: No, that thread was important to its passengers, it was a safe place and one of the nicest communities in street photography....

Exactly.

Thank you.

Sal

Lets all work towards making this entire forum a "safe place and one of the nicest" for everyone, not just for those who are the perferred passengers.

Probably most important of all is Rule 5:

"Be civil. Anyone being rude, abusive, calling names or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated. If you think someone is wrong it may be because they are new. Don't jump on them, think first. If you are repeatedly abusive you will be banned from these forums. Specific behavior that will not be tolerated and will result in post removal / banning includes:

Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product orcompany. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it.

Flaming: Insulting, abusive, malicious, personal attacks.

Trolling: Deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait.'

Swearing: Using profanity (or changing characters to bypass our profanity filters)"

I will add that all of that extends also to Private Messages.

fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,271Gear list
In reply to apaflo, Apr 3, 2013

apaflo wrote:

oneANT wrote:

Where is it?

What have you done?

You are also encouraged to read the Forum Rules as implemented by the DPReview Administrators:

In particular, threads and articles should be "on topic", should be "civil", and should avoid specific prohibited discussions or activities.

The statement above seems to me to be a little vague and uninformative.

Could you be more specific?

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
In reply to fad, Apr 3, 2013

fad wrote:

apaflo wrote:

oneANT wrote:

Where is it?

What have you done?

-- hide signature --

Frank

Fad could you please go restart the exchange, I have all your horrible friends out here ...all wandering around lost and bumping into me.

Its horrible.

fad
fad

oneANT wrote:

Fad could you please go restart the exchange, I have all your horrible friends out here ...all wandering around lost and bumping into me.

Its horrible.

Thanks, OneAnt, (and thanks for your kind comment on my blog.)

There are still a few issues we (it's a group effort) have to work out.   We hope to be back soon.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad

apaflo wrote:

Lets all work towards making this entire forum a "safe place and one of the nicest" for everyone, not just for those who are the perferred passengers.

Every ship has its "preferred passengers," I suppose.   Here it would be those that at least some people are happy to see posting.

It is, however, not an exclusive club.   I was welcomed in on the very first day, it seemed.

Here is a first go at the rules for being preferred by other forum members:

1.   Show love for street photography.  This can't be faked.

2.   Post good pictures.  (Now this can take years to master.)   More importantly, show that you are trying to make better pictures.   The two best artists here are the most open to my unsparing criticism, even though they may agree only a small percentage of the time.   It is that openness, and detachment, that makes them good artists.

3.  Be generous in sharing useful information (and avoid sharing bad information.)

4.  Be respectful of members, even in heated disagreement.

5.  Try to avoid downers, such as dishonesty, flame-baiting, puffing oneself up at the expense of others, and disgruntled jealousy.  People "prefer" not to have to encounter that kind of thing.

In my experience, only a few weeks of following these "rules" can make anyone a "preferred member."

-- hide signature --

Frank

Xara
Regular MemberPosts: 109

fad wrote:

apaflo wrote:

oneANT wrote:

Where is it?

What have you done?

-- hide signature --

Frank

Quite the contrary Frank, it is not vague at all. What is says is very clear - that the forum is run like a totalitarian banana republic where the people are battered into submission and have no voice at all and the Street Photography eXchange for no apparent reason is deemed not to be an appropriate thread.

By the way, what happened to Sal’s post? It has vanished into thin air!

apaflo

fad wrote:

apaflo wrote:

oneANT wrote:

Where is it?

What have you done?

Which specific part of the rules are you having a hard time understanding Frank?

The above was a specific reference to rules number 7 and 5 in regard to on topic and being civil, respectively.  There are several rules that prohibit specific discussions, rules 2, 5, and rules 8 through 21 also include prohibited activities.

Please read the rules and follow them!

Please note that a general discussion of the Forum Rules would be on topic in the Open Talk forum, and you are encouraged to read and/or post about this in that forum.  We are not going to get into a major discussion of the forum rules here.

And of course anyone can PM me for further personal discussion.

Still Young
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354
Waiting for the re-union...

Sal18
In reply to Xara, Apr 3, 2013

Xara wrote:

By the way, what happened to Sal’s post? It has vanished into thin air!

Uhh...you will just have to guess. I can't tell you for fear of being banned.

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
apaflo

fad wrote:

apaflo wrote:

Every ship has its "preferred passengers," I suppose.   Here it would be those that at least some people are happy to see posting.

It is, however, not an exclusive club.   I was welcomed in on the very first day, it seemed.

Here is a first go at the rules for being preferred by other forum members:

1.   Show love for street photography.  This can't be faked.

That is not and cannot be made a requirement for posting in this forum.

2.   Post good pictures.  (Now this can take years to master.)   More importantly, show that you are trying to make better pictures.   The two best artists here are the most open to my unsparing criticism, even though they may agree only a small percentage of the time.   It is that openness, and detachment, that makes them good artists.

3.  Be generous in sharing useful information (and avoid sharing bad information.)

4.  Be respectful of members, even in heated disagreement.

That is in fact a requirement in this forum.  See Rule #5.

5.  Try to avoid downers, such as dishonesty, flame-baiting, puffing oneself up at the expense of others, and disgruntled jealousy.  People "prefer" not to have to encounter that kind of thing.

Most of that is in fact a requirement in this forum.  See Rule #5.

In my experience, only a few weeks of following these "rules" can make anyone a "preferred member."

You cannot enforce your set of rules on other members via activities that do not meet with the requirements of Rule #5.

Discussion of rules other than those set by the DPReview Administration are off topic.

Sal18
Re: Waiting for the re-union...
In reply to Still Young, Apr 3, 2013

You are SO good, Still. A picture is worth a thousand words, specially yours.

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
Sal18

Frank said: Here is a first go at the rules for being preferred by other forum members:

He offered guidance on how to be preferred. I don't see where he said anything about rules for posting.

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
Still Young
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354
And someone took my picture yesterday…

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads