Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
LA_CAMGUY
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?
Apr 2, 2013

What do you think? Enough? Not enough? More needed?

(Nikonrumors has info)

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nuke12
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?
In reply to LA_CAMGUY, Apr 2, 2013

Still no trap focus.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
AF-C 51 point 3d tracking has definitely improved

My first observation is tremendous improvement in AF-C performance particularly 51 point 3d tracking. Haven't had a chance to check out the other aspects yet.

When I say AF-C performance, I don't mean speed of acquisition or tracking. What I have observed is percentage of in-focus images has significantly gone up.

Oh, by the way, you don't have to go to Nikon Rumors for the FW update. You can get it directly from Nikon - http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18257

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,668Gear list
Like?

Working for D800e?

I can't get my camera to show an update.  SD card, CF card - both formatted in camera and new .bin file copied to root.

In case it just doesn't like my battery being at 99%, I'm charging it up to 100.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 2, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Working for D800e?

I can't get my camera to show an update.  SD card, CF card - both formatted in camera and new .bin file copied to root.

In case it just doesn't like my battery being at 99%, I'm charging it up to 100.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

No mas for me either on the d800e.  Tried 2 different cards, .bin file in root directory and several formats later, no dice.  Waiting patiently for battery to charge.  Maybe there is a separate FW update for the "e"  I will wait until the morning to try again.  I am too flippant to try any more configurations tonight.  I hope someone can resolve this dilemma while I slumber.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
D800e - uses a different file

This may save someone else a few minutes of troubleshooting.  The D800e takes a different firmware file than the D800.  (There is D800e in the file name).

Updates fine with the correct firmware file.  Ignores the D800 file if you try to update a D800e with it.

Nikon USA link to D800e firmware here:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18262

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to Chad Gladstone, Apr 2, 2013

Yes, silly us.  We blindly followed the link to the D800 file thinking it would work for the D800e, but there is a different file out there.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

5tve
Contributing MemberPosts: 641Gear list
Like?

just google D800E firmware its the top link

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e - uses a different file

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

This may save someone else a few minutes of troubleshooting.  The D800e takes a different firmware file than the D800.  (There is D800e in the file name).

Updates fine with the correct firmware file.  Ignores the D800 file if you try to update a D800e with it.

Nikon USA link to D800e firmware here:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18262

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Many thanks!  Worked like a charm.  Lets hope its soothes the naysayers or at least quells the spurious posts that foretell the impending demise of the Nikon and their seemingly less than responsive reaction to its customer' demands.  Thanks again for the link!  Much obliged.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628
Like?

Just updated mine, everything went smoothly. Haven't got time to try it today, will give it a go tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

Veni Vidi Capi (I Came, I Saw, I Captured)
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries

Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 884
Like?
Re: D800e - uses a different file

nice to see LV in manual mode has been fixed and no longer previews the exposure..we can now use LV in the studio

haven't tested much else as that was the most important to me

Karl Persson
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Still not satisfied

No trap focus. NO TRAP FOCUS!

Still no LV without camera stopping down while just viewing/focusing. Ruins possibility for critical focus when working at other than fully open aperture, like shooting macro.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,312Gear list
Like?
In reply to nuke12, Apr 2, 2013

Works for me!

nuke12 wrote:

Still no trap focus.

I'm not a MF guy, but at least the AF-S and AF-C "priority selection" (option a1 and a2) now work!

In other words, you when you have a1 and a2 set to "Focus" an image won't be made without achieving focus.  It used to bug me a LOT.

-- hide signature --

/Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 884
Like?
Re: Still not satisfied
In reply to Karl Persson, Apr 2, 2013

Karl Persson wrote:

Still no LV without camera stopping down while just viewing/focusing. Ruins possibility for critical focus when working at other than fully open aperture, like shooting macro.

try again in manual mode

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,776
Like?
Do you mean...
In reply to Karl Persson, Apr 2, 2013

...the aperture closes even if you had aperture set at e.g. F/2.0 if you go into live view ?

lock

TNNLGM
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Hmm not sure if that was meant to happen..
In reply to lock, Apr 2, 2013

I have just uploaded the new firmware for the D800. The live view does not register an exposure change when adjusting shutter speed in all relevant modes. However, the exposure changes when ISO and aperture is adjusted.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Karl Persson
Like?
Re: Still not satisfied
In reply to Tommot1965, Apr 2, 2013

Tommot1965 wrote:

Karl Persson wrote:

try again in manual mode

Mode makes no difference. If camera set to, say, f/11 it stops down the moment you enter LV. Don´t confuse that with exposure simulation, that is only applying a different gain to the LCD; the camera still stops down, making it difficult to focus accurately.

Sure, you can open up aperture and focus, but you don´t want to fiddle with the camera after achieving critical focus when you´re in the macro realm and that makes it hard to set proper aperture after focusing. It´s doable with tethering, but it´s an awkward way to work.

Karl Persson
Like?
Re: Do you mean...
In reply to lock, Apr 2, 2013

lock wrote:

...the aperture closes even if you had aperture set at e.g. F/2.0 if you go into live view ?

lock

No. The camera stops down to the chosen aperture upon entering LV. If you´re set at f/2 it´s still at f/2 (until you change the aperture).

If you want to shoot at f/8 you´re forced to focus at f/8 (in LV) if you don´t want to first open up the aperture, focus, and then stop down again.

The camera should keep the lens fully open regardless of chosen aperture, just as it is when you use the OVF, and stop down for exposure simulation when you press the OK button.
The aperture lever has a separate motor, so it is not a hardware limitation AFAIK.

peterclark55
Senior MemberPosts: 2,263
Like?
Re: AF-C 51 point 3d tracking has definitely improved
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 2, 2013

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

My first observation is tremendous improvement in AF-C performance particularly 51 point 3d tracking. Haven't had a chance to check out the other aspects yet.

When I say AF-C performance, I don't mean speed of acquisition or tracking. What I have observed is percentage of in-focus images has significantly gone up.

Oh, by the way, you don't have to go to Nikon Rumors for the FW update. You can get it directly from Nikon - http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18257

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Thaks for the link. Have update my D800. Not a simple operation as the download query does not give one a chance to choose the upload file name. Had to search, etc..Finally worked fine. Peter

Fastmikefree
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?

Installed but as I mentionned in another post, still no implementation of two values for Zoom lenses in AF Tune...

That is a big disappointment for me since Canon offers that feature for a while and I was hoping that Nikon will try to catch up... bad to have to choose on where you want your Zoom lens to be focused!!!  ;-(

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads