Just posted - our XF 14mm F2.8 R review

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Andy Westlake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
Just posted - our XF 14mm F2.8 R review
Apr 2, 2013

Hi all,

we've just posted our detailed review of the Fujinon XF 14mm F2.8 R lens. You can read it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/fujifilm-xf-14-f2-8r

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake's gear list:Andy Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Just posted - our XF 14mm F2.8 R review
In reply to Andy Westlake, Apr 2, 2013

Good review and nice that they took to the time to review a Fuji lens.

Seems the bottom line is, expensive but worth it!!!

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VladimirCZ
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the review! Fuji lenses are truly special!

Best regards

Vlad

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,555Gear list
Like?

Andy Westlake wrote:

Hi all,

we've just posted our detailed review of the Fujinon XF 14mm F2.8 R lens. You can read it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/fujifilm-xf-14-f2-8r

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Very good and accurate review. The only problem: It's too late. I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?
A good review, but...

I take issue with one thing, I found the focus speed very fast indeed (on a par with the 18mm) on both my X-Pro1 and X-E1 if I kept the focus box the default size.

If I reduced the size of the focus point AF speed slowed down hugely. Needless to say, I use the default focus box size!

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Well balanced review, thanks! It confirms what I already found with my copy – it's a special lens.

Phil Levy
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
In reply to itairom, Apr 2, 2013

itairom wrote:

Well balanced review, thanks! It confirms what I already found with my copy – it's a special lens.

+1

-- hide signature --

www.phillevy.co.uk

Phil Levy's gear list:Phil Levy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,051Gear list
Like?

Andy

was it possible to get the DXO results with the JPEG files?

Thx

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

An observation and question in regard to this comment:

"But they improve dramatically on stopping down to F4.0, and at F5.6 the image is critically sharp right across the frame."

I downloaded the f/5.6, f/8 and even f/11 images from this review and, looking in the corners and even the bottom/mid-zone of the shot, there still appears to be some fairly obvious softness in the frame.  It does not look to me that things really peak until f/8.  The grass patches in the lower left and lower right of the shots really illustrate this well, with the f/5.6 shots still being a tad soft (really in all the extreme corners) and then close to ideal in the f/8 shot.

I'm curious, is your definition of "critically sharp" reliant upon print viewing at a specific print size versus 100% viewing?

Thanks for the feedback, in advance.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to baobob, Apr 2, 2013

Look fantastic! This seems like a genuine competitor to, say, a 5D2 and a Zeiss 21mm, at least for the budget-and-size-conscious. Especially considering the fact that a used X-Pro1 and a new 14mm cost less than the Zeiss alone!

Lyle From Canada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Apr 3, 2013

Where do they get expensive from? Pro quality 14mm lenses from nikon and canon are $1500 and $2000 respectively. Yes they are full frame, but the fuji is half the price and equal in IQ.

-- hide signature --

Fuji x-pro1 with 35/1.4, fuji x100 and WA adapter, fuji x10

HB1969
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andy Westlake, Apr 3, 2013

Thanks for the comprehensive review but what happened to the lens widget? Thats half the fun of reading the reviews

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to HB1969, Apr 3, 2013

I am very enthusiastic about this lens. I also use a D800E and Nikkor 14-24mm F2.8 ED lens. This lens cost me over $2000. Its beautiful but large and heavy, can't take filters, is a bit prone to flare and it does show some field curvature.

The Fuji is 14mm, is light, has no distortion, no chromatic aberration, is AF which works just fine - I have no attention whatsoever on AF performance, infinity =infinity whereas Nikon it does not, has a manual focus lock - Nikon does not. I did side by side images on my XE1 with both the Fuji 14mm ($865) and the 14-24 ($2100). The Fuji seemed to match the Nikon and seemed to have no curvature/distortion.

When you start researching lenses you find practically nothing other than fisheyes for that focal length and that speed (F2.8).

So the Fuji then is unmatched by anything I am aware of and at a price a fraction of the full frame competitor which seems to only be the Nikon 14-24mm or the Samyang 14mm F2.8 (cheaper but a lot of moustache distortion).

Its a remarkable lens and I suppose the gold stamp at the end of the review shows that but I don't think it punched up the lack of competing lenses in its class and the cost/size/weight of the few that do match it.

Its a lightweight, inexpensive, Nikon 14-24mm lens for your Fuji Xmount camera. No other brand currently offers a truly competitive lens - it is unique.

8 image mosaic with this lens/XE1:

http://upload.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/149458947/large

Greg.

JasperD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662
Like?

Thank you for the quite comprehensive review! Samples have shown up everywhere meanwhile, it´s nice to see confirmation of very high IQ (as expected).

Still holding my horses though, I really want to see the Zeiss 12/2.8 before deciding, as I will not get both. Yes, I know there´s also quite some difference in those two millimeters, but less important in my mind. Hate that clutch, so at matching IQ from the Zeiss (as expected too), but without the restriction on manual focus, it will be the Zeiss...

Andy Westlake
Like?
In reply to baobob, Apr 3, 2013

baobob wrote:

was it possible to get the DXO results with the JPEG files?

In principle DxO Analyser can be used with JPEGs, but there's a big problem with comparability to data from RAW (MTF measurements need completely standardised processing). DxO's procedure for validating correct focus is also reliant on the software's ability to read the RAW files.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,051Gear list
Like?

Thx

DXo remains the only one not to process X Trans RAF files...

Dommage!

Cheers

bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Andy Westlake
Like?
In reply to AngryCorgi, Apr 3, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

I downloaded the f/5.6, f/8 and even f/11 images from this review and, looking in the corners and even the bottom/mid-zone of the shot, there still appears to be some fairly obvious softness in the frame.  It does not look to me that things really peak until f/8.  The grass patches in the lower left and lower right of the shots really illustrate this well, with the f/5.6 shots still being a tad soft (really in all the extreme corners) and then close to ideal in the f/8 shot.

If you pixel-peep in the extreme corners of the frame, then F5.6 is indeed a little softer than F8. But this only affects a tiny segment of the overall image, and you'd have to print really large to see any difference. At this point, the practical photographic relevence is essentially zero - the likelihood of having critical image content here is infinitesimally low, and any cropping whatsoever will remove the affected regions anyway.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake
Like?
In reply to Lyle From Canada, Apr 3, 2013

Lyle From Canada wrote:

Where do they get expensive from? Pro quality 14mm lenses from nikon and canon are $1500 and $2000 respectively. Yes they are full frame, but the fuji is half the price and equal in IQ.

Comparing the XF 14mm to Canon and Nikon 14mm lenses doesn't make a lot of sense - they're full frame lenses with a much wider angle of view. Part of the problem is that there really aren't many comparable lenses at all (which is highlighted in the review) - the closest is arguably the stop-slower Pentax 15mm F4 Limited.

However, in the grand scheme of things, it's worth considering that the XF 14mm F2.8 costs substantially more than than the very highly-regarded Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 for APS-C SLRs.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

km25
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
In reply to JasperD, Apr 3, 2013

Is the CZ 12mm an AF lens? I just known the cost is going to hgh. The Fuji 14mm has normal venetting and is only soft in the edges at f2.8, then super sharp. Does have near prefect distortion correction, not in software but the lens. The 21mm angle of view is about as wide as I wish to get. Wait for the CZ, it maybe a good idea, but it will be a more a different lens the a better. FYI, you can make the Fuji 14mm a super fast focusing lens. Frist set the lens at least F5.6 or F8.0 MF.Then hyperfocuse. The point and shoot. Almost as fast focusing.......get it. PS I love the MF/AF that Fuji has set up for this camera, but then again I once had a Nikkormat.

-- hide signature --

kam

km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?
In reply to km25, Apr 3, 2013

km25 wrote:

Is the CZ 12mm an AF lens?

CZ bought the AF protocol details from Fuji, so all the upcoming CZ mirrorless lenses for X-mount feature AF.

Regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads