Transfering pics from hard drive?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
deryn
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Transfering pics from hard drive?
Apr 2, 2013

Hi all, a while ago my laptop started playing up so I quickly got my pics off it on to an external hard drive.

I now have another laptop and have Elements for PP. I used the 'get photos' to get the photos from the hard drive into Elements. But, when I want to view the photos, I have to have the hard drive plugged in as the source of the photos or I just get the message that they can't be found!

Is there a way of uploading the photos from the hard drive into Elements on this laptop so I don't have to rely on the hard drive?

Deryn

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,100Gear list
Like?
Re: Transfering pics from hard drive?
In reply to deryn, Apr 2, 2013

I would assume that elements has a default location for pic, when it installs.

Look under options or settings and then copy your pics there.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deryn
Like?
In reply to digitalshooter, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the reply.

But can you elaborate a little bit on the info? sorry.

Deryn

Leigh A. Wax
Contributing MemberPosts: 850
Like?

The image files have to be on the hard drive of the laptop for any program installed  to access them "directly".

Image files are not typically stored within an application.    The application merely has an interface to link to the files; and if they're on an external drive, they can't be viewed until that drive is connected, recognized by the computer, and the application (Elements) linked to them.

Leigh

www.leighwax.com

deryn
Like?
In reply to Leigh A. Wax, Apr 2, 2013

Okay thanks, I'm also asking because this external drive was quite cheap and lately it has been taking ages to fire up!? A better drive next time me thinks.

Deryn

seamutt
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

Did you use the back-up, restore function under file in elements? I backup onto two external drives. when I purchased a new laptop I downloaded elements from adobe then used restore. That loaded the picture file into my pictures on the new laptop and do not need the external except for updating backups.

deryn
Like?
In reply to seamutt, Apr 3, 2013

mmmm... interesting.

I downloaded all my pics from Elements onto an external drive to be imported on to the new laptop.

When I opened elements in the new laptop, it started the usual 'get photos.' To which I pressed okay. Once the pics were downloaded from the external I tried to open them without the external plugged in. The pics open, sort of, but then it says the source of the pics can't be found and it goes off on a fruitless search!

Never mind. I'll know better next time. Thanks for your help guys.

Deryn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads