"X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things" Locked

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Re: "X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things"
In reply to vrot01, Apr 2, 2013

vrot01 wrote:

Judge for yourself... Best examples are a couple of photos down...

http://www.flickriver.com/search/Xe1+color/

Tom

amazing pics! did you use auto white balance or did u go for a custom one ?? Also any pp or are the OOC jpegs ??

Sebit
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Re: "X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things"
In reply to nixda, Apr 2, 2013

nixda wrote:

The Fuji marketing machinery painted the X-Trans sensor as "earth-shattering", at least that's the impression I got. Something that is a game changer, an order above everything else. Well, I don't think so, and neither do I believe is the package around it. They are solid cameras, and I enjoy my X-E1, but it sure has limitations.

I'm sorry about asking question on the earth-shattering product, just was curious what it may be. Was wondering if your opinion comes from a comparison with other product or something else. I'm not sure if it sounded like I intended it to. Now I understand it's mainly your opinion on Fuji's marketing. I suppose it's just that I don't take all of that marketing stuff too seriously, so my impressions were similar to any other marketing BS we have to live with. From the design point of view it is a distinctive product, but the actual gain for the user is not so obvious. As I wrote before on this forum, the use of X-Trans in X100s at first caused some hesitation about the buying decision. But later I decided that it doesn't spoil the camera to the point that would make me unhappy.

-- hide signature --

seb

vrot01
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
In reply to beetle0042000, Apr 2, 2013

beetle0042000 wrote:

vrot01 wrote:

Judge for yourself... Best examples are a couple of photos down...

http://www.flickriver.com/search/Xe1+color/

Tom

amazing pics! did you use auto white balance or did u go for a custom one ?? Also any pp or are the OOC jpegs ??

Not my pics... just a search on flickr for "xe1 + color."

Tom

vrot01's gear list:vrot01's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Canon EOS 5D Mark II +20 more
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
In reply to Tandua, Apr 2, 2013

It seems you're made up your mind to accept the negatives from two particular publications, ignoring all the positives from other publications and actual users. If you want to ignore all the great images people are posting, it's totally your choice. Keep using whatever you're using. Wait for the X-E2. I'm sure the color will be at least as great as the X-E1.

Tandua wrote:

I would like to buy X-E1 but I don't understand these comments made by Ken Rockewell about colors rendition...I don't know...but recent image-resource review 3/23/2013 say the same things...I am going to wait...X-E II

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,575Gear list

If there is one thing where the Fuji's are really ahead of the others it's colors.

That comes from a Nikon, Canon shooter. Fuji colors ( especially Velvia ) and JPEGs are ahead of the rest.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list

nixda wrote:

Sebit wrote:

Can you give us an example of a product being earth-shattering in your opinion, please?

-- hide signature --

seb

The Fuji marketing machinery painted the X-Trans sensor as "earth-shattering", at least that's the impression I got. Something that is a game changer, an order above everything else. Well, I don't think so, and neither do I believe is the package around it. They are solid cameras, and I enjoy my X-E1, but it sure has limitations.

That's your fault for buying into marketing, instead of applying critical thinking.

Look at images, use the camera(s) yourself, form your own unbiased opinions. Fuji is going to market their product as "the best", as will every other camera maker. You don't sell cameras if you say "well, these cameras are ok, but our competitor does XYZ better, so you really shouldn't buy from us".

A limited, but solid camera is more realistic than "worse than iPhone", or "earth-shattering".

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913Gear list
In reply to Asylum Photo, Apr 2, 2013

Asylum Photo wrote:

nixda wrote:

Sebit wrote:

Can you give us an example of a product being earth-shattering in your opinion, please?

-- hide signature --

seb

That's your fault for buying into marketing, instead of applying critical thinking.

Um, I didn't say that I bought into the hype. In fact, I didn't; it was clear from the few initial critical assessments of the X-Pro1 that there are a lot of issues. I purchased my X-E1 knowing full well what I got. But I was nevertheless  majorly annoyed by the continuing marketing efforts that I found completely over the top. Clearly different from what I've been used to from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc.

Look at images, use the camera(s) yourself, form your own unbiased opinions. Fuji is going to market their product as "the best", as will every other camera maker. You don't sell cameras if you say "well, these cameras are ok, but our competitor does XYZ better, so you really shouldn't buy from us".

A limited, but solid camera is more realistic than "worse than iPhone", or "earth-shattering"

That indeed is my 'unbiased' opinion.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
In reply to nonicks, Apr 2, 2013

It's borderline comical to criticise the camera's colour rendition above any other possible limitations it might have. That's one thing that the camera undoubtedly excels at.

love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740

It makes no different if KR gives it a 10 or a 0. Nothing has changed and there is no need to waste your energy to defend Fuji. Outside of Japan Fuji is still a cult brand. If you get it, you will buy it, use it, and enjoy it. I actually don't like Fuji to be too mainstream. It takes away the special quality if every other image renders the same.

Speaking of color saturation, it reminds me of another Leica reviewer who likes to up the sharpness of all of his images to a very unrealistic level. They almost hurt my eyes. I suppose it is just another way to subconsciously telling the untrained eyes the red dot lenses are much sharper.

deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list

nixda wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

nixda wrote:

Sebit wrote:

-- hide signature --

seb

Um, I didn't say that I bought into the hype. In fact, I didn't; it was clear from the few initial critical assessments of the X-Pro1 that there are a lot of issues. I purchased my X-E1 knowing full well what I got. But I was nevertheless  majorly annoyed by the continuing marketing efforts that I found completely over the top. Clearly different from what I've been used to from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc.

A limited, but solid camera is more realistic than "worse than iPhone", or "earth-shattering"

I think it must be me then that whenever I read one of your posts it usually means a completely unbiased negative comment. You then mention that you own one but

Here is the totally over the top description of the X-E1 from the fujifilm website:

"The X-E1's sensor adopts the same high-performance 16M X-Trans CMOS found in the X Series flagship X-Pro1 model. Featuring an originally developed color filter array with a highly random pixel arrangement, its X-Trans CMOS sensor eliminates the need for an optical low-pass filter, which is used in conventional systems to inhibit moiré at the expense of resolution. The innovative array lets the X-Trans CMOS sensor capture unfiltered light from the lens and produce unprecedented resolution. The unique random arrangement of the color filter array is also highly effective in enhancing noise separation in high-sensitivity photography. Another advantage of the large APS-C sensor is the ability to create a beautiful “bokeh” effect - the aesthetic out-of-focus effect created when shooting with a shallow depth of field."

Nikons D7100 description so soberingly neutral by comparison, right??

"The D7100 employs an image sensor unit designed without an optical low-pass filter to take full advantage of the high resolution achieved by its high pixel count. This image sensor unit maximizes the resolving power of 24.1 megapixels and NIKKOR lenses, bringing sharp, clear rendering of delicate details of your subjects. With this camera, you can shoot high-definition images that retain excellent quality even if trimmed or enlarged."

A matter of unbiased opinion I guess ... is there are chance you made up your mind some time ago and that's it?? You mention that "it was clear from the few initial critical assessments of the X-Pro1 that there are a lot of issues."

Now that's the spirit! Glas half empty all the way ...

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,456
Ken likes to crank up the saturation till it pops

A complaint by Ken is an endorsement to the rest of us . ..

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
In reply to deednets, Apr 2, 2013

deednets wrote:

Always take what KR says with a large grain of salt! He says for instance that RAW is nonsense because he gets it right when he takes his shot. Now this is probably a tad simplistic, but KR likes to wind people up, he says so himself, not to take him too seriously.

Funny you should mention KR and the whole raw/jpeg thing.  I have a photographer friend who won't shoot raw, in part, because KR saws you should shoot jpeg.  He has even cited the KR article as evidence that jpeg is all you ever need.  Now, this friend is a talented photographer, but I have to chuckle at his adoration for KR.  It's like talking to someone who just stepped out of a time machine from 1999.

Abraxx
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
In reply to pcb_dpr, Apr 2, 2013

After reading other posts from Tandua, I agree.

Looks like we are up to another Troll here, also interesting that he is no replying but posting new threads with similar content elsewhere...

Another "viral" poster....?

-- hide signature --

'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

Abraxx's gear list:Abraxx's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list

nixda wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

nixda wrote:

Sebit wrote:

-- hide signature --

seb

If you think that Fuji is the only company that markets their gear as "the best", then you are painfully mistaken.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list

Hello!

I found a very interesting test here:

http://www.rebeccalily.com/film-digital-fuji-xe1-400h/

I think this can show how "works" fuji in the professional X series concerning colors.

Cheers.

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads