Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
ejw07
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?
In reply to LA_CAMGUY, Apr 2, 2013

One word "YES"

-- hide signature --

E. j. W.

ejw07's gear list:ejw07's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
I still want...

at least a better indication of focus lock than a green dot in the corner of the viewfinder.

It would be better if the focus point indicator changed colors so that you do not need to move your eye when manually focussing.

That may not be possible if someone other than Nikon holds a patent for that feature, but it would be a good compromise instead of a physical split screen.

Small rant in the larger picture.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
Re: I still want...
In reply to user_name, Apr 2, 2013

user_name wrote:

at least a better indication of focus lock than a green dot in the corner of the viewfinder.

It would be better if the focus point indicator changed colors so that you do not need to move your eye when manually focussing.

Hmm... so you mean, say the left and right arrows (< >) are red (stop, problem), and the dot is green (go, ok)?

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Lilien
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Still no Bracketing with bigger steps

Still no Exposure Bracketing with more than 1 EV steps. 

Regards,

Juergen

Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Re: D800e - uses a different file
In reply to Tommot1965, Apr 2, 2013

Tommot1965 wrote:

nice to see LV in manual mode has been fixed and no longer previews the exposure..we can now use LV in the studio

haven't tested much else as that was the most important to me

Ah ok, it wasn't just me. Previously I was trying use liveview with my manual focus macro lens and I had to open up the aperture in order to focus, then close down for the actual shot. Nice to see this fixed.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to Testing123, Apr 2, 2013

No.  I would keep everything the same at the bottom of the viewfinder.

However, the red rectangle that represents the actual focal point on the viewfinder should turn green when focus lock has been achieved.

This would allow you to keep your eye "focused" on the subject and still see the color change indicating the lock.

Right now I need to frame the picture, then look down in the viewfinder for the lock confirmation as I manually focus, then look back up to make sure I have not moved the camera, which I usually have, so I have to repeat the process.

It is critical when you are trying focus on something like an eye and you do not have much room for error if the camera shifts.

Think of it as watching the road as you drive, then having to look down on the dash.  When you look down you can't see the road, this is why heads up displays are so useful, particularly for fighter jets where situational awareness is paramount.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
nuke12
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?

Interesting thread. A lot of people are looking for features that have never been in any of the other previous Nikon cameras and others are looking for things they expected to be there from the get go.

Lots of wishes, I'd like to have also but Nikon is not known for adding features with firmware upgrades. I've come to expect that but I'd like them to fix the things I expected from previous generations of cameras.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II +18 more
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,143Gear list
Like?
Seems lost the green tint when image displayed on my D800e LCD! / nt

Thanks. . . . Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,458Gear list
Like?
Re: It does not take a whole lot of time if one has a fixed setup
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 2, 2013

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

My first observation is tremendous improvement in AF-C performance particularly 51 point 3d tracking.

That's a big statement and I'll be happy if it's true. Not saying you haven't, but considering the update just came down the pipe, have you had the time to do the necessary testing to make that statement. Hopefully yes, but...............

My major grief about D800 was its inability to accurately track subject in AF-C particularly when using 51 points with 3d tracking while my D3 nailed a high percentage of those shots. I shoot a lot of professional table tennis. The players move fast and D800 could never keep up. I posted this a couple of times on DPR as well. AF-C performance improvement was the only thing I was hoping to get in a firmware update.

To ensure, I was not doing some mistake, I created a simple test setup with toy cars running down fast on a track. These are about 8" cars hand crafted to participate in Pinewood Derby type races. This gave me a repeatable setup. The main intent was for me to prove to myself that my D3 was performing better. I could never get more than 25% to 30% success rate with my D800 on this setup. When I tested it last night, I had over 75% in each of the three rounds of test shots I fired. It took hardly 15 minutes for me to test it end to end.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Well, that's fantastic then!  AF performance is my only concern.  Everything else is fine or I can live with it. This should greatly increase my BIF percentage.  If it's that good I might even ditch my D4!

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
mtmike
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Re: D800e - uses a different file
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks Craig--very helpful.

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

This may save someone else a few minutes of troubleshooting.  The D800e takes a different firmware file than the D800.  (There is D800e in the file name).

Updates fine with the correct firmware file.  Ignores the D800 file if you try to update a D800e with it.

Nikon USA link to D800e firmware here:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18262

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Martin Grecner
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, Apr 4, 2013

InTheMist wrote:

Works for me!

nuke12 wrote:

Still no trap focus.

I'm not a MF guy, but at least the AF-S and AF-C "priority selection" (option a1 and a2) now work!

In other words, you when you have a1 and a2 set to "Focus" an image won't be made without achieving focus.  It used to bug me a LOT.

Could you please explain what you mean ? Mine still takes a picture even when it is out of focus when AF-ON-only focusing is being used and you do not press the AF-ON button to activate AF.

Also, this FW did not fix the bug with movie mode and variable aperture zoom lenses, which makes the camera reset to wide open aperture after zooming in and out.

Also, it still ignores the flash shutter speed setting.

Martin

Todd Hargis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293
Like?
In reply to lanefAU, Apr 4, 2013

What is "trap focus"? Don't you have AF lock? That does not work for you?

T
--
www.toddhargisphotography.com

http://toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings

www.pbase.com/todd991
http://www.pbase.com/todd991/image/52816311.jpg

shar541
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
For me this firmware had been just incredible!
In reply to LA_CAMGUY, Apr 4, 2013

For me this firmware had been just incredible!

My D800 came about 6 weeks after the first batch were released.

For me this firmware had been just incredible. It seems like the whole camera is improved. It is hard to quantify.

The focus is fast and accurate even in super low light conditions with no focus light assist.

No focus hunting - takes the photo fast and accurate.  I never felt I had any of the left focus issues.

georgeRC
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
Re: Still not satisfied
In reply to Karl Persson, Apr 4, 2013

Karl Persson wrote:

No trap focus. NO TRAP FOCUS!

Still no LV without camera stopping down while just viewing/focusing. Ruins possibility for critical focus when working at other than fully open aperture, like shooting macro.

When in LV you can use the OK button to toggle between stopped-down and wide-open.

In wide-open and manual exposure, the exposure meter is displayed on the right side of the LCD.

You can use the magnify button to zoom in on the point in the image where you want sharpest focus.

Happy shooting.

georgeRC's gear list:georgeRC's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D7000 +1 more
Karl Persson
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: Still not satisfied
In reply to georgeRC, Apr 4, 2013

You are wrong. Different monitor gain, aperture doesn´t change.

DuxX
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
No.
In reply to Steven-T, Apr 5, 2013

Al least in D800 case. LCD green cast is still there.

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /
http://www.duxx-photography.com

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,143Gear list
Like?
Yes? No? OMG?
In reply to DuxX, Apr 6, 2013

DuxX wrote:

Al least in D800 case. LCD green cast is still there.

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /
http://www.duxx-photography.com

Spent a few hours with my D800e in the sunny park today.  My observations:

1. Yes - The green tint has been significantly reduced, almost eliminated.

2. No - Now replaced with a horrible yellow cast when image displayed on LCD.  (PS:  The file color in PS is ok.)

3. OMG - Now my years of photo taking reduces me to nobody.  I usually do manual metering.  After the upgrade, when the image is displayed on the yellow tinted LCD,  it looks over exposed, at least by 1-stop.  But when I opened the photo in Photoshop, the exposure is normal.  I swear to HIM up there I didn't touch the LCD display intensity before the upgrade, nor after the upgrade. Now is time to have fun on LCD display exposure tuning . . .

Amen.

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
MasterOfGoingFaster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to user_name, Apr 6, 2013

user_name wrote:

However, the red rectangle that represents the actual focal point on the viewfinder should turn green when focus lock has been achieved.

I've asked for the same feature - a "heads up" manual focus indication.

But assuming they can't change the color due to hardware, I'd like them to use the left and right brackets as if they were arrows.  When out of focus, show just one bracket (say - the left side).  If I turn the focus ring to the right, both brackets light up when I hit focus.  If I go too far to the right, the left bracket turns off.

-- hide signature --

Ken Elliott
Equipment in profile.

MasterOfGoingFaster's gear list:MasterOfGoingFaster's gear list
Nikon D700
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
In reply to user_name, Apr 7, 2013

Hey that's a great idea!

Split each AF point so that the little rectangle has a left-half and right-half. Light the entire AF point green when AF is acquired, or blink the right half or left half of the AF point red to indicate front or back focus.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,616Gear list
Like?
In reply to LA_CAMGUY, Apr 7, 2013

LA_CAMGUY wrote:

What do you think? Enough? Not enough? More needed?

(Nikonrumors has info)

I'm a full time working professional and I use a D4 and D800 as my primary bodies. Until now I've been hesitant to use the D800 for critical work in anything except the best possible lighting because of focus problems. After the firmware I'm far more confident and will use the camera in a much wider range of applications. I wish it hadn't taken so long to be fixed but now that it has been I'm highly satisfied.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads