Macbook pro keyboard problem

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Mark2710
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Macbook pro keyboard problem
Apr 2, 2013

I have macbook pro 15” (february 2008) and everything was fine until motherboard failure  (graphic chip) in january 2012. I was lucky to catch the last month of extended warranty and Apple repaired it for free. But there started new problems. I immediately notice that few keys on keyboard are “dead” (b,g,t,5,0,-,[,command). At the service claimed that they didn’t caused this problem and the only solution is to buy a new keyboard (they also run some test program for keyboards and no fault was detected). Now I can use bluetooth keyboard or onscreen keyboard from menu bar, but is very unpractical. Someone already had a similar problem? What can cause this problem and if someone know the solution I will be grateful for help. Before buying new keyboard I want to be sure that this is the only option I have.

Btw. keyboard is clean - no spills ever and backlight work correctly.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,120
Like?
Re: Macbook pro keyboard problem
In reply to Mark2710, Apr 2, 2013

probably your only choice is to reverify that the connector between the keyboard and mobo is fine and then replace the keyboard w/ a used unit (about $80).

You really should not have waited 15 months and should have pressed whoever repaired it that the keyboard was fine before they swapped the mobo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark2710
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 2, 2013

Yes I know it wasn't the smartest thing not to complain more at Apple service. But I wasn't really sure about the problem at that time, because first two weeks keys switched few times from working to non. (e.g. everything worked OK before closing the lid and when I opened the lid again the keys were dead).

I checked the keyboard connector few times and it is ok.

Do I have to change only keyboard or complete upper “plate”?

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,120
Like?
In reply to Mark2710, Apr 2, 2013

Most likely, just the keyboard itself but you'll need to find the ifixit guide on how to do that as it's a multi-step procedure.  You'll need to find the Axyz model number of the laptop to find just the right keyboard (I know that since I dumped a cup of coffee into my MBP last year and screwed up the keyboard)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads