Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!
Apr 2, 2013

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

I had my D800 at the office today because my friend claimed his Sigma 50mm 1.4 was not focusing on his D5100. I did some lens swapping, corrected some dirty contacts and all was well.

Then I grabbed a few quick shots with the D800 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8G wide open, targeted the eye and WHAMO half of the shots were front/back focused. This was under a mix of office/fluorescent lights. Of course this is the sort of issue many have reported, especially at 1.4 or 1.8.

Then I logged into these forums and spotted the FW update. I had no expectation for an improvement, but I updated the camera anyway.

Under the exact same lighting I shot again and WHAMO, focus was NAILED every time. I'm going to do more tests, but I really tried to get the AF to miss and it did not.

I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic! The 85mm 1.4 and 1.8 will be tried next...two lenses that really gave me fits on this camera. I'll report back.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D5100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145
Like?
Re: D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 2, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

I had my D800 at the office today because my friend claimed his Sigma 50mm 1.4 was not focusing on his D5100. I did some lens swapping, corrected some dirty contacts and all was well.

Then I grabbed a few quick shots with the D800 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8G wide open, targeted the eye and WHAMO half of the shots were front/back focused. This was under a mix of office/fluorescent lights. Of course this is the sort of issue many have reported, especially at 1.4 or 1.8.

Then I logged into these forums and spotted the FW update. I had no expectation for an improvement, but I updated the camera anyway.

Under the exact same lighting I shot again and WHAMO, focus was NAILED every time. I'm going to do more tests, but I really tried to get the AF to miss and it did not.

I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic! The 85mm 1.4 and 1.8 will be tried next...two lenses that really gave me fits on this camera. I'll report back.

Robert

Interesting on Nikon's own site they only mention improvements to AF-C. Why do they have to lie? Why not just say both are improved?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
In reply to primeshooter, Apr 2, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

Robert

Interesting on Nikon's own site they only mention improvements to AF-C. Why do they have to lie? Why not just say both are improved?

I can't imagine how you could improve ONLY AF-C since they both operate the same way.

I'm going to test more lenses under weak window light/tungsten in an hour. That lighting made the AF on the D800 very dodgy. 50-60% hit rate was the best I could hope for using eyes as a target.

We'll see what we see.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Joe P Doyle
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

Robert

I also noticed a significant improvement on all points from the outer left to right, each one nailed it with AFS 85mm 1.4, happy bunny.

It seems more responsive in focusing and locks on accurately with less hunting.

AF doesn't get a mention, else lose some face and vindicate everyone who has had problems.

To be honest this was also the case with D700, after first firmware update all issues resolved and a solid camera from there on.

It's perfect timing for me as wedding season starting soon.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.pbase.com/joed
www.jofoto.co.uk
A Wedding Photographer A People Person

primeshooter
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

Robert

I can't imagine how you could improve ONLY AF-C since they both operate the same way.

I'm going to test more lenses under weak window light/tungsten in an hour. That lighting made the AF on the D800 very dodgy. 50-60% hit rate was the best I could hope for using eyes as a target.

We'll see what we see.

Robert

I'm not saying it's possible, I just mean, why aren't they honest? They've admitted AF-C was updated.

primeshooter
Like?
In reply to Joe P Doyle, Apr 2, 2013

Joe P Doyle wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

Robert

I also noticed a significant improvement on all points from the outer left to right, each one nailed it with AFS 85mm 1.4, happy bunny.

AF doesn't get a mention, else lose some face and vindicate everyone who has had problems.

To be honest this was also the case with D700, after first firmware update all issues resolved and a solid camera from there on.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.pbase.com/joed
www.jofoto.co.uk

But AF DID get a mention. Have a look at their site. They are only admitting to AF-C improvements which I find "queer".

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,765Gear list
Like?
They always do that

primeshooter wrote:

It is very common. There have been many instances where Nikon fixed/improved on things that they never reported in the Release Notes of the firmware update. Nikon is well known for such hidden/secret improvements.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
John4
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?

Perhaps admitting something has been fixed is equivalent to admitting something was wrong, which they have often avoided.

Joe P Doyle
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?

primeshooter wrote:

Joe P Doyle wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

Robert

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.pbase.com/joed
www.jofoto.co.uk

But AF DID get a mention. Have a look at their site. They are only admitting to AF-C improvements which I find "queer".

Haha, If you where selling a product would you admit to AFS fault that you could fix later ?

Stop selling and run up huge costs from release date to now ?

Or would you sugar coat it as AFC fix, I love being a consumer :~)

Nonetheless a very happy bunny now.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.pbase.com/joed
www.jofoto.co.uk

primeshooter
Like?
In reply to John4, Apr 2, 2013

John4 wrote:

Perhaps admitting something has been fixed is equivalent to admitting something was wrong, which they have often avoided.

So, they are admitting that AF-C was wrong then aren't they. Do you see what I mean? Why not just say general AF improvements?

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,906
Like?

Hi Robert,

We're all a bit crazy, the bad thing is when you're hurting people with it

You're absolutely right. I'm never a big fan of installing immediately the latest firmware of any kind of electronic thing I have to depend on. But after reading some tweets with uber positive comments about the performance I thought to give it a try. It's indeed noticeable better, especially faster in tracking.

Michel

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

Robert

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

M Lammerse
Like?
Re: They always do that
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 2, 2013

You make it sound like Nikon is unique in it or maybe even suggesting with it, that it is a 'Japanese' thing.

Many companies do this, and non related to country or camera specific.

Michel

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

It is very common. There have been many instances where Nikon fixed/improved on things that they never reported in the Release Notes of the firmware update. Nikon is well known for such hidden/secret improvements.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

primeshooter
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, Apr 2, 2013

M Lammerse wrote:

You make it sound like Nikon is unique in it or maybe even suggesting with it, that it is a 'Japanese' thing.

Michel

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Yeah, but why mention that AF-C is better then. Why not just fix that, and not say, as with AF-S?

Mojn
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Why not just enjoy the improved AF?

It's clearly improved with all my lenses.

M Lammerse
Like?

You're right,

It's a good question to ask with probable a good answer as well which we will not hear, but it's not brand specific behavior.

Michel

primeshooter wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

Michel

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Yeah, but why mention that AF-C is better then. Why not just fix that, and not say, as with AF-S?

-- hide signature --

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,765Gear list
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, Apr 2, 2013

M Lammerse wrote:

I wasn't really suggesting that Nikon is the only company that does that. I wrote about Nikon because I have first hand experience with them having done it in the past. They did the same thing with D2x and D3 as well. They were confirmed by well respected photographers like Bjorn Rorslett.

I am sure other companies do that as well. It is just that I don't have any first hand experience with them.

-- hide signature --

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
M Lammerse
Like?
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 2, 2013

sorry,

I felt a bit sounding like it. I had similar experiences with Siemens and Panasonic, not camera related by the way.

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

I wasn't really suggesting that Nikon is the only company that does that. I wrote about Nikon because I have first hand experience with them having done it in the past. They did the same thing with D2x and D3 as well. They were confirmed by well respected photographers like Bjorn Rorslett.

I am sure other companies do that as well. It is just that I don't have any first hand experience with them.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

primeshooter
Like?
Re: Why not just enjoy the improved AF?
In reply to Mojn, Apr 2, 2013

Mojn wrote:

I've not fully tested yet. Are yours better in AF-S mode too, or just AF-C. Have you tested low light and good light. Indoors and out, different Kelvin yet? Not being sarcastic or anything, interested to know what you feel.

M Lammerse
Like?
Not a placebo
In reply to Mojn, Apr 2, 2013

Mojn wrote:

I have to say that I did not have much problems with focus tracking before, but you clearly notices it, it tracks faster. Try an 'old' fast D prime lens wide open, it's even more funnier.

I've installed firmware updates in the past like that of the D3 which gave clear (positive) differences, but this one is in my opinion the most noticeable update in a long time.

Not a placebo at all!

Michel

-- hide signature --

jmiller1948
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
Let's Just Be Happy that it's Better!

I've just installed the update a few minutes ago, so I can't say if AF-C or AF-S are better or not.  If they are, I'm happy, whether Nikon admitted it wasn't perfect before or not.  Improvement is GOOD!

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads