"X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things" Locked

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Tandua
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
"X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things"
Apr 2, 2013

I would like to buy X-E1 but I don't understand these comments made by Ken Rockewell about colors rendition
"

kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-e1.htm

"BAD Things Section":

"Blah color rendition, much duller than Canon, Nikon or Iphone5"

"It's optimized and great for people photos, but too dull for photos of things"

"The X-E1 excels in crappy light, but its colors don't look very good in good light"

Tandua's gear list:Tandua's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nonicks
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Re: "X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things"
In reply to Tandua, Apr 2, 2013

Tandua wrote:

I would like to buy X-E1 but I don't understand these comments made by Ken Rockewell about colors rendition
"

"BAD Things Section":

"The X-E1 excels in crappy light, but its colors don't look very good in good light"

Not sure what he was talking about. Color from XE1 is good. Period.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Re: "X-E1 Blah Color Renditon, its color don't lok very good, dull for photos of things"

KR is just about the last person on earth whose opinion on color should matter to you. He has somewhat unique tastes in that department, to put it mildly.

Abraxx
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list

Just ignore KR, his comments are often nonsense or contradictory.

There are far better blogs out there.

I suggest you have a look at Flickr instead for examples about the color and you make your own judgement.

-- hide signature --

'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

Abraxx's gear list:Abraxx's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +3 more
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,929Gear list
Ken Rockwell...

from what I read on his site, follows the credo "more is better" - he generally cranks up the color saturation to a quite extreme level - I find that unnatural to say it carefully.

For photogenic and decent colour you cannot go wrong with almost any Fuji camera. I personally would rate the old S3pro and S5pro higher than the Fuji X, but the difference is not very big. SPecially skin tones are a strength also of the X line.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,095Gear list
Re: Ken Rockwell...
In reply to Bernie Ess, Apr 2, 2013

Agree totally with bernie

never had before a camera with so OOC subtle tones

Much better than all my canon gear (5D2 + 5 lenses)

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Bjrn SWE
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
In reply to Abraxx, Apr 2, 2013

I once looked at KR's own pictures and noticed he has a habit of adjusting saturation levels to the max in every image (not to my taste). Of course he thinks everything else is dull...

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,058

Tandua wrote:

If you do not know KR's personality and preference for colours then his advice is not for you. He loves what most of us would consider outrageaous colours. In his view the colours in SOOC jpgs are not crazy enough.

For the overwhelming majority of us the colurs of the X-E1 are just fine.

"BAD Things Section":

This is all true from KR's unique perspective. But that perspective is unlikely to be yours as well.

You can safely consider the X-E1 just fine as far as colours go. Base your purchasing decision on all the other factors.

Good luck with that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,382Gear list

Tandua wrote:

"

"BAD Things Section":

Always take what KR says with a large grain of salt! He says for instance that RAW is nonsense because he gets it right when he takes his shot. Now this is probably a tad simplistic, but KR likes to wind people up, he says so himself, not to take him too seriously.

Of course there is a strong possibility that he is just misunderstood ... here is a shot taken with the X-E1 ... at the time I still had my D300s and took some comparison shots. Won't bore you with the results ... In my personal opinion, possibly as erratic as his opinion, the X-E1 has one of the most outstanding colours in the industry. Here is a shot of a vintage car, maybe dull to your eyes - and certainly dull to Mr Rockwells eyes, he would have done so much better using a smart phone I know, I know ...

Best to make up your mind yourself! Google X-E1 pics or flick through the galeries here on dpreview ...

Dull alright ...

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
PeterFXCassidy
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list

KR's authority in color rendition is up there with Jeffery Dahmer's opinion on aspects of the culinary arts.

PeterFXCassidy's gear list:PeterFXCassidy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287

Fuji has had a reputation for doing color better than any body since the days of film.  Ken Rockwell has a website.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list

Man, the X-Series continues to fall. Now it's worse than an iPhone!

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
In reply to PeterFXCassidy, Apr 2, 2013

PeterFXCassidy wrote:

KR's authority in color rendition is up there with Jeffery Dahmer's opinion on aspects of the culinary arts.

+2

Tandua
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
In reply to uniball, Apr 2, 2013

I don't know...

but recent image-resource review 3/23/2013 say the same things.. +/-

www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-e1/fuji-x-e1A.HTM
"Cons:

• Mushy shutter button feel
  • Mediocre autofocus and shot-to-shot speeds
  • ISO, Film Simulation, and Dynamic Range bracketing disable RAW recording
  • >>Auto white balance too red indoors, Incandescent setting too yellow
  • >>Saturation adjustment not very effective
  • >>>Some minor demosaicing errors
  • >>No RAW support at extended ISOs (100, 12800, 25600)
  • Weak built-in flash, >>>with reddish tint in some flash shots
  • >>No dedicated ISO or video buttons
  • Only +/-2 EV compensation range
  • Slow buffer clearing with RAW files
  • Kit lens doesn't focus very close
  • So-so video quality with significant rolling shutter effect

I am going to wait...X-E II

Tandua's gear list:Tandua's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287

Tandua wrote:

I don't know...

but recent image-resource review 3/23/2013 say the same things.. +/-

www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-e1/fuji-x-e1A.HTM
"Cons:

• Mushy shutter button feel
  • Mediocre autofocus and shot-to-shot speeds
  • ISO, Film Simulation, and Dynamic Range bracketing disable RAW recording
  • >>Auto white balance too red indoors, Incandescent setting too yellow
  • >>Saturation adjustment not very effective
  • >>>Some minor demosaicing errors
  • >>No RAW support at extended ISOs (100, 12800, 25600)
  • Weak built-in flash, >>>with reddish tint in some flash shots
  • >>No dedicated ISO or video buttons
  • Only +/-2 EV compensation range
  • Slow buffer clearing with RAW files
  • Kit lens doesn't focus very close
  • So-so video quality with significant rolling shutter effect

I am going to wait...X-E II

It does not.  It never mentions dull colors.  It does mention incandescent color balance being too yellow.

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
In reply to Asylum Photo, Apr 2, 2013

Asylum Photo wrote:

Man, the X-Series continues to fall. Now it's worse than an iPhone!

-- hide signature --

It's been half-baked from the beginning. But those who dared to say so got clobbered left and right. I think the market is slowly coming to their senses now and starts recognizing the X-series for what it is: a reasonable line of products that is mostly fun to use, but certainly nothing earth-shattering.

Not to dwell on KR too much, but his initial fake 'review' painted the X-E1 in the most glorious colors. That he is now saying otherwise at least speaks to his willingness to revise his stance. I wish all those reviewers who initially shouted from the roofs that the X-Pro1 or X-E1 are the best cameras they have ever used would finally take their blinders off as well and own up to it.

But wait, we already have 'respected' online bloggers panting ecstatically that the X100S is the best camera they have EVER used. Things are moving on. More hyperbole, please.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
vrot01
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list

Judge for yourself... Best examples are a couple of photos down...

http://www.flickriver.com/search/Xe1+color/

Tom

vrot01's gear list:vrot01's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Canon PowerShot S30 Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon EOS 5D Mark II +20 more
Sebit
Regular MemberPosts: 241
In reply to nixda, Apr 2, 2013

Can you give us an example of a product being earth-shattering in your opinion, please?

-- hide signature --

seb

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
In reply to Sebit, Apr 2, 2013

Sebit wrote:

Can you give us an example of a product being earth-shattering in your opinion, please?

-- hide signature --

seb

The Fuji marketing machinery painted the X-Trans sensor as "earth-shattering", at least that's the impression I got. Something that is a game changer, an order above everything else. Well, I don't think so, and neither do I believe is the package around it. They are solid cameras, and I enjoy my X-E1, but it sure has limitations.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
briny
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list

The X-E1 has its own set of faults/quirks that can be, and have been, legitimately criticized. Colour, IMO, is not one of them.

briny's gear list:briny's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads