printing rip for IMAC

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Kevin G.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: Sharpening tools, not RIP
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 5, 2013

I'm in the ame boat as the OP and have acuallymaintained a PC in order t use Qimage  after I got my iMac.  I'd be i terested to hear what the equivelant Mac programs are that a few posters have mentioned.

I've triedhotoshop and LR and both were horrible in terms of ease of use.  Qimage automatically up rezes/ down rezes depending on output size.  Centering/maximizing prints to paper is also easy - i also found color rendition in Qimage to be better.

When I tried PS for printing, it was a hassle just to get the print centered on a sheet of paper, much less primt multiple images to a sheet, and all this after having to prepare the image first for it's intended size for printing.  Am I missing something as far as programs on Mac can do these things with ease?

thanks,

Kevin

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,149Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin G., Apr 5, 2013

From what I can glean from several years of forum members talking about Qimage, the positives all seem to fall into these categories.  Easy and flexible setups for multiple images on a sheet of paper, an advanced "frequency" dependent sharpening algorithm, and built in "up-rezing".  The only thing that current, modern image processing programs on the Mac don't have, is the specific sharpening algorithm used by Qimage.  Unfortunately, the developer of Qimage absolutely will not develop a Mac version, despite many, many requests to do so.  So... what to do.  As suggested before, simply running the software in a virtual machine, using something like Fusion or Parallels would do the job, although it adds complexity to your system install, and a few more things to learn, maintain. So I think it would be worthwhile for you to try nik Sharpener Pro or a similar plugin.

It might be worthwhile for you to describe your workflow on a typical image from start to finish so that we could recommend a rational workflow using a sharpening algorithm.  By the way, the latest version of Photoshop has better multi-image print setup, and does a great job of up-rezzing.  Also, LR or Aperture have much easier and better ways to create different image formats for printing.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 5, 2013

P.S.  Photokit Sharpener (PK Sharpen) was developed and maintained by the two authors of the seminal book on Sharpening for all computers.  All of these sharpening plugins have free trials.  Some even work as stand alone programs.

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Kevin G.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 5, 2013

Thanks Alpha Doug - I presume you were answering me and not the OP.  in any case, I wasn't that concerned with sharpening so much - I take care of that before printing, with size in mind.  Admititely I haven't usd PS for printing in quite some time, and not in CS5 which I use now.  I am planning on geting a new Macbook Pro  ( I have an older iMac now which I'll kepp) and I'll definately will give Aperture a try if  it auto uprezes like you say (as well as easier image placement on the page).   If all works out, I can use my old pc as a planter or boat anchor. Although i DO love Qimage, I can understand why Mike Chaney doesn't want to write it for Mac.

Thanks Doug,

Kevin

-- hide signature --
Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to Kevin G., Apr 5, 2013

Glad it helped for your needs Kevin, but I'm also answering the OP.  Don't expect using Aperture and a sharpening plugin to be "exactly" like using Qimage, but I think it's safe to say that in the last 5 years, software other than Qimage has become better in almost every way.  I still like to print from PS, but that is mostly habit, and the fact that I believe it gives me more options and control.

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Erik Bailey
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 5, 2013

Have been using Qimage for years with my PC; however, I am switching to an Imac and this is one program that I will miss a great deal. (won't work with Mac's).

Any suggestions?  I have been googling around but so far what I have found is a bit difficult to understand. I will of course download trial versions when the computer arrives but thought I would check if any one had any high marks for anything in particular.

Thanks.

I was in the same position (10+ year user of Qimage), and I have found an application that I am very happy with: ImageNest.

I wrote a post about it on a similar thread in the Printers forum a few months ago (Mac Printing Software) - look at the last post in the thread.

Hope this helps! --Erik Bailey

Erik Bailey's gear list:Erik Bailey's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads