printing rip for IMAC

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
printing rip for IMAC
Apr 2, 2013

Have been using Qimage for years with my PC; however, I am switching to an Imac and this is one program that I will miss a great deal. (won't work with Mac's).

Any suggestions?  I have been googling around but so far what I have found is a bit difficult to understand. I will of course download trial versions when the computer arrives but thought I would check if any one had any high marks for anything in particular.

Thanks.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,625
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 2, 2013

download/use a virtual machine (Fusion/Parallels/Virtualbox) and run Win7/Qimage in that on the Mac if you really must have it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 3, 2013

thanks, I have been struggling with the idea of running a program that will allow windows, but thought it would compound the learning curve. However, if that is the only option for a few programs I may need to re think this issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MacXTi
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 3, 2013

Maybe you should describe what the program does so well that you are wanting done on the Mac.

-- hide signature --

Rory

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,625
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 3, 2013

Well, it's the 'sanest' option.  Virtualbox is completely free ($0) so you can easily road test that as long as you have a copy of Win7 or even XP.  There will be a learning curve but certainly not as much as learning a new RIP-'ish' application.  You could try BlueCubit or TurboPrint

jacquelyn wrote:

thanks, I have been struggling with the idea of running a program that will allow windows, but thought it would compound the learning curve. However, if that is the only option for a few programs I may need to re think this issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 3, 2013

I have copies of both xp and windows7 so that isn't an issue.

You have been very helpful in giving me information to help in my decision.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to MacXTi, Apr 3, 2013

Perhaps it is a matter of familiarity as I have been using it for years.

However, I tested it before purchased years ago and it made a difference in the print quality.

Sharper images (and I am a sharpness freak ), allows printing layouts , printing tiff files, and even RAW if one likes. At a reasonable price.

With my research I found something for Mac's but it was a huge difference in price and the tutorial wasn't as easy to understand.

Just a few reasons.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,455
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 3, 2013

jacquelyn wrote:

Perhaps it is a matter of familiarity as I have been using it for years.

However, I tested it before purchased years ago and it made a difference in the print quality.

What were you using before it?

Sharper images (and I am a sharpness freak ), allows printing layouts , printing tiff files, and even RAW if one likes. At a reasonable price.

All of that can be done with Mac native software, and likely do a better job too. I use Lightroom but there are many options.

With my research I found something for Mac's but it was a huge difference in price and the tutorial wasn't as easy to understand.

What software was that? Even iPhoto can do what you listed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 3, 2013

Yes, what gaussian blur said. The reason there's never been anything like q-image for mac is that the demand just isn't there, because OS X never had the printing challenges that windows had. The idea of needing a program just for printing is very alien to mac users who aren't windows switchers, although mac printing isn't without its own pitfalls.

The reason the mac rip you found is so costly is probably that it's some kind of a commercial  program.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 3, 2013

I have been using Qimage

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to Conchita, Apr 3, 2013

I understand about supply and demand as well as what these programs for a Mac bring to the commerical enivornment.

However, for my workflow I don't want to print from either LR or PS. LR I don't care for which I realize is probably strange for most folks these days.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 3, 2013

Am sure the learning curve will be fun when the computer arrives, and I will find a lot of things that may be available that will leave other software in the dust.

Just have been doing a lot of printing this weekend when it hit me that Qimage was not going to be an easy changing of a licenses.

thanks to all for your tips and suggestions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 4, 2013

gaussian blur wrote:

jacquelyn wrote:

Perhaps it is a matter of familiarity as I have been using it for years.

However, I tested it before purchased years ago and it made a difference in the print quality.

What were you using before it?

Sharper images (and I am a sharpness freak ), allows printing layouts , printing tiff files, and even RAW if one likes. At a reasonable price.

All of that can be done with Mac native software, and likely do a better job too. I use Lightroom but there are many options.

With my research I found something for Mac's but it was a huge difference in price and the tutorial wasn't as easy to understand.

What software was that? Even iPhoto can do what you listed.

This is dismissing the original poster too quickly. Qimage is serious software, and to lump its capabilities in with iPhoto is to greatly oversimplify the comparison. The people who use Qimage to set up advanced fine art printing, and the printing services who gang up customer jobs with Qimage, for example, would find their needs not met in the least by iPhoto.

The plain fact is that there is no Mac equivalent for Qimage, just as there is no Mac equivalent for ProShow Gold (another powerful application that Windows ask Mac users ask about, but get incorrect answers for).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,455
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 4, 2013

jacquelyn wrote:

I have been using Qimage

Right, but you said Qimage made a difference in the print quality. My question is compared to what?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,455
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to graybalanced, Apr 4, 2013

graybalanced wrote:

Sharper images (and I am a sharpness freak ), allows printing layouts , printing tiff files, and even RAW if one likes. At a reasonable price.

All of that can be done with Mac native software, and likely do a better job too. I use Lightroom but there are many options.

With my research I found something for Mac's but it was a huge difference in price and the tutorial wasn't as easy to understand.

What software was that? Even iPhoto can do what you listed.

This is dismissing the original poster too quickly. Qimage is serious software, and to lump its capabilities in with iPhoto is to greatly oversimplify the comparison. The people who use Qimage to set up advanced fine art printing, and the printing services who gang up customer jobs with Qimage, for example, would find their needs not met in the least by iPhoto.

I'm not suggesting someone use iPhoto instead of Qimage. What I'm saying is the list of things jacquelyn said were important are not unique or even hard to do. If something low end like iPhoto can do it (which it can), then higher end apps can certainly do it, and quite a bit more.

The plain fact is that there is no Mac equivalent for Qimage,

There's no need for Qimage on the Mac, that's why. Nothing it does can't be done with existing Mac software. Plus the author won't write it since he hates Apple.

just as there is no Mac equivalent for ProShow Gold (another powerful application that Windows ask Mac users ask about, but get incorrect answers for).

What incorrect answers do Mac users get about ProShow Gold? There's no Mac version, but there are several other slide show apps that do run on the Mac.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 4, 2013

gaussian blur wrote:

graybalanced wrote:

Sharper images (and I am a sharpness freak ), allows printing layouts , printing tiff files, and even RAW if one likes. At a reasonable price.

All of that can be done with Mac native software, and likely do a better job too. I use Lightroom but there are many options.

With my research I found something for Mac's but it was a huge difference in price and the tutorial wasn't as easy to understand.

What software was that? Even iPhoto can do what you listed.

This is dismissing the original poster too quickly. Qimage is serious software, and to lump its capabilities in with iPhoto is to greatly oversimplify the comparison. The people who use Qimage to set up advanced fine art printing, and the printing services who gang up customer jobs with Qimage, for example, would find their needs not met in the least by iPhoto.

I'm not suggesting someone use iPhoto instead of Qimage. What I'm saying is the list of things jacquelyn said were important are not unique or even hard to do. If something low end like iPhoto can do it (which it can), then higher end apps can certainly do it, and quite a bit more.

The plain fact is that there is no Mac equivalent for Qimage,

There's no need for Qimage on the Mac, that's why. Nothing it does can't be done with existing Mac software. Plus the author won't write it since he hates Apple.

just as there is no Mac equivalent for ProShow Gold (another powerful application that Windows ask Mac users ask about, but get incorrect answers for).

What incorrect answers do Mac users get about ProShow Gold? There's no Mac version, but there are several other slide show apps that do run on the Mac.

Ditto .... graybalanced stated the situation very well. There are many Mac Users that have chosen to use outstanding PC applications like Qimage and ProShow Gold on their Macs, because these applications are so good at what they do.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/support.htm

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 4, 2013

I ran test using Qimage vs Photoshop on controlled files and the Qimage prints where sharper, and as a sharpness 'fool" that is important.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,625
Like?
Re: printing rip for IMAC
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 4, 2013

IMO, much depends on how you ran your test(s).  There are a number of sharpening options and many parameters and techniques you can use/set in PS, not to mention external plug-ins like PixelGenius, NIK, Topaz that can create myriad results from bad to good to great, esp. if you're an adherent to the 3pass (capture, creative, output) sharpening workflow idea.

jacquelyn wrote:

I ran test using Qimage vs Photoshop on controlled files and the Qimage prints where sharper, and as a sharpness 'fool" that is important.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,505Gear list
Like?
Sharpening tools, not RIP
In reply to jacquelyn, Apr 5, 2013

My friend uses ImagePrint ($1500). I use Topaz/Nik plugins to sharpen and then print straight from Aperture up to 16"x24" on my Epson 4000. There's very little difference in sharpness, or even overall print quality. If sharpness is your thing, you don't need a RIP to get it. You just need good sharpening tools in your image editor. Unsharp Mask in Photoshop doesn't count.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

 Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: Sharpening tools, not RIP
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Apr 5, 2013

good to know, as I have those tools available as well.

I will give it a trial run when I get everything set  up as I want to keep the workflow as simple as possible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads