Do you leave your A77 (or other SLT/SLR) behind when you go on holiday?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Tom2572
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?
Do you leave your A77 (or other SLT/SLR) behind when you go on holiday?
Apr 2, 2013

I have an A77 and a NEX-5R, both of which are upgrades from previously owned A65 and NEX-5n and both see about equal use for all the usual reasons such as bringing the NEX along when I want to be discrete and bringing the A77 when I plan to focus more or exclusively on photography. When I had the A65 and the 5N I never thought twice about taking the 5N on vacation and assumed that would still be the case with the 5R, but I've grown quite fond of the A77 and now that I have a trip to NYC coming up I'm rethinking my strategy. I have what I believe to be the right lenses (for me) for each camera so that isn't an issue.

So, throwing the question out there, do you feel comfortable leaving your best camera behind when you go on vacation?

NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
success100
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you leave your A77 (or other SLT/SLR) behind when you go on holiday?
In reply to Tom2572, Apr 2, 2013

Tom2572 wrote:

I have an A77 and a NEX-5R, both of which are upgrades from previously owned A65 and NEX-5n and both see about equal use for all the usual reasons such as bringing the NEX along when I want to be discrete and bringing the A77 when I plan to focus more or exclusively on photography. When I had the A65 and the 5N I never thought twice about taking the 5N on vacation and assumed that would still be the case with the 5R, but I've grown quite fond of the A77 and now that I have a trip to NYC coming up I'm rethinking my strategy. I have what I believe to be the right lenses (for me) for each camera so that isn't an issue.

So, throwing the question out there, do you feel comfortable leaving your best camera behind when you go on vacation?

I take my a77 everywhere lol. I dont care if im just going to the store. Anytime I dont take my camera I ALWAYS see something and go "D*MN I WISH I WOULD HAVE BROUGHT MY CAMERA".

Sometimes I dont like the attention but at the end of the day its a great hobby of mine, and what someone thinks of it really doesnt matter to me. Just my .02. My vote? TAKE IT! unless you would PREFER to carry your nex vs a77

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
james2k50
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
Depends on the purpose...

I'm like you except that I kept my A65 I also have a Canon SX 40 HS and my handy Samsung Galaxy S3 for the "point and shoot stuff". Sometimes I just want to relax and be more "casual" about my photography so I am fine with my cell phone. It does a remarkable job and I know its limitations. I don't worry about the shots I missed, when I have a less serious camera with me. But that's not what it is of most importance. When you limit yourself with the gear you have, then you become more "creative".

James

http://jamesjdoucette.zenfolio.com/

james2k50's gear list:james2k50's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
john farrar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,038Gear list
Like?
Re: Depends on the purpose...
In reply to james2k50, Apr 2, 2013

james2k50 wrote:

When you limit yourself with the gear you have, then you become more "creative".

I think you're right there... when you work at 'helping' a cellphone or a compact you're thinking more about the photo than you would be just using a DSLR in AP mode.  Certainly if you don't take all your DSLR lenses you'll do more zooming by foot and as a result see more of the surroundings.

I took a little Canon s400 to the other side of the world and left the SLR at home. I enjoyed the expereince and I might even do something similar again. Very different matter if you're being sponsored of course.

John.
Please visit me at:
http://www.pbase.com/johnfr/sony_18135
http://www.pbase.com/johnfr/digital_dartmoor

OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to james2k50, Apr 2, 2013

I should then get a box of paints. Creative or what. Maybe a chisel and a cave@! LOL
--
John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit

Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868Gear list
Like?
In reply to OntarioJohn, Apr 2, 2013

I often leave the a77 at home in favour of the a35 or a37.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +18 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,643
Like?
Re: Do you leave your (... other SLT/SLR) behind when you go on holiday?

I do not. I've been using an A55 for more than two years now. I find it an ideal size for portability without sacrificing image quality, and it provides features not available in the NEX series.

Slick Fork
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom2572, Apr 3, 2013

Nope, I always take it with me.  I don't take all my lenses, I try to limit myself to just what's going to be most useful.

I paid too money for my camera for it to gather dust on the shelf!

9000AF
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

When traveling light I pack the RX100 and/or Fujifilm X-E1. I only drag the A77 along when I need long lenses or AF speed.

9000AF's gear list:9000AF's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77
ChefAlex
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to Slick Fork, Apr 3, 2013

Slick Fork wrote:

Nope, I always take it with me.  I don't take all my lenses, I try to limit myself to just what's going to be most useful.

I paid too money for my camera for it to gather dust on the shelf!

I like the way you said it Slick!

I personally haven't taken it on vacation yet as it's still new but I would! I paid way too much for a camera to stay at home. I would prefer quality over being a little lighter.  Honestly, the camera isn't that heavy... MUCH lighter than what my Canon 7D was.

ChefAlex's gear list:ChefAlex's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

Nope. Then again, my A390 is fairly small as SLRs go, both the Minolta 50/1.7 and Sony 55-200 are both small lenses, all things considered, and I seldom go out from where I'm staying with both lenses at the same time so the full kit is hardly what one would call "bothersome".

Besides, as an income-deprived amateur, the number of portrait sessions I do in a year alone wouldn't be enough to justify owning a SLR, so I've gotta get my money's worth in some other way

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot A1200 Samsung TL500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,061Gear list
Like?
Yes.

Tom2572 wrote:

The Fuji X-Pro1 goes with me. But I don't consider leaving the DSLR to be my best camera. Small, discreet, non-intimidating cams are absolutely fantastic. I also like taking fixed focal length lenses when I travel.

(I don't understand/know why you see a difference between the A65 and A77.)

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Tom2572
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?
Re: Yes.
In reply to liquid stereo, Apr 3, 2013

liquid stereo wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

The Fuji X-Pro1 goes with me. But I don't consider leaving the DSLR to be my best camera. Small, discreet, non-intimidating cams are absolutely fantastic. I also like taking fixed focal length lenses when I travel.

Depends on what criteria you use to compare them. In terms of IQ there is no difference other than gaining ISO 50 with the A77, but as a person who uses mostly Minolta lenses the micro adjust feature of the A77 alone resurrected 3 lenses that I had stopped using with the A65 because they would never focus properly on that body. So, ymmv and I am not saying the A77 is better for everyone, but for me the differences are huge.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,917
Like?

I take my SLT system when all or at least a significant part of the trip is dedicated to photography.   Otherwise, I take my NEX system.   One thing that has worked well for me lately is taking the LAEA2 adapter along with 1 or 2 A mount lenses.   It does add some weight but I have better AF if needed and the A mount lenses usually complement the E mount lenses that I take.

Jethro777
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?

I found the use of the CSLR strap and the A77 to be utterly irresistible.

You can 'sling' the camera so that it is at your right side, just at your back, and when you need it, you pull it up and take a shot, while still having two hands free.

I guess what I am saying is that if it is easier to carry with you, you are less likely to find taking it an annoyance, or a bother because of its size.

Jethro777's gear list:Jethro777's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Sony SLT-A65
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
With the advent of mirrorless, yes

I bought my first mirrorless with the Panasonic GF1 a few years ago.  That was when I stopped carrying my DSLR everywhere.

I have still not found a mirrorless that fully meets my needs, but we are starting to get closer.

I currently have a Panasonic GX1 and an NEX-6.

The GX1 fits almost all my needs, save for one big need... no builtin EVF.

I bought the NEX-6 to get a builtin EVF.  The EVF I like, but the GX1 is an overall better camera.

My DSLR now only does studio work.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?

Tom2572 wrote:

Yes I do. Though I love my A77, 16-50 f/2.8, Minolta 28-135 "secret handshake", Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO and HVL F58AM, I am not out of options whith my smaller camera stuff. I also own three NEX cameras and 45+ legacy lenses ranging from small rangefinders to big clunky Zeiss SLR. No limits more than my imagination and my own back.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?

I have had many compacts and wind up never using them and grabbing the a99. It's really not that heavy and I am not to old and weak to carry it all day. So no more compacts for me. Although I do have a couple of RF film cameras I still like to use every now and then.

Claudio Galli
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, Apr 3, 2013

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

Yes I do. Though I love my A77, 16-50 f/2.8, Minolta 28-135 "secret handshake", Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO and HVL F58AM, I am not out of options whith my smaller camera stuff. I also own three NEX cameras and 45+ legacy lenses ranging from small rangefinders to big clunky Zeiss SLR. No limits more than my imagination and my own back.

Dear Beaverhelmet (I know is not not your name, but I do not have the real one!)

As I am not totally satisfied with my DT 18-250 (IQ wise) I am planning to use my old Minolta 28-135 (which I already have and that in my opinion is a good lens) mated with a Sony 16-50, which I am planning to buy. I know that the 28-135 doesn't have the same zoom range of the 18-250, but I think to compensate the low end with the 16-50 and the high end, if really necessary, with cropping (with the A77 and the 28-135 it shouldn't be a problem). Obviously I have to use two lenses instead of one. My intention is to keep the 16-50 on the camera, as a walk around/standard lens, and use the 28-135 if I need more reach. Having you both lenses, from your experience do you suggest such approach?

Thanks,

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes.

Tom2572 wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

Depends on what criteria you use to compare them. In terms of IQ there is no difference other than gaining ISO 50 with the A77, but as a person who uses mostly Minolta lenses the micro adjust feature of the A77 alone resurrected 3 lenses that I had stopped using with the A65 because they would never focus properly on that body. So, ymmv and I am not saying the A77 is better for everyone, but for me the differences are huge.

True. That might be significant factor, as you described.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads