A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 20,754
Like?
A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems
Apr 2, 2013

I was reading in another thread where the 35-100 / 2.8 on mFT was being compared to a 70-200 / 2.8 on FF, and, well, you know.

So, let's see if this post can't serve as a reference for such future "discussions".

First of all, I don't think that anyone disagrees that 35-100mm on mFT has the same [diagonal] AOV (angle of view) as 70-200mm on FF.  This will result in the same framing (plus-or-minus due to the difference in the 4:3 and 3:2 aspect ratios) for the same perspective (subject-camera distance).

Furthermore, I hope everyone understands that f/2.8 on mFT results in the same DOF (depth-of-field) as f/5.6 on FF for a given perspective and framing, or, conversely, that f/2.8 on FF results in the same DOF as f/1.4 on mFT.

In addition, I believe everyone understands that f/2.8 results in the same exposure on all systems for a given scene luminance and shutter speed (give or take for the difference between the t-stop and f-ratio of the lens).

But there are two points that do cause some amount of confusion:

• All systems suffer the same from diffraction softening at the same DOF
  • The same total amount of light falls on the sensors for the same scene luminance, DOF, and shutter speed for all systems, which will result in the same total noise for equally efficient sensors.

Failure to understand these last two points by some people are where the vast majority of the problems come from, in my opinion (and experience), so let me flesh these points out just a bit.

Saying that all systems suffer the same from diffraction softening at the same DOF does not mean that all systems resolve the same amount of detail at the same DOF.  It simply means that the blur introduced by diffraction is the same for all systems at the same DOF.  Clearly, an otherwise sharper photo will still be sharper if the same amount of blur is applied to it as a less sharp photo (well, I hope that's clear).

Next, the primary sources of noise in a photo come from the light itself (photon noise) and the sensor and supporting hardware (read noise).  The exposure is simply the density of light falling on the sensor, whereas the total light is, well, the total amount of light falling on the sensor.  We can relate exposure and total light in the following manner:

Total Light = Exposure x Effective Sensor Area

The sensor efficiency comes in two parts.  First of all, there's the QE (Quantum Efficiency) which is simply the proportion of light falling on the sensor that is recorded.  For example, if a sensor has a QE of 50% (which is pretty much where most modern sensors are at), half the light falling on the sensor is recorded.  The second component is how much additional noise is added by the sensor and supporting hardware (read noise), which is often a function of the ISO setting (ISOless sensors, on the other hand, have the same read noise regardless of the ISO setting).

Now, no one would say that a 35-100 / 2.8 on an EP1 is not equivalent to the same 35-100 / 2.8 on an EM5, even though the EM5 will record more detail and have less noise.  So, simply because 35-100mm f/2.8 doesn't necessarily record the same detail or have the same noise as 70-200mm f/5.6 on FF does not mean that they are not equivalent:  "Equivalent" does not mean "equal".

This is an important point that cannot be understated.  When we say that 35-100mm / 2.8 on mFT is "equivalent to" 70-200mm f/5.6 on FF, what is meant is:

• The photos all have the same AOV (diagonal angle of view) and aperture (entrance pupil) diameter: 35mm / 2.8 = 70mm / 5.6 = 12.5mm, 100mm / 2.8 = 200mm / 5.6 = 35.7mm.

• The photos all have the same DOF (as well as diffraction softening) when they have sameperspective (subject-camera distance), AOV, aperture diameter, and display size.

• The photos all have the same motion blur and the same total amount of light falls on the sensor when the aperture diameter and shutter speed are the same (e.g. ISO 100 on mFT and ISO 400 on FF).

• The photos all have the same same noise when the same total amount of light falls on the sensor if the sensors are equally efficient (less noise if the sensor is more efficient, more noise if the sensor is less efficient).

• Other elements of IQ, such as resolution, bokeh, flare resistance, etc., as well as elements of operation, such as AF speed/accuracy, size, weight, etc., are not covered in this use of the term "equivalent".

Lastly, one doesn't choose a particular system to get images which are equivalent to another system.  Instead, one chooses a particular system for the best balance of the factors that matter to the them, such as price, size, weight, IQ, DOF range, available lenses, and/or operation.  By understanding which settings on which system create equivalent images, the difference in their capabilities is more easily understood.

In other words, simply because 35-100mm f/2.8 on mFT is equivalent to 70-200mm f/5.6 on FF, it doesn't make one "better than" the other.  But it may well have a great deal with why one chooses one system over the other, or, in fact, why so many seem to enjoy both.

Olympus PEN E-P1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,402Gear list
Like?
Re: A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 2, 2013

Thank you very much for the clear explanations.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,111Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 2, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Thank you very much for the clear explanations.

Though a bit overlong and pedantic

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?

There is not a single spot that hasn't been kiked at least 20 times in this dead horse is time to buried the poor thing.      Or maybe you found one

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Portola
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?

Dear Mr. Bustard,

Your posts are always of interest and this one is interesting too, but isn't the 12-35 f/2.8 equivalent to a 24-70 f/5.6 rather than a 70-200?

Great Bustard
Like?
Yikes! : )
In reply to Portola, Apr 2, 2013

Portola wrote:

Dear Mr. Bustard,

Your posts are always of interest and this one is interesting too, but isn't the 12-35 f/2.8 equivalent to a 24-70 f/5.6 rather than a 70-200?

Oh dear -- how embarrassing is that?  Well, it could be worse, I suppose -- you could have pointed out my zipper was down when I wasn't wearing underwear. 

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?
Re: Yikes! : )

Great Bustard wrote:

Portola wrote:

Dear Mr. Bustard,

Oh dear -- how embarrassing is that?  Well, it could be worse, I suppose -- you could have pointed out my zipper was down when I wasn't wearing underwear. 

LOL, that was the first thing I saw and stopped reading. Maybe you can get a Mod to correct the original post for you.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Great Bustard
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Apr 2, 2013

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Portola wrote:

Dear Mr. Bustard,

LOL, that was the first thing I saw and stopped reading. Maybe you can get a Mod to correct the original post for you.

I was thinking that, but then it seems such a shame to erase a blunder of that magnitude, don't you think? 

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

24-70 / 5.6

A.K.A. 70-200 / 5.6

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,508
Like?
Always great to read your posts!

Maljo

Great Bustard
Like?
Kind of you to say!
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, Apr 2, 2013

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

Maljo

By the way, what's your email? 

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,498Gear list
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Portola wrote:

Dear Mr. Bustard,

I was thinking that, but then it seems such a shame to erase a blunder of that magnitude, don't you think? 

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

24-70 / 5.6

A.K.A. 70-200 / 5.6

Are you sure about that Joe? What I thought you actually meant to say is that a 12-35/2.8 on MFT is equivalent to a 70-200/16 on MFE.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Great Bustard
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 2, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Portola wrote:

Dear Mr. Bustard,

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

24-70 / 5.6

A.K.A. 70-200 / 5.6

Are you sure about that Joe? What I thought you actually meant to say is that a 12-35/2.8 on MFT is equivalent to a 70-200/16 on MFE.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

Good explanation.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

"in other words, simply because 35-100mm f/2.8 on mFT is equivalent to 70-200mm f/5.6 on FF"

Jeez man, not again, a 2.8`s, a 2.8 unless your being anal.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Great Bustard
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 2, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Good explanation.

I also appreciate your fixing of my goof in the OP!

Great Bustard
Like?
On "f/2.8 = f/2.8" and "being anal"
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 2, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

"in other words, simply because 35-100mm f/2.8 on mFT is equivalent to 70-200mm f/5.6 on FF"

Saying "f/2.8 = f/2.8" is no more or less true than saying "50mm = 50mm".  In other words, it makes no more sense to compare f/2.8 on mFT to f/2.8 on FF than it does to compare 50mm on mFT to 50mm on FF.

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,505Gear list
Like?

Alumna Gorp wrote:

my cell ph camera lens w/ 2.6 aperture is better, right ?... makes me wonder why I am not getting a better image out of that and where is by OOF blur or rather where is my OOF at all ? ... it is a brighter aperture, is it not ?

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
Alumna Gorp
Like?
Re: On "f/2.8 = f/2.8" and "being anal"

Great Bustard wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Saying "f/2.8 = f/2.8" is no more or less true than saying "50mm = 50mm".  In other words, it makes no more sense to compare f/2.8 on mFT to f/2.8 on FF than it does to compare 50mm on mFT to 50mm on FF.

Nope a 2.8 is a 2.8, and any exposer meter will tell you so

But your going on about DOF, a totaly different ball game.

Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Great Bustard
Like?

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Nope a 2.8 is a 2.8, any light meter will tell you so

50mm = 50mm -- any lens will tell you so.

Not just DOF, but the total amount of light projected on the sensor for a given shutter speed.  For example, 50mm f/2.8 1/100 projects four times as much light on the sensor as 25mm f/2.8 1/100 on mFT (resulting in half the noise for equally efficient sensors), or, alternatively, 50mm f/5.6 1/100 on FF projects the same total amount of light on the sensor as 25mm f/2.8 1/100 on mFT (which will result in the same noise for equally efficient sensors).

So, instead of quoting numbers without knowing what these numbers have to do with the visual properties of the final photo, you might wish to instead consider how these numbers relate to the visual properties of the final photo.

Alumna Gorp
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Nope a 2.8 is a 2.8, any light meter will tell you so

50mm = 50mm -- any lens will tell you so.

Not just DOF, but the total amount of light projected on the sensor for a given shutter speed.  For example, 50mm f/2.8 1/100 projects four times as much light on the sensor as 25mm f/2.8 1/100 on mFT (resulting in half the noise for equally efficient sensors), or, alternatively, 50mm f/5.6 1/100 on FF projects the same total amount of light on the sensor as 25mm f/2.8 1/100 on mFT (which will result in the same noise for equally efficient sensors).

So, instead of quoting numbers without knowing what these numbers have to do with the visual properties of the final photo, you might wish to instead consider how these numbers relate to the visual properties of the final photo.

I`m a bloody artist not a ******* scientist

Get a life......

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads