Lens for Museum(s)

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
PLSrnr
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Lens for Museum(s)
Apr 2, 2013

Happy Spring!

While awaiting shipment of my Fuji XE-1/18-55 from B&H I'm planning additional lens purchases!

Are folks who own the 60mm 2.4 Macro and/or the 35mm 1.4 using them for Museum photography? We will be traveling to France next winter and will be visiting the Louvre, Notre Dame, L'Orangerie among others sites.

On a previous trip I used a Canon S90 indoors with good to excellent results but remember having issues with getting high enough shutter speeds to avoid blur.

While I'll eventually acquire the 55-200 in addition to the 18-55 I'm wondering about a prime to use indoors- my thinking about the 35 1.4 is that it may well be too wide. On the other hand, the 60mm may be too long.

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

PLSrnr's gear list:PLSrnr's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 450D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Canon PowerShot S90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens for Museum(s)
In reply to PLSrnr, Apr 2, 2013

Depending on what you are shooting a wide lens might be more useful to compliment the zoom. Light is low in a museum so high ISO, and either a fast lens wide open, or stabilized lens like the zoom, is often needed

Below is a show at 13mm APC sensor of a famous Andy Warhol, "Soup Cans"

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the response, and the photo!

13mm (APS-C sensor?) certainly looks fine, if a bit dim.

In terms of convenience the kit lens would more than meet my needs, and it has IS! At the range needed for close-ups, in a place like the Louvre or worse, Notre Dame/Sacre Coeur, I'm not so sure. Hopefully someone who has photographed there can "shed some light" on the pros and cons!

Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 450D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
e268
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?

I took these in the British Museum.  Most of them are at 18mm (my zoom).  I would think 14 mm would be better.  You will be standing close to the subject, hence need a wide angle lens.

PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to e268, Apr 2, 2013

I agree 100%. voted + 1 good shots!!! 

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to e268, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the reply e268!

Gorgeous photos! At 3200 ISO and wide open I'm guessing no flash?

Certainly the Fuji kit lens rocks! OTOH while expensive, the 14 2.8 sounds like another option and would meet the need for architecture/low-light shooting!

Jonavin
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?

I was at the Museum and found the usual 18mm on crop sensor not wide enough and I was constantly wishing for something wider.. The 14mm would be better suited.

Jonavin's gear list:Jonavin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Aussiemarco
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?

I've also taken truckloads of photos in the British Museum with the 18-55 kit lens, and the results are spectacular. Saying that I'd love to try out the 35mm in a museum. I can post a few photos in a week or so. (Sorry, loosing the Internet tomorrow due to moving house.)

Marco

e268
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?

PLSrnr wrote:

Thanks for the reply e268!

Gorgeous photos! At 3200 ISO and wide open I'm guessing no flash?

Certainly the Fuji kit lens rocks! OTOH while expensive, the 14 2.8 sounds like another option and would meet the need for architecture/low-light shooting!

No flash, hand held, no pp, just OOC.  The 18-55 is worth the money.  I'll wait the the 10-24 zoom, but it will be next year, and hope it will be just as good.

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,950Gear list
Like?
[NSFW] What do you want to do in museums?

Are you interested in reproductions, photos of people/friends in the galleries, all of the above? I think your 18-55 will work perfectly.

I like the X100 and the XF 35/1.4

X100

X-Pro1

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
ahmami
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?

PLSrnr wrote:

Happy Spring!

Are folks who own the 60mm 2.4 Macro and/or the 35mm 1.4 using them for Museum photography? We will be traveling to France next winter and will be visiting the Louvre, Notre Dame, L'Orangerie among others sites.

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Any old lens will do But seriously, try going to the museums without a camera or keep it in your bag. Be the exception. Plus you will enjoy the art more. I always end up thinking I should have left my camera at home when visiting museums.

Enjoy your trip.

-- hide signature --
flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991Gear list
Like?
In reply to ahmami, Apr 3, 2013

f1.4 35 mm will give you 2 stops of light. the 18-55 gives 3 stops due to image stabilization which is ok on non moving museum shots.

Not saying don't get the 35 but for your stated purpose, the zoom will work well imo.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Below is a link to a slide show of some of my snaps (you may have to copy and paste)

http://briandrinkwater.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Slide-Shows/28194522_dDKzmW#!i=2384402388&k=TJmRb5p

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Michel Jarry
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
In reply to PLSrnr, Apr 3, 2013

I shot all of these with the Fuji x100 I had (awaiting for the X100S)... Some at the Montreal Fine Art Museum and others in Vegas.

I think that the x100's 35mm (FF equivalent) f/2 really worked well.

Michel Jarry (from Montreal)

-- hide signature --

M. J.
D4, D800 + a bunch of lenses, lights and accessories, NPS Member

Michel Jarry's gear list:Michel Jarry's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michel Jarry, Apr 3, 2013

I've very happy to carry just the 2/35 ZM Biogon. It's light, small and sharp. That will get me along for 99% of the shots I'd like to make.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,950Gear list
Like?
BTW - sculpture not real flesh
In reply to liquid stereo, Apr 3, 2013

It may be NSFW but its not real. Its a sculpture.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?

Photographic artwork (formally) or just even a copywork is a discipline of its own, and I sort of doubt that it's possible to to do a proper job handheld with a small camera, and without any control over lighting (this is what I do for living).

This does not mean you can't take some great images though! Just bring the lens you are the most in love with Re: your question - XF 60mm is going to be a pain in a dimly lit environment... and the focal length is not necessarily right for shooting larger pieces. I'd bring a zoom.

PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to Imagefoundry, Apr 3, 2013

Imagefoundry wrote:

"Re: your question - XF 60mm is going to be a pain in a dimly lit environment... and the focal length is not necessarily right for shooting larger pieces. I'd bring a zoom."

Thanks for your reply!

The consensus seems to be that the 18-55 is more than adequate, with several "attaboys" for the 14mm. As I shoot quite a bit of landscape and the Fuji 10-24 has been rescheduled for next year (at least according to this forum) the wide prime sounds like a good choice as well!

B&H starts shipping again tomorrow so the countdown begins! Just as an aside, the only book specific to the XE-1 (Rico Pfirstinger) has not yet been published, so I guess I'd better hit the manual hard for the next few days!

Question answered!!

PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to ahmami, Apr 3, 2013

ahmami wrote:

Any old lens will do But seriously, try going to the museums without a camera or keep it in your bag. Be the exception. Plus you will enjoy the art more. I always end up thinking I should have left my camera at home when visiting museums.

Enjoy your trip.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for your reply!

While I agree in principle we won't be returning to Paris anytime soon after this trip! Living near San Francisco, I frequently visit MOMA without a camera on my person. But SF is an hour away, depending on traffic!

That said, I often return to a particular place for photography after visiting and "seeing with my eyes" a couple of times!

PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to flbrit, Apr 3, 2013

flbrit wrote:

-- hide signature --

Brian

Below is a link to a slide show of some of my snaps (you may have to copy and paste)

http://briandrinkwater.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Slide-Shows/28194522_dDKzmW#!i=2384402388&k=TJmRb5p

Thanks for the reply and the post!

The images I saw were gorgeous, though I'm not completely sure I am a fan of Smugmug's new slideshow! (I had a Pro account on SM for several years and never saw anything like your slideshow presentation! Is this a new feature/option?

1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?

What are you going to shoot in the museums?

or

I personally find it quite strange when people are trying to shoot pieces of art instead of enjoyng the art itself. You can get vastly better images by buying a museum's catalogue.

Shooting people in museums is quite the different story. It can be really fun

-- hide signature --

Moscow VR blog - http://1drey.wordpress.com

1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads