Camera Freeze

Started Apr 2, 2013 | User reviews
Artmech
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Camera Freeze
Apr 2, 2013

I bought the 650D because of the flip screen for video, but the camera froze several times on a very random scale when set for video and with live view, changed the body for another but same fault. Canon UK said that they had not experienced the problem but lots of other examples on the net. Canon only solution was get a refund, must be a big problem to sort out the fault as the 650D is now discontinued. The repair workshop could not find the fault on the first body and said it could be the 18-135 STM lens, the SD card, a bad switch or a combination. Very disappointing the response from Canon never replied to the last email, but I have the fault on video so I shall put it on youtube at some stage.

Artmech's gear list:Artmech's gear list
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Artmech's score
Average community score
Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
Re: Camera Freeze
In reply to Artmech, Apr 2, 2013

This seems more like a rant than a review.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,804Gear list
Like?

Artmech wrote:

I bought the 650D because of the flip screen for video, but the camera froze several times on a very random scale when set for video and with live view, changed the body for another but same fault. Canon UK said that they had not experienced the problem but lots of other examples on the net. Canon only solution was get a refund, must be a big problem to sort out the fault as the 650D is now discontinued. The repair workshop could not find the fault on the first body and said it could be the 18-135 STM lens, the SD card, a bad switch or a combination. Very disappointing the response from Canon never replied to the last email, but I have the fault on video so I shall put it on youtube at some stage.

Or you could give us a better description of your problem.  What do you mean by "freeze", what is happening?

Is it the thermal protection kicking in because you've had video or live view on too long (p. 165, 195)?

What SD card are you using (brand, class rating, ...) and have you tried another brand or the recommended Class 10?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,754
Like?

Artmech wrote:

I bought the 650D because of the flip screen for video, but the camera froze several times on a very random scale when set for video and with live view, changed the body for another but same fault. Canon UK said that they had not experienced the problem but lots of other examples on the net. Canon only solution was get a refund, must be a big problem to sort out the fault as the 650D is now discontinued.

Freezing "is" such a big problem I don't recall anyone else posting here about it...?

The 650D has been discontinued to be replaced with a slightly changed model that comes with a better lens for video. There's probably little changed from the 600D or any prior Rebels that did video. It hasn't been discontinued for a problem they can't fix. Really now.

So whatever the problem was, I suggest you take your money back and buy another camera since you have uncommonly bad luck with Canon, and good luck with your new model.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Artmech
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, Apr 2, 2013

Well wouldn't you rant if it was the second camera with the same fault and Canon could not be bothered to reply to a request for help. Can I ask would it be fair to review two faulty cameras. I thought that those people interested in buying the 650D should know that the camera had an ongoing fault. Surely it cant be a good thing to keep taking the battery out to reset the camera. I bought the camera to use with its video capabilities but it seems there is a problem. Anyway thanks for the comment.

Artmech
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Apr 2, 2013

Hi I bought it with the 18-135 STM for that very reason to do video, but a camera needs to be reliable. I understand from the service company that it could be a software problem but it was raised on another thread about 5 months ago, but there does not seem to be a fix for the fault. I would be happy if it did what it was supposed to do. Thanks for your interest but just be careful when you use video or live view. Cheers.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

No I wouldn't rant on an online forum.If I was unfortunate enough to have an issue I'd sort it out with either the retailer or the manufacturer .By all means bring the issue to attention via a forum to see if anyone can help but don't use a review just to air your grievance,a review should highlight the good as well as the bad. I really hope you can get this resolved asap as the 650D is a great camera for the money.Good luck.

Regards DS

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,754
Like?

Artmech wrote:

Hi I bought it with the 18-135 STM for that very reason to do video, but a camera needs to be reliable. I understand from the service company that it could be a software problem but it was raised on another thread about 5 months ago, but there does not seem to be a fix for the fault. I would be happy if it did what it was supposed to do. Thanks for your interest but just be careful when you use video or live view. Cheers.

One suggestion, in case you haven't tried it, make sure that you do a low-level format of your memory card INSIDE the camera, have the camera do it and don't rely on a preformatted card or one that you've formatted somewhere else. Cameras can be very finicky about their memory card formatting and I can see that causing issues such as this. It's free to try doing it, so if you haven't yet you might want to. It just doesn't seem to have been a common issue around here for that camera, though maybe most users here don't do a lot of video.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Artmech
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, Apr 2, 2013

Hi Yes you are right I should not rant and thanks for reminding me, I forgot that the dark side trawl forums. I did like the camera for about 30 mins before it went wrong, the flip screen is good, the lens is quiet in focus operation and so on. The good points I would expect it is a camera but it really must work as the manufacturer says. I should of done more research but I was sucked in by the advertising and the good comments. I should of searched "Possible firmware bug 650D/T4i?" 6 months ago in dpreview. Thanks for your good wishes but it will have to go back and I shall think again, the camera did tick a lot of boxes but Canon service did not. I shall keep you posted about what Canon do. Cheers thanks for the good luck.

Artmech
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Apr 2, 2013

Hi thanks for that suggestion but search "Possible firmware bug 650D/T4i?" in dpreview. I must be very unlucky to get two cameras with same fault. I asked Canon for help as I thought I must be doing something wrong but to be told take it back and get a refund just pushes the problem on the camera shop. At least it is good to know that I am not the only one with a 650D that locks up, but I am sure like others it is to do with the auto focus continuous setting and the live view and the mirror being up. Cheers and thanks again.

lacix
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?

...is too unfortunate, but you are not the only one with this problem!
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50064228

Turning “Continuous AF” OFF, and carefully move the on/off switch
eliminated the lockups for me. Try not to push the switch from the Off position directly to Movie mode. Wait for the sensor cleaning! Do it stepwise, Off >On >Movie.
Looks like, instead of recall, Canon dumped  the 650D, and replacing it with 700D!?

UBL

lacix's gear list:lacix's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +1 more
Artmech
Like?
In reply to Lemming51, Apr 2, 2013

Lemming51 wrote:

Artmech wrote:

Or you could give us a better description of your problem.  What do you mean by "freeze", what is happening?

Is it the thermal protection kicking in because you've had video or live view on too long (p. 165, 195)?

What SD card are you using (brand, class rating, ...) and have you tried another brand or the recommended Class 10?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Hi thanks for the interest, the first camera had been switched on for about 10 mins  and as it was the first time it was in full Auto in video mode. All the buttons and switches stopped working and the camera could not be switched off, the battery had to be removed. The battery was fully charged and did go on working for a good long time. It happened with a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s class 10 16gb, a Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s class 10 8gb and an Integral class 10 23MB/s all formatted in the camera before use. The second camera had the fault after I switched the camera on first time that day in Tv setting and immediately switched to video, the mirror came up  and I pressed the menu button but nothing, all the buttons and switches had no effect. However the screen in live view was on and the touch facility worked but did not operate the camera, so this camera had failed or froze as well. I was able to video the fault and I have sent some stills to Canon and the guys in Glasgow who have the first camera in for repair. I shall keep you posted if and when I get an update. Cheers.

Artmech
Like?
In reply to lacix, Apr 2, 2013

lacix wrote:

...is too unfortunate, but you are not the only one with this problem!
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50064228

Turning “Continuous AF” OFF, and carefully move the on/off switch
eliminated the lockups for me. Try not to push the switch from the Off position directly to Movie mode. Wait for the sensor cleaning! Do it stepwise, Off >On >Movie.
Looks like, instead of recall, Canon dumped  the 650D, and replacing it with 700D!?

UBL

I was talking to some friends in the coffee shop the other day being asked how I got on with the 650D, and had to tell them of the problem when one of the guys said "I had a Canon G 11 and that use to lock up, it went back I said get a Nikon didn't I". I wonder if they have fixed it on the 700D only time will tell. I have tried to recreate the fault but cant, and neither can the repair shop in Glasgow. Canon UK said they have never had or heard of the problem, could be in the dial as that is the only hardware change and it could be on the same circuit board. Thanks for the info but if Canon cant be bothered to reply to my email it had best go back. Cheers.

minircc
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to Artmech, Apr 22, 2013

Sounds like you have a bad copy because mine doesn't have any of the issues you have mentioned. Works flawlessly..

minircc's gear list:minircc's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Miek51
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Artmech, 7 months ago

Mine did egzactly that today. I could not turn it off so I pulled the battery door open and that did the trick. Stumped to as why it did that, going back to noel lemming where I bought it.

Phhoenyxx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,279Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miek51, 7 months ago

Miek51 wrote:

Mine did egzactly that today. I could not turn it off so I pulled the battery door open and that did the trick. Stumped to as why it did that, going back to noel lemming where I bought it.

Update the camera to firmware 1.0.4. It resolves the freezing issue.

-- hide signature --

"Amp up and amplify! Defy! I'm a brother with a furious mind!"

Phhoenyxx's gear list:Phhoenyxx's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phhoenyxx, 7 months ago

Anytime two camera bodies are doing this, try a different memory card (assuming the same card is used in both cameras).  And what spyware is written to the card by the manufacture.

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Phhoenyxx
Like?
In reply to ZX11, 7 months ago

ZX11 wrote:

Anytime two camera bodies are doing this, try a different memory card (assuming the same card is used in both cameras).  And what spyware is written to the card by the manufacture.

Canon has released a firmware update for the EOS Rebel T4i digital cameras .

Affected Product
EOS Rebel T4i

Details
Firmware Version 1.0.4 incorporates the following fixes:

1. Fixes the following phenomena which may occur when the camera is used in combination with certain lens models equipped with a stepping motor.
Affected lenses: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.
        1. The camera may freeze in rare instances if you try to shoot with a lens cap attached or meter a subject in low contrast in Live View (or Movie) shooting.
        2. Fine focus adjustment may not be possible in Remote Live View on the EOS Utility software.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which some SD card products are not recognized by the camera.
3. Corrects some misspellings displayed on the menu screen.

Firmware Version 1.0.4 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.0.1 or earlier. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.0.4, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248090cddd

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Miek51
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Phhoenyxx, 7 months ago

How do I do that? Plug the USB into the computer? Then what. It's all new to me. Still not sure why it did that.

Phhoenyxx
Like?
In reply to Miek51, 7 months ago

Miek51 wrote:

How do I do that? Plug the USB into the computer? Then what. It's all new to me. Still not sure why it did that.

You can download the firmware here:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t4i#DriversAndSoftware

Once you downloaded the Zip file, extract it. Once extracted, you will find the actual firmware file (CCF13104.FIR) and a folder with PDF instructions.

There are two ways to install it: Copying the file on the memory card or connecting the camera to the computer.

The SD card must have been formatted in the camera, and it needs to no smaller than 64 MB and no bigger than 64 GB. The battery should be fully charged.

1- Insert SD card in your PC's card reader.

2- Copy the firmware to the root of the SD card (not in a folder/subfolder).

3- Remove the SD card from your PC's card reader.

4- Rotate the mode dial to P mode (or one of the creative modes like Av, Tv, or M).

5- Insert the SD card in the camera.

6- Turn the camera on and press the Menu button.

7- Go to Setup tab 4 (the 4th Wrench) and select the Firmware option (last one on that tab) and press Set.

8- Select OK and press Set, then wait for it to complete.

If you want to do it by connecting the camera to the computer...

1- Rotate the mode dial to P mode (or one of the creative modes like Av, Tv, or M).

2- Insert the SD card in the camera.

3- Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable and turn the camera on.

4- Start EOS Utility.

5- Click the Camera Settings / Remote Shooting option.

6- Click on the Settings button (3rd button - looks like a wrench and some other tool) and click on Firmware.

7- Click OK to confirm you want to install the firmware update.

8- A window will appear to find the firmware file (CCF13104.FIR) on your computer. Find it and click Open.

9- Confirmation window will appear. Click OK to confirm.

10- A warning message will appear. Read it and click OK.

11- Follow the progress of the update on the camera until it completes.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads